Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey it is Roy again. I made another wooden slingshot to add to my collection. The main frame is Lignum Vitae (the densest wood in the world) and the scales I used Snakewood (one of the rarest). I am still trying to master the art of making a slingshot. The band assembly are from Flatband that is gum rubber. I have tried something different to attach the bands. The forks are notched but instead of rubber or twine I used cloth waterproof athetic tape. Once it is in place it is pretty much there for good unless you cut it off. This is the same stuff that is used in the sports industry to tape ankles. After a game it must be cut off the ankles. It has very high tear strength and very sticky. Once in place it does not come off very easy. I have tested it before with about 600 shots and no signs of wear or tears. Once the bands are in place and the tape applied the bands do not slip or move. It can be bought at drug store or wal-mart. One roll goes a long way. Please be kind this is only the first one I made with these woods.

·
Registered
54 Posts
great work! keep it up! i am a fellow lover of rare/exotic woods

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Looks fine Roy. Keep at it and you'll be amazed with each new fork you make. Snakewood was one of those ones I was always tempted to try, but never did for some reason. Maybe it was the price

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JIm your right. That is way I only used the snakewood on the scales. A piece large enough to make a single slingshot can go as high as a few hundred dollars depending on the grain and symmetry of the wood pattern. Maybe some day, the wood is beautiful and nice to work with. Hey Jim great job on your new design. I will be watching and waiting for them to go up for sale. I tell people that they are not just your standard tradional slingshots any more, but a fine work of art and craftsmanship.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the great replies. I also wanted to point out something I have done with the slingshot if you can notice it. I off set the forks so when you shoot flip style the forks line up straight with your hands, and I put a thumb notch on the right fork.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts