Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Here is a start to my modification of a flipkung using PLASTI DIP.

PLASTI DIP now sells a color kit that you can mix any color you want. I only used cans of premixed colors yellow and red.

If you want to do this I figure that making a tray just the right size and configuration from a few sheets of tin foil is the easiest way to make a tray that accommodates the size and shape of the SS so as to not waste material.

It isn't complete. What I will do since this is an experiment and I want the corners round I will slice off the material on the corners so that the successive coats will continue to help round the handle. I don't know how it will slice but I am confident it will work because I straightened out the edge where the metal shows using a razor blade. Imagination is what you can make it.

Hint about mixing existing colors; They don't easily (or at all) give the color you would think that mixing two primary colors might give. Therefore the color kit may be a good idea if you want a specific color value.

Oh yeah, this is dipped twice. I expect to dip it two more times and have what I want.

DSCF0153.JPG

Attachments

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Cool! I hope the successive coats will come out the same color, it's very nice.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I expect that the final coat will be better because the first two were the learning curve part.

Perhaps a mod will move this to modification thread. Whoops on my part.

·
"Mighty Can Smiter"
4,302 Posts
I expect that the final coat will be better because the first two were the learning curve part.

Perhaps a mod will move this to modification thread. Whoops on my part.
That's pretty neat looking, Ray.

I also fullfilled your request ;)

LGD

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
like dipping a candle. when i cut off the clean lines, i use a razor or an exacto knife and just slit and peel/shave off what i dont want.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Have you tried the Spray on Plasti-dip ray? It would take more coats, but might give you more artistic freedom, and maybe a more consistent finish?

·
Resigned
363 Posts
Have you tried the Spray on Plasti-dip ray? It would take more coats, but might give you more artistic freedom, and maybe a more consistent finish?
It probably wouldn't give you more artistic freedom in terms of mixing colors, like if I wanted periwinkle or bright pink :)

However, you could certainly do some fun stuff with a camo look in earth tones.

Too bad the kit doesn't come in neon colors. I would really get crazy with this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts