Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the budget to buy fancy wood, and lack the artistic skill to woodburn my slingshots. Could you think of anything that can help me make a cool slingshot without spending much money? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I don't have the budget to buy fancy wood, and lack the artistic skill to woodburn my slingshots. Could you think of anything that can help me make a cool slingshot without spending much money? Thanks.
Well you can go to Home Depot and get oak or maple 1X4's or 1X6"s for around $2 or $3 a board foot then all you need is a saw and a couple of files then it's just a matter of being creative. Some acrylic paint or stain and the sky's the limit. Depending on how handy you are you could get two or three nice slingshots for less than 10 bucks... good luck.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
There are naturals that can be shaped and/or decorated with stain, paint, braided rawhide. Some naturals look artistic already, before you even turn them into slingshots. It all in your vision.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
There are naturals that can be shaped and/or decorated with stain, paint, braided rawhide. Some naturals look artistic already, before you even turn them into slingshots. It all in your vision.
You're right there, I guess it's just when I see all the amazing board cuts here my naturals always seem rather primitive.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Who says it has to be fancy? I'd get some offcuts and shape it with a coping saw, a half round second cut file and some sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Who says it has to be fancy? I'd get some offcuts and shape it with a coping saw, a half round second cut file and some sandpaper.
+1

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
You could go to the lumber yard and just look around for anything you could use. Precut 12-ply 3/4" plywood will make quite a few slingshots that are extremely strong.
Particle board in 3/4" and dipped in poly or add some veneer to your particle board before you cut it out then dip it in polyurethane.
Ask around for wooden pallets used for shipping. I work at a newspaper and we get pallets every day and end up with so many we have to toss them out. If someone came by and asked for one or two it would be fine. I'm sure other places like Walmart would be willing to give away one or two. Some are oak. Some have very nice 3/4" plywood.
You can even split out some boards from firewood, plane them down smooth to any thickness you'd like, and cut out one or two slingshots.
A natural fork doesn't have to end up round either. Get one that is fat and plane it to 1" or so thick then saw around the sides to square it up. Maybe even do some carving for a palm swell and finger grooves. Or maybe just saw out the edges of a natural for flat sides and leave the front and back round, then do some filing and carving for finger grooves and perhaps a palm swell.

·
Resigned
946 Posts
Get your self a large natural fork and sharp knife and some sandpaper and get carving. Most of mine are done this way as I cannot afford to pay out for a nice bit of hard wood for a board cut.
Martin

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
You can see by Martin's work that some very fine slingshots can be made this way. -- Tex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts