Slingshots Forum banner

Alliance #107 Rubber Band Tests

136990 Views 327 Replies 95 Participants Last post by  wll
One of my favorite flat bands are ordinary Alliance #107 rubber bands, available from most office supply stores in the US, though I buy mine from Amazon.com. They are cheap, require no tricky cutting and last a long time. Are they good enough for you? Good question, so I decided to do some tests to help you decide.

For comparison, I used two identical frames, my own design La Cholita in half inch plywood. One frame was banded with #107s and the other with .050 food grade latex from RubberSheetRoll.com cut the same width as the #107s. Both bandsets were fitted with Performance Catapult's (Jim Harris) pouches. I tied them on with thin strips of TB Gold in an OTT configuration and 8 inches between the pouch-tie point and the frame.

The first step was to fire 25 break-in rounds with each slingshot. I used .375 (9.4 mm) lead balls, and got a bit of hand-slap with both, indicating there is more energy available. Then I measured my draw-length at 34 inches, and using a digital fish scale measured the pull strength at 14.08 pounds for the #107s and 11.44 pounds for the latex.

Next I set up my speed test equipment, consisting of a metal chair with a wooden stick affixed to the back and a clothespin to hold a 5x8 inch index card located exactly 10 feet away from my catch box fabric. Then I placed my Acer Netbook on the chair and using Audacity, I recorded the sounds of a dozen or so shots from each slingshot hitting first the 5x8 card and then the cloth backstop 10 feet away. Then I transferred the files to my big computer and read the files to measure the elapsed time between the two strikes. I entered that information into a spreadsheet and calculated the speed in fps for each shot and finally got an average speed and energy. Here are the results.

Average for 10 shots = 173.87 fps, 5.03 lbs/ft energy

.050 latex
Average for 10 shots = 183.95 fps, 5.60 lbs/ft energy

So far, no surprises. I expected the latex to be faster, but was pleasantly surprised to find the #107s to be as fast as they are.

Next, I will shoot both slingshots until the bandsets wear out or break. Past experience tells me to expect about 300 shots from the latex and more from the #107s. Every shot is recorded, so for the first time I will have an accurate count. Whichever breaks first will be replaced with a set of Tex's Field bands, and I will do the same speed, energy, and longevity tests on them, for comparison purposes. Note: Everyone already knows that Tex's bands are as good as it gets, so there really is no need for me to reinvent the wheel.

Henry

14 August, 2011 - The left side latex band broke at the pouch after 390 shots.
15 August, 2011 - 490 shots total on #107 bands. Very light scuffing at fork. No tears.
16 August, 2011 - 600 shots total on #107 bands. No tears.
17 August, 2011 - Velocity test - 178.7 fps 5.3 lb/ft energy
19 August, 2011 - Band broke at 696 shots
See less See more
Reactions: 5
141 - 160 of 328 Posts
I Agree 100% THE ARE GREAT FOR THE MONEY!
For me, the best thing about Alliance 107 bands has been that they got me to try Alliance 117b bands
See less See more
I've been shooting them all week and love the power, draw weight, ease of assembly and longevity.
Great rubber!
To be honest, I don't know why anyone would continue using chained rubber bands after seeing how much better and easier these are.
ok reading this post you have got me really liking this idea. i was going to make some tb flats but just costs too much for me. Do you think that if you didn't cut them but just left them whole, one on each side would work? I'm inerested in using these to hunt rabbits.
I am presently shopping for these. Laid up in bed atm (well, mostly in bed) with a tummy bug so not out and about much and doing a lot of reading.

It looks like staples.co.uk doesn't stock them. There's a guy on amazon selling them for £6.50 but there's a 3-5week waiting list for dispatch, another guy with 3-5 days but at £10,00 for 50 the prices seem less appealing than the £4 you guys seem to be paying ^^

Will try searching with metric conversions of the measurements and see if that yields results.

With regards to your comment Henry about not being able to take squirrel, I have never used a slingshot to hunt for anything, nor am I an expert at air rifle hunting, but I know that I have taken several squirrel with .22 calibre pellets at 11.8ft/lbs and you claimed one of the setups, (I forget which) to be capable of 14 ft/lbs. Is the difference here caused perhaps by the penetration of a .22 pellet compared to a heavier ball relying on the trauma of the impact?

i'm interested to know what doubling these bands might do? I have no experience of flatbands (and hardly any experience at all!) But I notice even most of the much revered TBG hunting bands seem to be doubled up. Would this make a noticeable difference for hunting perhaps?

I am seriously excited to get my hands on a box of these badboys. I was thinking about making some slingshots as christmas presents but decided against it due to the cost of bands and the fact that i hadn't found any yet. but these sound perfect (providing i can get some in time!)

This has been a fascinating thread and I'd like to thank everyone who has taken part in it so far, and in advance anyone who takes part in it in the future. This seems to be the solution to my band-problems!

Thanks again.

Eddie.
See less See more
i'm interested to know what doubling these bands might do? I have no experience of flatbands (and hardly any experience at all!) But I notice even most of the much revered TBG hunting bands seem to be doubled up. Would this make a noticeable difference for hunting perhaps?
Doubling them just makes them crazy-heavy.
There's info in this thread about "tapering" the 107 bands. This is a much better option than doubling. they don't last very long but if all you're doing with them is hunting then you're not taking that many shots anyway.
Excellent, thanks M_J, looks like i'll be needing sets for targets and sets for hunting, not like it's hard to afford when they're this cheap! Cheers, Eddie.
the price in my country is $32 nzd which is way more expensive than in your country but still way cheaper than tbg considering that also costs way more over here. i hope you understand that
Guys, please read the thread. A lot of people have put a lot of effort into testing these bands, and all of your questions about power are answered in the thread. When I said they are probably not adequate for squirrels, I was talking about a set of singles, which can produce about 8 lb/ft of energy. The tapering technique is explained in the thread. I even linked to a tutorial on how to do it. In my experience, tapered sets will produce enough energy, but band life was much shorter.
Reactions: 1
I have been tinkering with these and they are indeed awesome for their cost and performance, but i would never hunt squirrels with them! Period. I have found squirrels to be some of the toughest critters in the slingshot hunters sights and they deserve 20ft/lbs and lead poisoning.

On a side not, I shredded some beer cans today with tapered 107's and 7/16 steel. They draw very smooth, hit hard and shoot dead flat at 10 meters. Can't beat the value of this combo
I should have a box of them arriving today, can't wait to try them out...
has any one tried alliance advantage bands? on the page it said they have a higher tensile strength.
has any one tried alliance advantage bands? on the page it said they have a higher tensile strength.
Here's a quote from Amazon's description.

With mid-range rubber content, these bands are ideal for most industrial applications.
Mid-range rubber content is not what you want for slingshot rubber. I'd stick with Sterling, which has the highest rubber content of all Alliance bands.
According to Alliance`s specifications Pale Gold Crepe bands have the highest rubber content...about 95%...Though some members do speak poorly of the gold crepe type their have been others that use them...I am not sure, but I think the Sterling brand may be closer to 80% or 85% rubber content...You would have to check with the Alliance website to be sure...
According to Alliance`s specifications Pale Gold Crepe bands have the highest rubber content...about 95%...Though some members do speak poorly of the gold crepe type their have been others that use them...I am not sure, but I think the Sterling brand may be closer to 80% or 85% rubber content...You would have to check with the Alliance website to be sure...
That's what I get for making assumptions. You are right. People who have tried them say Pale Gold Crepe don't have any "punch".
I have tried the gold crepe ones and honestly they are great rubber bands but terrible for slingshots. They probably shot about 30 FPS ... and Im not joking.
According to the Alliance web sight, the pale crepe gold is a "soft stretch". I don't think that is something we want for slingshots.

"The rubber band with the softest stretch. It has the highest percentage of rubber content and the greatest number of pieces per pound. Pale Crepe Gold® is highly recommended for repeated application and for packaging pliable goods where a soft hold is most important."
http://www.rubberband.com/consumer-products/standard-rubber-bands/172.html

Cheers,
Northerner
141 - 160 of 328 Posts