Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot 29 rounds of 5/16 steel at an 8inX10in catch box holding the 4cm target Bill sent me with the Alien Menace prototype at 21 ft seated in a sturdy folding chair. I put duct tape on the floor so my feet would be in the same position for each shot. I got one hit in the first 19 shots when I noticed a tear at the upper band at the pouch. I thought what the heck and took another shot, a hit! Changing the bandset took maybe a minute. When I sat back down the next two shots were hits. So 4 out of 29. If anyone is mainly looking for accuracy, I can't recommend this slingshot enough. When I was into air rifles I fell into the speed/ power trap. Oh, you could get both, but for big (to me) bucks. Fork hits with this slingshot are next to if not completely impossible as they rotate. I shoot 25-35 shots a day. If a 73 year old geezer can do it, anyone ( unless they're blind or too young) can. Oh, and I took the advice of others and put a blanket behind the catch box, so no more holes in the wall. I bought the catch box from Amazon (China) and it's advertised as being collapsible. Unless you have a elf in your house small enough to tie the tiny pieces of ribbon, forget collapse. I used zip ties. Bill, you've got a winner and I hope you sell a bunch of these. I know 4 out of 29 ain't squat, but it's a start and I'm pumped. Thanks again.
Randy Wells

16 Posts
Way to go. I guess they just don't get any better than Bill Hays. He could be called the Grand Master of Slingshot Shooting. A living legend. I have a good friend who insist that a rotating head on a slingshot would be the only way to go. He is not a slingshot shooter but he is somewhat of the inventive type and likes to come up with the new and improved version of everything he grabs hold of.

I'll be watching the Pocket Predator website for the Alien Menace to be available for sale. Wonder what other new designs will be forth coming as well?

I like that duct tape on the floor idea for getting your stance just right for each and every shot. Makes a lot of sense.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
I shot 29 rounds of 5/16 steel at an 8inX10in catch box holding the 4cm target Bill sent me with the Alien Menace prototype at 21 ft seated in a sturdy folding chair. I put duct tape on the floor so my feet would be in the same position for each shot. I got one hit in the first 19 shots when I noticed a tear at the upper band at the pouch. I thought what the heck and took another shot, a hit! Changing the bandset took maybe a minute. When I sat back down the next two shots were hits. So 4 out of 29. If anyone is mainly looking for accuracy, I can't recommend this slingshot enough. When I was into air rifles I fell into the speed/ power trap. Oh, you could get both, but for big (to me) bucks. Fork hits with this slingshot are next to if not completely impossible as they rotate. I shoot 25-35 shots a day. If a 73 year old geezer can do it, anyone ( unless they're blind or too young) can. Oh, and I took the advice of others and put a blanket behind the catch box, so no more holes in the wall. I bought the catch box from Amazon (China) and it's advertised as being collapsible. Unless you have a elf in your house small enough to tie the tiny pieces of ribbon, forget collapse. I used zip ties. Bill, you've got a winner and I hope you sell a bunch of these. I know 4 out of 29 ain't squat, but it's a start and I'm pumped. Thanks again.
Randy Wells
You're to kind Randy... I'm sure there'd be many on the forum that would help as much if not more, if they had the resources.

And like I said before, one good reason I have the resources is because of the help I received in the beginning as well....

So Randy, when you get to expert level... it'll be your turn to pass it along, giving your insights, advice and support to newbies who could use it!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Randy Wells
You're to kind Randy... I'm sure there'd be many on the forum that would help as much if not more, if they had the resources.
And like I said before, one good reason I have the resources is because of the help I received in the beginning as well....

So Randy, when you get to expert level... it'll be your turn to pass it along, giving your insights, advice and support to newbies who could use it!
I realize you are busy so I don't expect an answer very soon. Since I'M 73 and the clock is ticking, the max distance I can shoot in my apartment is 26 feet. Proportionally,what size target should I practice on at 26 ft. I know I'm getting ahead of myself as I haven't mastered your 4cm one yet, but like I said: tick tock, tick tock. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Randy Wells

I realize you are busy so I don't expect an answer very soon. Since I'M 73 and the clock is ticking, the max distance I can shoot in my apartment is 26 feet. Proportionally,what size target should I practice on at 26 ft. I know I'm getting ahead of myself as I haven't mastered your 4cm one yet, but like I said: tick tock, tick tock. Thanks
If I were at 26' then I would expect myself to hit a 20mm or about 0.75" target maybe 75 to 90% of the time.... but we're putting the horse before the cart now.

Remember, it's about the journey, not the destination.... but it's good to have measurable progress and achievable waypoints along the way.

You've been shooting a slingshot for a very short amount of time, so I'd expect you not to be shooting at an expert level yet... and that's the thing, it's not really about shooting as well or better than a particular person... it's more about challenging yourself to be better and better day by day, improving, getting sharper, increasing confidence, improving your perception of self.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Randy Wells

If I were at 26' then I would expect myself to hit a 20mm or about 0.75" target maybe 75 to 90% of the time.... but we're putting the horse before the cart now.
Remember, it's about the journey, not the destination.... but it's good to have measurable progress and achievable waypoints along the way.
You've been shooting a slingshot for a very short amount of time, so I'd expect you not to be shooting at an expert level yet... and that's the thing, it's not really about shooting as well or better than a particular person... it's more about challenging yourself to be better and better day by day, improving, getting sharper, increasing confidence, improving your perception of self.
I hear ya Bill. Yesterday I tried a 50 shot, no rest session. Got 7 hits in the first 25 or so, then...zilch. Most of the misses were to the left of the spinner. I'm going to cut back to 25- 30 today.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
I hear ya Bill. Yesterday I tried a 50 shot, no rest session. Got 7 hits in the first 25 or so, then...zilch. Most of the misses were to the left of the spinner. I'm going to cut back to 25- 30 today.
You might try shooting off the "bench" for about half the shots and the other half free hold... That may reinforce the aiming principles... after all, you never want to end on a miss!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll remember what you said about not ending a session with a miss, as I did today. I made some changes: I'm not using a rest any more. I'm sitting in a heavy folding chair 90 degrees to the target with the left foot moved 45 degrees. I've started using the breathing technique taught in the Marines. After watching you be in another video shooting the Alien Menace prototype, and another post, I realized (again) how important but timing is. When your left arm is fully extended, your release is between 1-2 seconds, using thousand one, thousand two. I reduced today's session to 25 shots, and while it was nothing to write home about, I felt better about it than yesterday's 50 round shoot.

You might try shooting off the "bench" for about half the shots and the other half free hold... That may reinforce the aiming principles... after all, you never want to end on a miss!

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
I'll remember what you said about not ending a session with a miss, as I did today. I made some changes: I'm not using a rest any more. I'm sitting in a heavy folding chair 90 degrees to the target with the left foot moved 45 degrees. I've started using the breathing technique taught in the Marines. After watching you be in another video shooting the Alien Menace prototype, and another post, I realized (again) how important but timing is. When your left arm is fully extended, your release is between 1-2 seconds, using thousand one, thousand two. I reduced today's session to 25 shots, and while it was nothing to write home about, I felt better about it than yesterday's 50 round shoot.

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

First.I did finish today's session be on a miss. After discovering and correcting the 1/4 in movement of the forks I have begun to ascertain why the majority of my misses be are to the left of the 4cm target. I recall reading that the most important aspect of shooting a slingshot or bow is the release. As I understand it the thumb should be pointing straight down the band. Mine wasn't, but was pointing slightly to the left. So I believe I must alter my grip on the pouch. Make sense ?

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Yes, it's better to have the thumb in line with the bands, pointed straight at the target... However, so long as you're holding the ball in the pouch by the sides of the ball, and not in front of the ball, and the release is even with no thumb or finger tweaking of the pouch... everything in line, thumb, wrist, forearm, elbow and shoulder... head cocked to the side enough to put the dominant eye dead in line over the bands.

Anyway, 'nuff said, you already got the idea!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Am no longer shooting the Alien Menace prototype to the left. Made some changes to: gripping the pouch, draw technique, and anchor point. Shot 40 5/16 steel and made improvement over yesterday. I won't cite any numbers because after spending several years on airgun forums I realized some people will make outrageous claims about their marksmanship. One guy even suggested jokingly ? to shoot at a close distance and post the target on the forum with a further distance written on it. As I believe Bill Hays said, it's about improvement, not being " better" than others.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
That's right! Gotta be honest with yourself. We are not here to impress, we are here to learn from each other, support one another, and enjoy the camaraderie amongst each other in this great forum!

Sling On my brother!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright Randy!
Your strength, confidence and accuracy are all improving... super, man.... that's what it's all about!
Alright Randy!
Your strength, confidence and accuracy are all improving... super, man.... that's wh at it's all about!
After today's session of shooting the Alien Menace prototype I noticed that when the holding hand is held at arm's length and as vertical as possible, the top section of the fork ( the one that's bent to hold the band with the aiming line) is not as parallel to the frame as the lower piece. I hope I'M making sense. In other words it sticks out further from the handle than does the bottom one. Is this " normal" ?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts