Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just finished my second hand carved catty. its made from the same wood as the last one(cherry). the wood doesnt have the same contrasting grain as the last one but i think it looks nice in a different way. hope you like.

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
807 Posts
Man... You've really got the hang of carving, haven't you. That's awesome, I wish I could do that.
Looks like it'd fit nice and snug in your hand.
Btw did you just use a knife for that? If so I commend you on the smoothness of the finished thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers. i used a saw to cut out the rough shape and a chisel to get the bulk off then carved it with a stanley knife. then used a rasp to get it as even as poss. and finished with sandpaper starting with rough to a very fine. then rubbed linseed oil into it. the only power tool used was a jigsaw to cut out the throat.

·
Registered
108 Posts
very nice work, came out looking good, and nice to see the (almost) lack of power tools, i prefer the presence that knowledge gives, truely hand crafted that way, when all the power to transform it came from the human body. since youve made two quite similar slingshots so far it could be interesting to try out a different design, think about how you hold them, how you shoot them and what would be best for you. you may well find the traditional shape suits you best but theres some exotic designs and clever ideas out there, im sure one of them could be benificial. even something as simple as making it more ergonomic so its more comfortable to hold can help inprove your shooting, while also making it feel more personal.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well done, that looks like a cracking slingshot. How long did it take from start to finish please?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for the comments. i am going to be trying a different shape with the next one. i would also like to try different wood but this is what i have to hand. it probably took around 5-6 hours in total. over a couple of days. the first was done all in one go.

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
Great work Danny and it seems to me you're quickly establishing yourself as a master on here. Fine slingshot and love to see builders making something fine with a block of wood and imagination.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
I love the carving because I do that myself, although now I've bought myself a portable jig saw and a dremel because my hands are getting weak from too much use. But what I like too is that already you have developed a distinct style. Like Jmplsnt's naturals, these two you made are immediately recognizable. Even though they are pretty basic. I can't explain it, but I find that quality very appealing indeed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.