Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 585 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
About 3 years ago, we had an Altoid tin slingshot build-off, which some of you may remember:

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/15639-altoid-tin-build-off/

It was a LOT of fun and generated a lot of creativity. Soooo, Winnie and I decided it was time to do it again. Your task is to make a fully functioning slingshot that fits ... frame, bands, and pouch ... into an Altoids tin.

What is an Altoids tin, you ask? Well, Altoids are just a brand name of a mint ... that can be found pretty much world wide:

Rectangle Font Metal Logo Automotive lighting

These tins are popular for all sorts of things ... Folks use them to hold small survival kits and first aid kits, folks use them to hold circuit boards for various purposes, folks even use them to make small pocket stoves. We propose using them to hold a slingshot. Just to be definite, here are the dimensions:

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

The tins are 3/4 inch = 1.9 cm deep.

Even if you cannot find an Altoids tin, you can probably find some other brand of mint that comes in a tin of the same size. Any tin will do, as long as it has the above dimensions. If you get downright desperate, you can make a small box out of cardboard with those dimensions.

To enter this contest, you have to build a functioning slingshot that fits into an Altoids tin, and post a photo of it in this thread ... simple as that. You must give a description of the wee beast ... design details, materials, bands, pouch, etc.

We want to encourage you to actually use your wee slingshot. Sooooo ... you will receive extra consideration for the FABULOUS PRIZES if you also post a video. The video has to show you using the slingshot to shoot a standard soda can at a distance of 5 meters or 16.5 feet ... verify the distance on the video. You can use any ammo you like, take as many shots as you like, but you gotta hit the can.

If you need some inspiration about small slingshot designs, just check out the previous contest. I listed a whole bunch of appropriate designs there ... and of course there are all the ones that were entered in the last contest.

How are the FABULOUS PRIZES to be awarded??? At the end of the contest, we will just do a random draw from those who entered. So do not worry if you cannot make a super laminated, diamond studded, blah, blah, blah. This is NOT a beauty contest, nor a popularity contest.

You can enter as many times as you like. Each time you enter, your name will go on my list. If you also submit the shooting video, your name will go on the list twice. So if you enter 3 different slingshots and have a shooting video for each one, your name will go on my list 6 times. At the end, we will make random draws from the list ... the more often you are on the list, the better your chance of winning a FABULOUS PRIZE. But to be fair, only one prize per person will be awarded. Winnie and I will be the final arbiters of awarding the FABULOUS PRIZES. No whining or winging allowed!!!

The contest starts NOW. The deadline for entries will be midnight, Pacific Standard Time, on February 14 ... that's Valentines Day ... you gotta LOVE this contest!

You are allowed to submit a slingshot that you have already posted, but you must post a photo of it here in the required Altoids tin ... BUT you cannot have entered it in the previous Altoids Build Off. Your slingshot can be a natural, a board cut, laminated, metal, wire frame, folding, modular ... whatever suits you. So get to it, my friends.

Oh, yes ... And what are those FABULOUS PRIZES, you ask??? Well, we are going to tease you and reveal them bit by bit. We will have half a dozen prizes or so. One of the prizes will be my Altorus slingshot:

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/15338-altorus-another-altoid-tin-slingshot/?p=173739

It is shown there with braided #64 office rubber bands. You can have it that way if you insist, but personally I would prefer Alliance File Bands, and will send it to you with those unless you direct otherwise.

Neither Winnie nor I will be eligible for the prizes. So come on guys and gals ... put your thinking caps on and get to work. Let's have some fun!!!!

Cheers .... Charles

Attachments

·
WHO???
4,272 Posts
this is going to be a very cool contest the pics and videos are going to be awesome get to it guys and gals :king:

·
Banned
795 Posts
Oh, what fun, and FABULOUS PRIZES all in capital letters and teasingly revealed to boot.

I haven't yet dipped into the amazing and I am sure EXTREMELY ADDICTING world of slingshot building, but this might be the kick in the buttocks to get me started :)

Just to clarify since Midnight on Feb. 14th could be interpreted two ways; which of the following is true?

• Entries must be submitted before 12:00 am Pacific time Saturday Feb. 14th (i.e. must be submitted before Valentines day starts).
  • Entries must be submitted by 11:59:59 pm Pacific time Saturday Feb. 14th (i.e. must be submitted before Valentines day ends).

Thanks, and it's awesome to have things like this. :banana:

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The deadline is the last click of the clock, Pacific Standard time, on February 14. February 14 is the last day of the contest.

Make a small one ... probably less work than a big one .... good place to start.

Cheers .... Charles

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well I guess I'll kick things off with a simple natural fork. I'll get some video once it warms up.

Wood Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

Wood Metal Abacus Natural foods Art

Bookcase Wood Chair Shelf Barware

Oak natural banded with 3/4" x 1/2" x 6" TBG. The band was sent to me from GrayWolf, and it really packs a punch with 1/4" and 3/8" steel.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What a fabulous way to start things off!!! Very nice job on that. Looking forward to the shooting video.

All right ... we are off and running. Come on, you folks ... join in the fun!

Cheers ..... Charles

·
WHO???
4,272 Posts
Well I guess I'll kick things off with a simple natural fork. I'll get some video once it warms up.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Oak natural banded with 3/4" x 1/2" x 6" TBG. The band was sent to me from GrayWolf, and it really packs a punch with 1/4" and 3/8" steel.
that's a sweet little shooter you got there OBA :king: i bet it does pack a punch if i had it there would be fork chips,and bloody finger tips a plenty :banghead:

Reactions: Lee Silva

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've made another mini shooter for this awesome contest. It's a PFS style. The pouch is a little heavy and the bands are a little long for this application but I'll sort that out in short order. The attachment method uses "binding post" (I believe that's the technical name) with a neoprene washer. There is a small recess slightly larger than the head of the post to help hold the band securely.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@you'llshootyereyeout : Those are two great looking shooters! Way to go! Still looking for those videos ....

@Beanflip : Hey Bean ... sorry to hear about the breakage. Just redo it with some stronger stuff???

Looking good, everyone ... just keep 'em coming.

Cheers .... Charles

·
Slingshoter
1,292 Posts
Here's mine. It's a little design I scratched out on some 1/2 inch Baltic birch and banded with 7/16 straight cut Thera band black. This is just absolutely addicting and there will be more to come.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 585 Posts