Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
5,078 Posts
The simplest approach would be to sandwich the handle portion of the fork (remove rubber tubes) between two blocks of your preferred wood using glue or epoxy and a wood screw or bolt and a sunken nut to squeeze and hold them in place. Once it is all dried then start removing wood until it fits your hand the way you want it too. Unless you have the budget to really flex and explore the top-notch wood finishing techniques you can focus on sanding with a 220grit and then using Car Wax and a good buffing to create a very useful wood handle/grip/swell.

·
Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking thank you. Once it comes in I'll mess around with it a little and see what I can come up with. I like the wrap idea too it's just not my style. I think I'll blue the steel then try my hand with a wood grip. It's going to be my bb shooter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Being a Firm believer in KISS and SISSIF principles go get a stick of epoxy knead and slap it on a chunk at a time till you have what you want.

That said, after roughing up the steel, and cleaning it with solvent, cut a 1/2" or so off the epoxy stick, knead it and slap it on.

Then having a cap, cup or small dish with about 1/2oz of rubbing alcohol in it, wet your fingers and work and smooth the lump how you want it.

Let sit about 10 minutes and repeat till ya get it where ya wants it.

·
Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being a Firm believer in KISS and SISSIF principles go get a stick of epoxy knead and slap it on a chunk at a time till you have what you want.

That said, after roughing up the steel, and cleaning it with solvent, cut a 1/2" or so off the epoxy stick, knead it and slap it on.

Then having a cap, cup or small dish with about 1/2oz of rubbing alcohol in it, wet your fingers and work and smooth the lump how you want it.

Let sit about 10 minutes and repeat till ya get it where ya wants it.
Hmmm 🧐 I'll look into it. Epoxy knead? Never heard of it but very interesting. Thank you!

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,038 Posts
The simplest approach would be to sandwich the handle portion of the fork (remove rubber tubes) between two blocks of your preferred wood using glue or epoxy and a wood screw or bolt and a sunken nut to squeeze and hold them in place. Once it is all dried then start removing wood until it fits your hand the way you want it too. Unless you have the budget to really flex and explore the top-notch wood finishing techniques you can focus on sanding with a 220grit and then using Car Wax and a good buffing to create a very useful wood handle/grip/swell.
And that…..is the MO-dified version, lol

Works well

Hard to beat a nicely shaped wood handle.

Darrell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmm 🧐 I'll look into it. Epoxy knead? Never heard of it but very interesting. Thank you!
the epoxy putty comes in a stick about 3/4" x 4", the hardener is in the middle of the roll, so you cut some off and knead it to mix it then put it on whatever your needing to fix, its about the consistency of modeling clay so not dripping all over the place, and it sets in 5 minutes or so, full hard in an hour or two but i wait a day for structural stuff if i have the time

It can then be sanded, drilled, cut etc. saved me muco time and money when working on my car. the time my radeiator lost a knockout plug... the time my crandcase breather broke from old age.... both on weekends, halfway through other repairs.... one of them special order from the dealership....

·
Registered
9 Posts
the epoxy putty comes in a stick about 3/4" x 4", the hardener is in the middle of the roll, so you cut some off and knead it to mix it then put it on whatever your needing to fix, its about the consistency of modeling clay so not dripping all over the place, and it sets in 5 minutes or so, full hard in an hour or two but i wait a day for structural stuff if i have the time

It can then be sanded, drilled, cut etc. saved me muco time and money when working on my car. the time my radeiator lost a knockout plug... the time my crandcase breather broke from old age.... both on weekends, halfway through other repairs.... one of them special order from the dealership....
Oh yea if you remember to use the alcohol on your hands while shaping what is already on your workpiece you can easily custom mould it to your hand.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
A slightly tedious, but effective manner to make a grip for metal rod slingshots is to drill aligned holes in the hardwood, and then chiseling out the wood to the required depth. This is followed by creating ergonomic finger grooves using a rasp, and the usual wood finishing processes (images A to D).

If you have a router, you can also create a grip with fluted sides that fits snugly between the inner U-shaped metal rod section of your slingshot grip. Alternatively, you can drill two parallel holes, and saw out the wood that runs parallel to these holes to create the fluted side grooves. This is the better method in my opinion (images E, F, and G).

Just make sure that you measure the inner width between the U-shaped (grip) section of the metal rod slingshot, plus half the diameter of the metal rod for the fluted sides to fit well. You should not need any glue with close tolerances.

You will need a drill press and a sturdy vise to do this for best results with either method.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts