Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Made my first "ergonomic" frame this week, using the base of Geko's design.
I resized the frame so it could fit my hand, and now it's a fully functional slingshot frame.
It's thin, and light. Yet one of my favourite/most accurate frames i own so far.

The core of the frame is made from 6061 T6 alloy - thickness 3mm
The scales are made from homemade micarta blue and orange layers - thickness 5mm.
Standard 10mm O.D aluminium solid rivets.

The core was sanded to 220grit, and the scales were buffed with oil.
After shaping and sanding, the frame is only 11.37mm thick, very light and quite slim in my opinion.
The shooting gap is only around 45mm, i would prefer over 50mm but it shoots quite well for me.

NOTE: I do not own this design, i do not take any credit for it. If you would like this design visit GekoGR on youtube.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Made my first "ergonomic" frame this week, using the base of Geko's design.
I resized the frame so it could fit my hand, and now it's a fully functional slingshot frame.
It's thin, and light. Yet one of my favourite/most accurate frames i own so far.

The core of the frame is made from 6061 T6 alloy - thickness 3mm
The scales are made from homemade micarta blue and orange layers - thickness 5mm.
Standard 10mm O.D aluminium solid rivets.

The core was sanded to 220grit, and the scales were buffed with oil.
After shaping and sanding, the frame is only 11.37mm thick, very light and quite slim in my opinion.
The shooting gap is only around 45mm, i would prefer over 50mm but it shoots quite well for me.

NOTE: I do not own this design, i do not take any credit for it. If you would like this design visit GekoGR on youtube.
Thanks.
i gotta ask Danny, do you do your scales first? i am in the process of trying a laminate not near as complicated as yours but yours just looks so much nicer, well done!

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Thanks guys

@newconvert
I cut the overal scales with a jigsaw, as carefully as possible near the trace markings.
I shaped the overal Micarta filing them down to the aluminium core, and then shaped the overal pattern.
After that i glued the roughly shaped micarta to the core, drilled the holes and hammered the solid rivets in place then filed them flush.
Then handsanded (220, 400, 600 grits) and buffed it afterwards.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice, like the handle shape and the blue and orange scales with the aluminium.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Muy Chula Danny, me gustan los colores elegidos.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Very nice indeed. I too am very fond of ultra thin slingshots. All of my recent shooters are less than 1/2" thick with 3/8" being a favored sweetspot.

Nice work on the micarta!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts