Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Good thread Henry, I will be following it with intrest.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Amazon has them for $7.49 for 1 lb box, 50 bands, shipping is $6.50, still a cheap alternative to 25 sets of purchased Latex bands.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Ordered a box today, should have them this Friday, can't wait to try them. I will post chrony results when I shoot them. Thanks Henry for a great post.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
I recieved my Sterling 107 Crepe bands today from Amazon. Couldnt wait to try them. I am impressed. I shot around 30 break in shots at 10 meters then set up the Chrony. My draw length is only 27 1/2" so with 3/8" steel i was getting 153FPS Avg. I drew to approx 34" like Henry does and I got 173FPS Avg. 457 lead was only at 135FPS at my draw length and 153FPS at 34" draw.

Working length was 7 1/4", no hand slap at all. I used my EPS for this short test.

I will definately use them for target with the 3/8" steel but I have recently tried .050 latex 7/8X5/8X7 1/2" long and get 185FPS with the same 3/8 steel and 165FPS with .457 lead so will stay with that for Hunting,

Can't beat the price for a 107 band set and Henry has already seen good life so I say give them a try. With my latest cut of .030 latex I am going through a set of bands every other day so this is a great alternative.

Thanks Henry, great find and thread.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
I recieved my Sterling 107 Crepe bands today from Amazon. Couldnt wait to try them. I am impressed. I shot around 30 break in shots at 10 meters then set up the Chrony. My draw length is only 27 1/2" so with 3/8" steel i was getting 153FPS Avg. I drew to approx 34" like Henry does and I got 173FPS Avg. 457 lead was only at 135FPS at my draw length and 153FPS at 34" draw.

Working length was 7 1/4", no hand slap at all. I used my EPS for this short test.

I will definately use them for target with the 3/8" steel but I have recently tried .050 latex 7/8X5/8X7 1/2" long and get 185FPS with the same 3/8 steel and 165FPS with .457 lead so will stay with that for Hunting,

Can't beat the price for a 107 band set and Henry has already seen good life so I say give them a try. With my latest cut of .030 latex I am going through a set of bands every other day so this is a great alternative.

Thanks Henry, great find and thread.
Philly
Your numbers are pretty close to agreement with mine. I have only .25 steel, and no lead of the same size, but after seeing your measurements, I think I can pretty well trust the numbers I'm seeing with my Acer Netbook/Linux/Audacity setup. And from your numbers, it doesn't seem the Crepe bands are much different in speed from the Sterling.

Thanks,

Henry
[/quote]

Yes Henry, very close, when the bands start to tear I will cut them to 6 1/2" working length and do some more chrony tests. BTW, they are Sterling 107's not Crepe, I mispoke in my response..
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
I am over 400 shots on my first set, i have them ser at 7 1/4" working length at around 150Fps.with 3/8 steel. No difference in accuracy from .030" custom cut latex to 25 meters that i can see.

Henry, what length are you using now?
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Tried out of the box cut in half today, they have a working length of 6 1/4" . With my short 27 1/2" draw the are almost maxed on elongation and produce hand slap with 3/8" steel and lead.

3/8 steel 174FPS
.375 lead 170FPS
.310 lead 186FPS
.457 lead 135FPS

Again this is at a short draw of 27 1/2"

There was a gain of 20FPS with 3/8 steel but not worth the hand slap. I will try to lengthen by 1/2" longer later to see whare I get. What I was trying, was to see if I could get one set of bands from a single band. Can be done but you would need to shoot heavier balls and then the speed will drop off, I shoot 3/8 steel for practice, 200+ shots a day so I want to find a happy medium of decent speed and no slap.I am shooting well at 7 1/4" worhing length, (153 FPS) comfortable but would like to get to 160/165 FPS compromise. My 1'x3/4"x .030 latex gives me 185FPS and is very comfortable.

the quest continues,
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Same here Henry, I've posted everything I know about them and how I have been using them, overall length, working length, band sizes, ammo sizes and Chrony readings I guess you can't please everybody all the time.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
SS, sometime we all can be a little too sensitive, no offence taken or intended.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Henry, amazing, I have to make a set up and run them through the Chrony.The only issue I see is how to attach for OTT? I guess just tie over the doubled band that should work. Great thread.
Philly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts