Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point does the ammo leave the pouch?

By which I mean at what point does the ammo become physically independent of the slingshot and shooter and therefore subject only to external ballistics?

I know the answer isn't going to be a fixed one because of the variables of pouch, bands, ammo weight etc involved however there must a general idea of when this event happens.

High speed photography would be helpful if anyone knows of any.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I wish I could find a link but there's a YouTube video that is called "smarter every day" with "Jorge". It has some awesome slow motion in it. Also a side by side comparison of tapered and straight cut bands. Definitely worth a look.
I tried to find that video also but couldn't. If I remember correctly it shows the ammo leaving the pouch way before the pouch goes through the forks. Of course Jorge has a very long draw. Maybe on a shorter draw it would leave the pouch after the pouch passed through the forks? Or does the ammo leave the pouch when the static length of the bands is reached? For example you have a static band of 6" and draw to 30" does the ball leave the pouch when the bands retract to the 6" point?

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Yes, that one... you posted it just before I did. :lol:

It looks to me the bands stop acting on the ammo just before the forks.

Don't know how it changes for tubes but I assume it should be similar.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that one... you posted it just before I did. :lol:

It looks to me the bands stop acting on the ammo just before the forks.

Don't know how it changes for tubes but I assume it should be similar.
Yep, after watching and re-watching the clip several times I think I agree. Not at or just after the frame - but just before.

This agrees with the high speed footage posted by Ordo where it is easier to see.

The reason I wanted to know was to know how much influence on the ammo the frame shape has as the bands run into or up against it. If the ammo has already gone then none might appear the answer.

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
The reason I wanted to know was to know how much influence on the ammo the frame shape has as the bands run into or up against it. If the ammo has already gone then none might appear the answer.
Exactly what I think. Seems to me the only value the frame brings to the table is comfort and safety. I mean you wouldn't want to lose a finger would you?

But there are people who like to shoot "frame-less".

I spent years and years hitting people with rubber band propelled paper pellets. With the right bands, you could hurt the other guy (we didn't shoot girls even though I really really wanted to) .. the power was there. But when I had a "fork hit" (me poor thumb) I wished for a frame to shoot from.

If you are shooting a starship then the frame will also add power because of the longer draw...

There are also pros and cons of a wider or narrower fork gap.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My question was sparked because of the sloped tips vs. flat tips thread. Does it really matter if most band/frame interaction happens after the ammo has left the pouch? I'm developing an opinion on it.

Rubber bands and paper balls moistened with spit. Every school everywhere will have some of that stuck to windows and walls! :WasntMe:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.