Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this one up recently. It's a Ziiing-Shot. Made by Palmer Mfg.Co. out of PA.

I have seen 2 of these before but wasn't able to get them. This one came unopened still in original package-a real plus for a collector.

I jumped on it. As you can see from the pictures, it's cast Aluminum, about 6 "s by 3 1/2"s-double banded gum rubber-1/16" thick by 3/8" wide.

The description said it was made in the late 50's. I'm not sure about that. The knots at the prongs and pouch (hate that BTW) suggest the 50's. That was a popular attachment style back then.

I think it came out later because of the vacuum packaging. That type packaging I hadn't seen till the late 60's. Anyway, a nice (and lucky) find.I know I said I was no longer collecting, but when I see something like this, the addiction kicks in again!

Vertebrate Jaw Font Automotive exterior Bicycle saddle
Jaw Gesture Tooth Foot Human leg
Finger Nail Thumb Electric blue Wool
Head Chin Hand Eye Ruler
Wrench Wood Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool
Finger Nail Office supplies Writing implement Graphite
Office supplies Writing implement Graphite Writing instrument accessory Nail
Material property Font Auto part Electric blue Metal

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think so Joe. I think the wire frame types that you saw in the 5 and 10 cent stores were for the kids. Most of the slingshots were directed to adults.

I hated that knot attachment method a lot of them used. There are so many neater and cleaner ways it can be done.

Thankfully my wife is very understanding about my condition! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice find . Is it made by the same company that make all the fishing molds and two versions of slingshot mold?
Good question Mr. Bird. I don't know if it's the same company. Now you've given me something interesting to research. I will check it out for sure-thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Great find! You and your collection would make a great book and/or documentary film.
You know Blue, a few people have suggested a book or a short film also.

You would be surprised to find out that there are more then a few slingshot collectors.

Kent Sheppard has the biggest collection with around 700 or so at last count. Numbers wise ,he's the man.

Blue Skeen had a nice bunch too but a house fire took his collection and everything else he owned. Bill Herriman ( Tex Shooter ) also has a nice bunch of frames.

CJ ( SPS man ) has a good number also. There are others to with collections that have some really interesting and very rare pieces. I know of one fellow in Missouri with a fabulous collection of very rare frames.

He's a private guy so I won't mention his name. I wonder how many others that we don't even know about?

Hey maybe we all get together and open a Slingshot museum? Now that would be cool! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice find . Is it made by the same company that make all the fishing molds and two versions of slingshot mold?
I did some research and I do believe Mr. Bird is on target. The Palmer Mfg. Company is still in business.Started in 1946, they did make aluminum castings for fishing sinkers and other products. I couldn't find mention of a slingshot but I'll bet this is where it was made. They still make a variety of items, but I guess they don't want to be associated with slingshots. I'll keep digging.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If it's part of their history they may have some information in their files,old advertising and such.Maybe contact them?

Reactions: Flatband

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it's part of their history they may have some information in their files,old advertising and such.Maybe contact them?
That's my next move Roy!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Great find! You and your collection would make a great book and/or documentary film.
You know Blue, a few people have suggested a book or a short film also.

You would be surprised to find out that there are more then a few slingshot collectors.

Kent Sheppard has the biggest collection with around 700 or so at last count. Numbers wise ,he's the man.

Blue Skeen had a nice bunch too but a house fire took his collection and everything else he owned. Bill Herriman ( Tex Shooter ) also has a nice bunch of frames.

CJ ( SPS man ) has a good number also. There are others to with collections that have some really interesting and very rare pieces. I know of one fellow in Missouri with a fabulous collection of very rare frames.

He's a private guy so I won't mention his name. I wonder how many others that we don't even know about?

Hey maybe we all get together and open a Slingshot museum? Now that would be cool! :)
There is a documentary about typewriters (California Typewriter 2016 - very good movie by the way) another one about hotdogs (well, not just any hotdogs - Famous Nathan, 2016 by the founder's grandson), and even one about Donkey Kong video game (The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, 2007). I have to think that a documentary about slingshots and slingshot collectors would win an Oscar, if not the Palm d'Or at Cannes (I can see you walking down the runway to accept the awards).

Do you need an agent? You're gonna be big, kid! I promise!

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I saw a picture of one of those shown under a sample of Palmer products. They admit to a variety of Aluminum castings early on. The Slingshot and the molds are definitely theirs. I found a phone number,I just have to call and check it out. Nice job Mr. Bird.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Super Nice Slingshot!!!
I know the whamo and hodge switched from box to hang package thinking late 60s early 70s.

I've seen them before but passed them up thinking they were some homemade copy of a lukens. Whole new old frame for me.
Thanks FLATBAND

1 - 19 of 19 Posts