Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rather than trim the band to length, you might try using the whole band with a loop at the fork end. This might add a tapered effect and add an extra thickness at a point where you tie to the forks. I was going to rubber cement this extra band area to eliminate friction between the two layers of rubber. I would probably try that type of rubber cement used for bicycle patch...maybe contact cement...not sure yet...Maybe others have tried this to eliminate friction between bands at critical contact points...(?)

·
Registered
348 Posts
As far as price for the 1 pound box of Alliance #107 Sterlings (also the 33`s, 64`s etc.) Staples stores seem to have most beat..... $4.89 each...If you have a store close to you place an order with the clerk and they will ship free to your local store...Free shipping to your home for orders of $75 or more....Shipping for one box to your home wouldn`t be worth it...

·
Registered
348 Posts
JSKEEN....Earlier in the thread I suggested that the extra band be folded over and rubber cemented (like a tire patch)...it should hold, and this would eliminate the need for it to be tied...also, by making the looped end into a solid piece you will be eliminating friction (rubbing between two layers of band)...some experimentation is needed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
For single bands, or those folded over with a short loop, wouldn`t the Alliance #105`s be a more practical choice? When cut they measure 10 inches, and you get 70 {?} to the box...more bang for the same buck spent!

·
Registered
348 Posts
According to Alliance`s specifications Pale Gold Crepe bands have the highest rubber content...about 95%...Though some members do speak poorly of the gold crepe type their have been others that use them...I am not sure, but I think the Sterling brand may be closer to 80% or 85% rubber content...You would have to check with the Alliance website to be sure...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can understand Natural Forks feeling towards Pale Crepe Gold types, but Bill Hays has recently done a video making comparisons with different types of rubber setups with results worth noting...While using a chain setup with Pale Crepe Golds his results indicate better results than Natural Forks...Perry also uses PCG #107`s on some slings with better results than indicated...Also, in ad promos I`ve seen Sterlings are described as "...Ergonomic...Easy stretch to help avoid Capal Tunnel Syndrome..."

·
Registered
348 Posts
In many cases, the description of a product can be decieving...The seller tries to tell us things about the product we want to hear in order to make a sale...I imagine the only way is to study the available specs and make an accurate test of the product...The forums members seem to have varied opinions on a lot of products used for making slingshots...It might help us all to set up some kind of testing standards...Or possibly use a legitamate test group to sort out the true qualities of a popular product...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I took the advise of geron and placed an order with DYKEMA RUBBER BAND company...They have a 2 pound minimum order requirement @ $6 a pound for #107 with a $5 prioity shipping fee...4 day service and nice bands that are supposed to be 90% natural rubber...The plastic bags are marked a product of Thailand...best of all, no additives in the rubber to soften the action...I don`t have a chrony so I can`t make proper tests, but it seems like a sensible investment...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts