Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Beech. But this one is made of baby Beech. Where the beechwood trees grow, they often start out a competing triples. Two of them usually die way before maturity. I ran into a couple of these triplets and saw forks on them, so I did a little pruning and cut off one of the triplets and took the forks. This is the first of them. Baby beech isn't a nice suave-looking brown when it dries, like mature beech is. It looks more like mother-of-pearl once sanded and polished.

The sun is overcast today, so I couldn't get really good pics. But I'm sick of waiting for the clouds to go away so here goes...

The fork tips are made of African Blackwood, which our good friend Marvelous Melvin sent me. It is a very beautiful hardwood that works almost like plastic. Those who have buffers and compounds would really be able to get this stuff to shine! I have them pinned with 1/8 SS rod...

Some more pics...

Banded up with some TBB. Shoots very nice. It's pocketable, too.

Hope you like, and have a nice Sunday! (Patriots aren't playing today
)

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
"Beech baby, beech baby there on the sand ..."
I can't even tell you how much I like that one!
If I made it I would have put it in one of those shadow box frames and hung it right inside the front door so that everyone who comes over could see it.
Just another day at the Dayhiker factory, though.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I'm hoping to be able to make something like that in verry verry far future
I wonger how you did the rod into the wood, drilled Holes?
Yes, sir. I glued the tips on with super glue, then drilled through the tips and down into the fork about 1.125 inches, then epoxied in the rods.
I am glad you like it. Thanks.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Beech baby, beech baby there on the sand ..."
I can't even tell you how much I like that one!
If I made it I would have put it in one of those shadow box frames and hung it right inside the front door so that everyone who comes over could see it.
Just another day at the Dayhiker factory, though.
Thanks, M_J!

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Looks like another Dayhiker dandy to me. Your naturals are always lookin' good. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
One of the best I saw from your collection!!!!! ...I should add: ONE OF THE BEST (period)
Well balanced and smooth. Perfect!!!!
That one is very especial, my friend. Enjoy it

Cheers ...Q

1 - 20 of 20 Posts