Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that pouch failures are fairly rare and pouch weight seems to be a meaningful factor in efficiency of most slingshots shooting 3/8 steel and lighter ammo.

I have been considering 8 strand 100# test dyneema braided fishing line and a light weight ammo size specific woven pouch. Also looking at 7x7 (or 49 strand) 1.0mm nylon coated stainless steel fishing cable perimeter with the dyneema as webbing. Finally just thinking to buy light weight Chinese import pouches as a starting point for my band sets.

What pouch material and design options should I be considering to up the performance of my slingshots.

Ridge

·
Registered
539 Posts
It is worth noting that the microfiber pouches from China are cut with lasers which both seals the edges and allows for significantly more complex cuts. (this as opposed to the common die-cut pouches you see in the US) The major advantage of this is that it allows a great deal more "hollowing out" of the pouch to reduce weight.

To be clear that isn't a pot-shot at Warrior, the guy makes a very nice pouch with better quality and strength/durability than the Chinese microfiber ones, but I see room for a middle ground here which is the materials upgrade of a Warrior with the optimized design of CAD and a laser cutter. Such a pouch would have excellent durability and even further weight reduction.

The issue with the fishing cable you may find, ridgerunner, is that as you make the material finer and finer and stronger and stronger at the band-attachments, you start cutting the bands themselves with the pouch.

·
Ray Rowden
2,652 Posts
If the idea of weaving a pouch has captured your imagination, you should go for it.

You might make a better, lighter pouch than anything else currently available. And if you enjoy doing that, the cost of your time is irrelevant.

But, the performance advantage of ultralight pouches is very small in terms of higher ammo speed - even for light ammo, and almost disappears as ammo weight increases.

The only noticeable difference IMHO is in that lighter pouches retain less momentum at the end of the shot, and can reduce or eliminate hand slap with some set ups.

I'd love to see any pouches you weave, though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
It seems to me that pouch failures are fairly rare and pouch weight seems to be a meaningful factor in efficiency of most slingshots shooting 3/8 steel and lighter ammo.

I have been considering 8 strand 100# test dyneema braided fishing line and a light weight ammo size specific woven pouch. Also looking at 7x7 (or 49 strand) 1.0mm nylon coated stainless steel fishing cable perimeter with the dyneema as webbing. Finally just thinking to buy light weight Chinese import pouches as a starting point for my band sets.

What pouch material and design options should I be considering to up the performance of my slingshots.

Ridge
Good topic Ridge, for me anyway. As a recent slinger I would also like to ask - I am curious as to how many shots, on average, should we expect out of a leather pouch ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
More shots than I would want to count. Mine usually last for several years.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Another consideration is padding, or finger protection. I like to shoot lots of shots, and if the pouch doesn't protect my fingers, holding the ammo, then light and thin is harmful. So, there is a limit, at least for me.
I've found that microfiber is a mixed bag for me, and generally, while I do like it somewhat, it has certain drawbacks. What really works m, for me, again, is real leather, and mostly kangaroo leather warrior pouches :) Light, stiff, durable, and protective enough ????

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any links to these marsupial pouches?

Just checked airfare to Australia and harvesting a kangaroo for pouches is already prohibitive even before hiring a guide and procuring a non-resident Kangaroo hunting license.

Side note: Is leather chammy a reasonable pouch material, or too soft?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I make all my own pouches. Old shoes, boots, gloves, wallets, purses, etc. are all pretty good sources of leather.

Reactions: woodbark

·
Neophyte
2,095 Posts
I ordered my kangaroo hides from ebay. The pouches they produce are super durable but very thin, if those are qualities you would like then I recommend roo hides. FYI I cut my own with a cutting die and I had one batch of what was claimed to be roo hide but I could tear it with my hands very easily so I think the dude did not know what he had. The moral of the story is buy from reputable vendors. I would be happy to answer any questions I can, if you have any :)

Reactions: woodbark

·
Registered
173 Posts
I ordered my kangaroo hides from ebay. The pouches they produce are super durable but very thin, if those are qualities you would like then I recommend roo hides. FYI I cut my own with a cutting die and I had one batch of what was claimed to be roo hide but I could tear it with my hands very easily so I think the dude did not know what he had. The moral of the story is buy from reputable vendors. I would be happy to answer any questions I can, if you have any :)
I will certainly look this up and save the info for when I run out of leather from my old Tilley wallet. I suspect my old Tilley wallet could be roo, the leather is just as you described - thin and very strong . I only stopped using it after the zipper broke. ... Now - I'm glad I kept it, I've made several pouches out of it and - no rips yet!.

I have enough for about 10 more pouches so I am good for now unless .... I start making sling shots for friends.

Cheers and thanks for the hands on info :)

·
Neophyte
2,095 Posts
Looks like it should work. 2 oz thickness is around 1 mm thick which is the thickness of the hide I have used. I would drop the vendor an email to make sure it is a suitable hide for your purposes. For example the hide is not for soft trim work or something. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts