Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that steel balls are best but i only have about 340 steel balls soo i was thinking when i lose them all what would be the best amuniton e.g. marbles and that but need to be cheap thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I shoot a lot of marbles. I get a bag of 100 for $1.00. The last bunch I bought was at a dollar store and a local ALCO store has them for that price.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
I have a bunch of white marbles I use for target practice. I will write up a comparison when I get time later today, or tonight. There are pros and cons for each type. Depending on your answer to these questions, what is "best" could be different. Are you wanting to pierce your target(like a bullet)? Are you wanting to be as accurate as possible(least drop)? Do you want to cause maximum damage to your target( with minor loss of accuracy)? How much are you willing to spend? Do are you willing to sacrifice speed for maximum energy release on impact? Are you worried about toxicity?

Take a look at this thread for now:
http://slingshotforum.com/topic/59-copper-balls/

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a bunch of white marbles I use for target practice. I will write up a comparison when I get time later today, or tonight. There are pros and cons for each type. Depending on your answer to these questions, what is "best" could be different. Are you wanting to pierce your target(like a bullet)? Are you wanting to be as accurate as possible(least drop)? Do you want to cause maximum damage to your target( with minor loss of accuracy)? How much are you willing to spend? Do are you willing to sacrifice speed for maximum energy release on impact? Are you worried about toxicity?

Take a look at this thread for now:
http://slingshotforum.com/topic/59-copper-balls/
overall im looking the best substitute but i want maxium speed and accruacy i want a fair bit of damage i dont want maxium engery lost i can spend upto let say £10 but need a fair bit of amuniton for it i dont worry about toxicty

thanks, AaronC

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I'm just a poor southern man. All I shoot is 3/8" steel and marbles. They seem to shoot about the same at 15 yards or less. I don't have anything but seat of the pants info on them though. Maybe the steel hits a little harder than the marbles at 15 yards.

·
Registered
161 Posts
All I've ever shot was marbles and 1/4 oz. slip sinkers. Actually cheap marbles are getting hard to find. When I do find a store that has them cheap, like a buck for a bag of 100, I'll buy several bags. When I was a growing up in OK I made pretty good money running a trapline and carried my slingshot. I dispatched many animals with it using either marbles or slip sinkers, mostly slip sinkers as I remember.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I shot a million zillion marbles when I was a kid (and good ol' rocks of course) but now that im older and can make my own i shoot lead only. its free and plentiful, but admittedly it is not the fastest option, and thats what it sounds like your lookin' for, so i would say steel is your cheapest option, (seems like they have 200 round packages or something like that at the old wal-mart for 5 bucks or something) oh and if your just plinking for for fun and dont care so much about accuracy they still make rocks for free

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shot a million zillion marbles when I was a kid (and good ol' rocks of course) but now that im older and can make my own i shoot lead only. its free and plentiful, but admittedly it is not the fastest option, and thats what it sounds like your lookin' for, so i would say steel is your cheapest option, (seems like they have 200 round packages or something like that at the old wal-mart for 5 bucks or something) oh and if your just plinking for for fun and dont care so much about accuracy they still make rocks for free
love the rock option lol im going to buy some steel ball ive seen on ebay the larger you buy the cheaper but trying to find a store in the citry that sells steel balls

1 - 13 of 13 Posts