Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried my hand at making my own 3d printed frames. Since I'm new to slingshots, I figured it would be best to follow more established designs than designing my own from scratch. This is a design by JaWu on Thingiverse, which appears to be a modified clone of the HTS slingshot found on Pocket Predator website. Anyways, trying to give credit where it is due. This was printed on a Anycubic Photon and I tied on a chinese bandset purchased off Amazon. The slingshot itself isn't the prettiest with some minor blemishes I haven't yet smoothed out, but it shoots well and is very comfortable to hold in a pinch grip. I just took delivery of a new impact-resistant resin that is more durable and hopefully tolerant of errant frame strikes.

I did order up a HTS from Pocket Predator just to support the original designer and to see how the real deal compares to a clone. So far, it's quite fun to see what designs are out there and being able to tweak things and see how they turn out. So far, my prints have been working out and I've tested out prints by tying a bowstring to the fork ends, standing in the frame grip, and pulling up as hard as I could to see if it would break. No breaks so far so that's good.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super cool to see some others' prints! I haven't been trying to design my own yet since I don't know what I'm doing yet in terms of knowing what a proper slingshot needs, so I've just been looking for .stl files online and printing them. I'm currently shooting this design by a guy known as JaWu on Thingiverse who has a number of files available for download. He calls it the Mamba and I do rather like it. I've been adjusting the shape and contours with a Dremel to better fit my hand.

Yes, the Anycubic Photon is a DLP printer that uses a resin vat. I get great resolution and very detailed prints, but it can be rather finicky depending on the resin and the colors. I printed the Mamba with an impact-resistant resin that is flexible because one of my printed frames actually cracked and shattered due to a frame strike. I am still working on getting a clean release and was a bit surprised to see how fragile the resin was on a frame strike. So far so good with the new resin. Got a few glancing frame strikes, but not even a mark on the slingshot.

I have another design I found that looks really cool being printed overnight tonight. A bit of research reveals it was a design made by a forum member by the name of "Flicks" and the design is called the Raptor. I happened to find a slotted version of his design in a .stl file so I'm giving it a try. It looks super compact and pocketable. Seems like it might be a tad on the wider side so I guess we will see how my small hands work with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My most recent print. I have printed several of these before. Usually give me to friends to learn how to shoot picklefork, finally printed my self one so I can practice.
That design looks kind of awkward to hold. That is called "picklefork"? Is the purpose of such a frame to be as compact as possible?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice start lad. If you are looking for some files, I currently have around 20+ 3d files and designs I made myself, I would say i am going on 2 years of 3D sling making. Personally, I ham a huge fan of 3D printing and combining 3D printing with other materials. My personal favorite is wood composites with fdm printing, with a little work and some stain, the look and feel amazing,

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:264258]

The nice thing about the photon is the fact that it is resin, now I stand behind my fdm style prints, but resin does have some added stability and does happen to have a cleaner overall look. let me know if you have any questions on what programs to use to design your own or if you want me to send some files your way. Glad to see more people jump into 3d tech.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I would love to try printing some of your designs and see what I get with my Photon. I looked into a FDM printer, but for what I mostly print (models and other highly detailed things), I need the high resolution of a DLP printer. It seems FDM offers greater flexibility with materials - I've heard of some filaments that can actually be sintered after printing to create a solid metal object. My first printed frame actually shattered with a hard frame strike. I've found a more resilient resin that is flexible and can withstand some abuse, so I've been making all my subsequent frames with that.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nice start lad. If you are looking for some files, I currently have around 20+ 3d files and designs I made myself, I would say i am going on 2 years of 3D sling making. Personally, I ham a huge fan of 3D printing and combining 3D printing with other materials. My personal favorite is wood composites with fdm printing, with a little work and some stain, the look and feel amazing,

The nice thing about the photon is the fact that it is resin, now I stand behind my fdm style prints, but resin does have some added stability and does happen to have a cleaner overall look. let me know if you have any questions on what programs to use to design your own or if you want me to send some files your way. Glad to see more people jump into 3d tech.
Those are your prints? My God those look great.

Man all these look great giving me another idea of what to spend money on. I will resist the temptation for as long as possible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I have another design I found that looks really cool being printed overnight tonight. A bit of research reveals it was a design made by a forum member by the name of "Flicks" and the design is called the Raptor. I happened to find a slotted version of his design in a .stl file so I'm giving it a try. It looks super compact and pocketable. Seems like it might be a tad on the wider side so I guess we will see how my small hands work with it.
Bit off topic but where is the template for that design?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I printed out Jacoza’s design. Very neat!! I had an issue with my print where the print was sticking to the film so the tail portion of the handle turned out weird, but I was able to clean it up and reshape it a bit to fit my hand better. The slots are super convenient and the frame is comfortable. Very cool design!

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
I printed out Jacoza's design. Very neat!! I had an issue with my print where the print was sticking to the film so the tail portion of the handle turned out weird, but I was able to clean it up and reshape it a bit to fit my hand better. The slots are super convenient and the frame is comfortable. Very cool design!
I can't take credit for that design, that was from canopener's template, I just used the template to make a 3d model, still came out great though!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Was just shooting that hatchet from Jacoza yesterday, lovin' it man! Super comfortable and repeatable, and the wood fibers give it a much better look and feel.
I am glad to see them pop up from time to time, glad you are enjoying it mate :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts