Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Slingshot Forum Friends!!!

Here's my latest work. None was so fitting as this one :)

A while back, a friend from the Web asked me if I could do him a frame, in exchange for one of his works (he's a fantastic blacksmith and knife forger. I shall present his work in another occasion. The carving knife he made for me is AMAZING!!)

It so happens that his surname is "Laranjeira" which, translated in English, is "Orange Tree"

As you might know, in Portugal there's a lot of tree names representing family names, as for example "olive tree", "chestnut tree", "walnut tree" and so on.

So, I guess he's going to feel related to this slingshot!! :)

Hand carved on a natural orange tree fork, it was finished with linseed oil and natural beeswax.

Hope you folks like it!!

Cheers ...Q

Wood Cookie cutter Grass Tool Font
Wood Tool Trunk Terrestrial plant Wooden spoon
Wood Font Trunk Cross Symbol
Wood Grass Musical instrument Natural material Tool
Wood Trunk Hand tool Font Tints and shades
Musical instrument Wood Trunk String instrument Tool

Attachments

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It is amazing that the lines in themselves look so sharp but the whole look is so gentle. I think, my friend, that only you can come up with this!

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
WOW Q! The orange fork is something but you're carving is SOMETHING ELSE! Beautiful as always buddy
I am absolutely blown away.. You really did an amazing job!

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk
Amazing! I love the shape of that. Looks really comfy
Beautiful slingshot! They will be very happy with it no doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow u can make a sweet frame wicked lines u have so time into that one !
Awsome sling
All hand carved?
Amazing. Did you carve it green or already seasoned?
Very nice,well done!
It is amazing that the lines in themselves look so sharp but the whole look is so gentle. I think, my friend, that only you can come up with this!

cheers,

jazz
Amazing! I aspire to such greatness
My dear friends!!

Once again I'm loss for the right words to describe your KINDNESS and FRIENDSHIP displayed in these comments!!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Just to respond to M Mars, this slingshot was carved in a well matured piece of orange wood. Matured orange wood displays such colour, which can be mistaken for green wood. With time, it will go darker but at a slower rate than other woods (for example, cork oak or even olive wood). And, of course, it was all hand carved. To be honest, I don't even have an electrical tool. Even my drill is manual operated. I use a Japanese hand saw, Mora carving knifes, files and rasps and, finally, sandpaper (from 80 grit to 2000)

Best regards to you all!!!

Q

·
Mojave Mo
5,165 Posts
WOW Q! The orange fork is something but you're carving is SOMETHING ELSE! Beautiful as always buddy

Awsome sling
All hand carved?
Very nice,well done!

cheers,

jazz
My dear friends!!
Once again I'm loss for the right words to describe your KINDNESS and FRIENDSHIP displayed in these comments!!!
Just to respond to M Mars, this slingshot was carved in a well matured piece of orange wood. Matured orange wood displays such colour, which can be mistaken for green wood. With time, it will go darker but at a slower rate than other woods (for example, cork oak or even olive wood). And, of course, it was all hand carved. To be honest, I don't even have an electrical tool. Even my drill is manual operated. I use a Japanese hand saw, Mora carving knifes, files and rasps and, finally, sandpaper (from 80 grit to 2000)

Q
I take back everything I said Mr. Manual Tool!! Yikes, such precision.......okay then......how many manual hours in your build?!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to see you're still at it, Q-Man!
Hello my dear friend!!!! :wave:

I'm very happy to see you. So good you're still able to appear in the forums!! How's been your slingshot practice and build nowadays??

I trust everything is going well for you. And thanks for your always VALUABLE feedback!!!

Keep coming, my friend!!!!

Best regards ...Q

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Awsome sling
All hand carved?
Very nice,well done!

cheers,

jazz
My dear friends!!

Q
I take back everything I said Mr. Manual Tool!! Yikes, such precision.......okay then......how many manual hours in your build?!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hello my friend!!!

In my opinion, using hand tools opposed to electric ones, amounts to the same level of artistry.

For example, a good guitarist can play the same on a very cheap and lousy guitar as in an expensive one. But a lousy guitarist will fail on both.

So, using hand tools is nothing too special. Only makes my work go slower but, in the other hand, can contribute to the detail of a piece.

I usually take some 3 to 4 hours in total to finish a piece. Perhaps more, but I've never done that counting in an accurate manner. Of course I don't include the finish (an oil bath and the appliance of beeswax can take days to produce the first results on a piece of wood)

Best regards :wave:

Q

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Very beautiful and elegant design, my friend :)

Reactions: Quercusuber
1 - 19 of 19 Posts