Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Great work, Henry!
I think I'll go ahead and make up a set to use when my current fixed tube setup breaks. I haven't used them in a while and never with the 1/2" steel that I've been shooting.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Just came in from shooting with some of these.
I cut one band in half to make my set, which is a trick I picked up from Bane of Small Game. After a handfull of shots the bands settled in to where they just bottom out at my usual anchor. So far I'm impressed! Shooting was very good from out to 20yds and draw weight was comperable to my favorite 4-strand 2040 tubes.
I have them on a natural I just made and realized while shooting that the whole setup (fork, bands and Performance Catapults pouch) cost less than the ammo I had in my pocket!

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Tried out of the box cut in half today, they have a working length of 6 1/4" . With my short 27 1/2" draw the are almost maxed on elongation and produce hand slap with 3/8" steel and lead.

3/8 steel 174FPS
.375 lead 170FPS
.310 lead 186FPS
.457 lead 135FPS

Again this is at a short draw of 27 1/2"

There was a gain of 20FPS with 3/8 steel but not worth the hand slap. I will try to lengthen by 1/2" longer later to see whare I get. What I was trying, was to see if I could get one set of bands from a single band. Can be done but you would need to shoot heavier balls and then the speed will drop off, I shoot 3/8 steel for practice, 200+ shots a day so I want to find a happy medium of decent speed and no slap.I am shooting well at 7 1/4" worhing length, (153 FPS) comfortable but would like to get to 160/165 FPS compromise. My 1'x3/4"x .030 latex gives me 185FPS and is very comfortable.

the quest continues,
Philly
Hmmm...
I used a set of cut-in-halfs with 1/2" steel and my 34-ish" draw and it worked fine. Granted, I tied them on the fork with very little left over below the tie and tried to be as efficient as possible with the pouch tie as well. They seem to settle in a bit as you use them, right now at my draw they're at about 95% of maximum stretch.
I actually have a video about this loading as we speak, stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
After a few break-in shots, I set up my makeshift chronometer and fired off 10 rounds. Frankly, I was flabbergasted! Shooting .375 cal (9.4 mm) lead balls, this roughly $1.00 bandset ran a 10 round average of 222.7 fps (67.88 ms), and was extremely consistent. The slowest was 214.7 fps and the fastest was 228.9.

View attachment 10301
Holy crap!
Let us know how they hold up because that is some serious power.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
A tip for using 107s:
Stretching them out several times before you cut them has two benifits, it cuts down on break in time for the bands and it makes it easier to see the "joint" in the band where the flat strip was connected in to a loop. All bands have this and it's very benificial to band life and consistency to cut on this joint when you make these bands.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Blew out a 1/2 cut set in less than 100 shots yesterday... probably just a bum band.
Other set went about 400. I have them on my Performance Catapults ETS now with it's lovely ramped tips. Maybe that will extend the life a bit.
Still diggin' them!

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I got my pound of 107's today and tried cutting one band in half and shooting with it. Definitely too short for my 34" draw. But I still had fun shooting very fast with the bandset. Just too short for my style. I need 8 inches from fork to pouch. So with the price I paid, I'm only going to be spending 20 cents a bandset. That is awesome.

Btw, I even shot some good sized stones and hit a soda can very hard from 10 yards. Not bad. Really crumpled it.
That's about what my draw is, too. There's definately a break-in period when using them that short.
I'd be afraid of losing too much speed by making them any longer. As it stands they're fine but not spectacular with 1/2". Fixed 4-strand 1745s are waaay faster at just a little more draw weight. They're more expensive per bandset but they last alot longer, so I'm sure the cost per shot is closer to even. I'm sure 1842s are the same story with less draw weight but I don't have any 1842 right now so I can't say for sure.
Don't mean to bring down the 107s. They're fun to shoot, easy to make and very cheap. I just ordered a box myself.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
After watching MJ, I knew something was wrong. I could only draw to my cheek with the bands cut in half. So I re-measured my draw length. I guess my style has changed. I'm closer to a 36-inch draw. He's right, they do stretch out, but I'm just about bottoming them out so I don't think I will get max life out of these.

On the other hand, I have a set that's 8-inches from fork to pouch that I've been shooting every day for weeks now. Lots and lots of shots on it now and I keep (resting on experience with flatbands) thinking they must be going to break any time, but there is still no sign of wear. Sure wish I'd kept count. But know I'm up in the chinese-tube range. I do not, however, expect these bands to surpass the 17-45's but in my opinion, for target shooting these are a whole lot more fun to shoot with. Accuracy is better for me too. I am diggin' these to the max.
A big 10-4 on all those points, good buddy!
I should go to the back of the class and write 100 times "I will not dismiss something until I try it". I cut myself a set of 8" 107s today and they work great for 1/2". Sweeter pull and less handslap than the cut-in-halfs and they'll probably last twice as long so the extra cost is moot. No break-in required. I too find them more accurate than 1745s. I think something about the "structure" of the tubes collapsing colors the shot, especially when they're tied on OTT. It's less noticable with 2040s and I think it's because they're so much thinner.
8" 107s might just be the way to go. I have them on the natural in my avatar (still my best shooter...) now and will try to keep track of the shot count on them.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
105s would seem to make more sense.
I figured I would just cut the "leftovers" from the 107s in half and use them as fork ties.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Per Dayhiker's example I put a set of these on my Hammermil. I cut them at 12", tied at the pouch and then put the middle tie at 3.5" from bottom for an effective length of 8" from fork tie to pouch.
I have a video of my exploits with this setup uploading now but just as a teaser...
Holy crap these things are fast! I'll probably make the next set a little longer if these blow out too quickly but DH's proclimation of "Power/Pull Nirvana" is on the money as far as I'm concerned. They're a genuine pain in the butt to make but the performance is awesome.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
i'm interested to know what doubling these bands might do? I have no experience of flatbands (and hardly any experience at all!) But I notice even most of the much revered TBG hunting bands seem to be doubled up. Would this make a noticeable difference for hunting perhaps?
Doubling them just makes them crazy-heavy.
There's info in this thread about "tapering" the 107 bands. This is a much better option than doubling. they don't last very long but if all you're doing with them is hunting then you're not taking that many shots anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I've got a record setting (for me) 600 shots on my current set .There's the start of a hole under the pouch tie but judging by previous sets I should get another 50-75 out of them.
I run the bands at 8" tie-to-tie into a 33-34" draw and shoot 7/16" steel. This combo makes for reliable shooting out to at least 30yds, which is as far back as I can get. I always shoot in sets of 25 for shot counting and accuracy measurement and the first time I used 7/16 with these bands I broke my hit record on a hanging can from 25yds (11/25, still not great but a definate improvement from this past spring).

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
My last set of 107s did real well right up until they broke at 900 shots. The current set seems to have lost much of it's tangy zip at 500. This set was about 1/4" shorter initally which is what I think made the difference. If you have to "break them in" you're also breaking them down and reducing the useful life.
My theory, anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I put on a set of 1842 tubes today and they're sooooo much faster. As they should be since they pull quite a bit harder.
I'm still a fan of 107s though.
I also like the 107s a lot. But ... i think I will stick with using my normal flats simply for the speed.
[/quote]
As long as you don't mind the cutting I don't blame you. Speed is good!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts