Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In my country people over 65 are not allowed to go outside, which, then includes me..

So in order to put bad news aside, at least for a while, I made this small shooter for me. I say "for me" because I meet nobody for days.

This is I believe a Cherry Plum branch that I found already cut on the ground. I thought it was dry but when I started to bark it, it was too late when I realized it is still very fresh. But I kept on knowing that the cracks will appear sooner or later, but luckily, I learned here in the Forum couple of ways to fight that problem.

It was really a chunky piece so I had to do some cutting:

20200321_175345.jpg

20200321_175435.jpg

20200321_180047.jpg

Then, after some work on its bark it looked like this:

20200321_181805.jpg

And after some sanding it looked like this:

20200327_130651.jpg

I decided to take my saw and make some cuts to make the forks wider and I shaped the handle my preferred way (which I learned from Quercusuber) :

20200327_130701.jpg

After some more sanding and dipping in the water under the tap and hair-drying it three times I applied my secret Turpentine - BLO - Bees Wax paste that I made of 1 part of Turpentine mixed with 1 part of BLO and then I melted 1 part of Bees Wax and added it to the previous two, letting it to coll down and stirring it ocasionaly:

20200327_131324.jpg

20200327_131415.jpg

20200327_131422.jpg

20200327_131428.jpg

I banded it with 18x12 TBG, 80 cm draw length at Stretch ratio 5) and I shoot 8 mm lead balls - since I can cast them myself - but I appreciate any other suggestions for this setup that you might come up with:

20200327_185922.jpg

20200327_185936.jpg

20200327_190636.jpg

I hope you enjoyed,

cheers,

jazz

Attachments

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great.....save that piece you cut off the handle.
You can use it as a butt cap adder, glued onto the end of another kind of wood sling, or it might even be big enough to split down the middle, and get one or maybe 2 small conus slings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi SLING_N_SHOT, thanks! Good idea for the cut pieces, to be honest I forgot about it, but luckily I did not throw them away, thanks!

T

Looks like a SWEETHEART of a shooter :target: :target: - I'm 67+ and VERY LUCKY I can go outside to our timber, pond and pasture whenever mind & body allow!!
hanks, Old Iowan! You are lucky to have this opportunity - enjoy!

I love the creations my elders come up with. You guys seem to make all the woods you touch turn into shooters gold. I'm in awe over here glad our hobby can help past the time. Beautiful piece of artistry!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hi dogcatchersito, those are very dear words to me, I hope your slingshot progress goes well!

Looks amazing. Got a nice curve in it
Thanks, Ibojoe, that curve really sits well in the grip!

Those are two NATURAL BEAUTIES!!!!!

Well done!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

...didn't realised you were more than 65. You don't look like it!! :D

Best regards and stay safe, my friend!!!!

Q
Thanks, Quercusuber, there's a bit of you in this one; your comments always mean a lot to me!

You cut that sling so nice Jazz! Those lines are my goal. Thanks for the lesson!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks, MOJAVE MO, I am glad that you find a lesson here! But I must add that most of my knowledge on slingshots I can thank to the people of this forum where I learned probably 70% of what I know about slingshots.

A chunky little beauty! Awesome job!
Thank you StringSlap, very much!

Oooooooooo, fine flipper, great job.
Thanks Bugar! I like the term "flipper" because I really flip when I shoot, or, as I like to say, "I can not not to flip"..

Very nice, jazz!!! :thumbsup:
Thank you, devils son in law, very much!

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Hello Jazz, I know what you mean to be forced to stay at home.....it seems to be the best and maybe the only way to stay away from the Covid 19,that's a killer. I like your work, well done mate.
Good luck and all the best,
Bob

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Jazz, I know what you mean to be forced to stay at home.....it seems to be the best and maybe the only way to stay away from the Covid 19,that's a killer. I like your work, well done mate.
Good luck and all the best,
Bob
Thank you Bob and take care!

cheers,

jazz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts