Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
Cool video. Unfortunate that the video and the article both have slingshot in the title although the text of the article correctly describes it as sling. I have also recently come across a few videos on staff slings that look like they might also fit the bill. Maybe something to try some day when I need a break from being humbled by slings and bows.

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
The sling goes away back farther than the Romans.

You can read about it in First Samuel chapter 17 in the bible where David defeats Goliath.

Sent from my MAX_10 using Tapatalk

Second rime this week i am mentioning Fowler, weird but he has a video where he discusses exactly this and speculates David may have used a staff sling. Also not a rigoeous academic treatment but an interesting video to watch. I will look foe a link to post.

·
Science is magic that works
914 Posts
Hi, I have used a shepherds sling since I was nine. I am now 62, and it will kill in the right hands. I have put golf ball size rocks through cinder block walls. I have a collection of Roman sling projectiles, some made of lead, some stone. It is very easy to carry, and most have no idea what it is. Practice in a very open area, can be extremely effective!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Second rime this week i am mentioning Fowler, weird but he has a video where he discusses exactly this and speculates David may have used a staff sling. Also not a rigoeous academic treatment but an interesting video to watch. I will look foe a link to post.
It is highly possible, but one thing we know for sure is by the grace of God he knew how to use it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was used to play with this David sling before getting into slingshots, real deadly on the hands of experts who use them daily. I'm only good at breaking windows and endangering bystanders. Need a huge space to practice.

Join Slinging.org for more, I learned from those guys, a great forum.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hi, I have used a shepherds sling since I was nine. I am now 62, and it will kill in the right hands. I have put golf ball size rocks through cinder block walls. I have a collection of Roman sling projectiles, some made of lead, some stone. It is very easy to carry, and most have no idea what it is. Practice in a very open area, can be extremely effective!
Id like to learn to throw one, Ive tried and did nothing but get tangled and hurt myself

·
Registered
772 Posts
Cool video. Unfortunate that the video and the article both have slingshot in the title although the text of the article correctly describes it as sling. I have also recently come across a few videos on staff slings that look like they might also fit the bill. Maybe something to try some day when I need a break from being humbled by slings and bows.

Can you imagine golf ball and larger size rocks or baked clay round raining down on you like the archers did with arrows from a longbow at Agincourt?!

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
Hi, well I also like whips, the crack is because it is faster then the speed of sound. I have shot projectiles from the sling to the same effect. It really is deadly, I always have one in my edc.

If I ever get on top of slingshots having a go at a genuine sling or staff sling is high on my todo list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.