Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
See The Target
21,910 Posts
Sand paper to make it smooth . Then a wet sanding to raise the grain further . Finish it with boiled linseed oil .
This is only one way . There are many others . Familiarize yourself with the search function . There is literally a encyclopedia of information on everything slingshots here . Allow yourself to have a first build . They get better with practice and experience . Check out the works of the master craftsmen here on the forum . They all learned and grew through the process .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sand paper to make it smooth . Then a wet sanding to raise the grain further . Finish it with boiled linseed oil .
This is only one way . There are many others . Familiarize yourself with the search function . There is literally a encyclopedia of information on everything slingshots here . Allow yourself to have a first build . They get better with practice and experience . Check out the works of the master craftsmen here on the forum . They all learned and grew through the process .
Ok thanks

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,156 Posts
One thing that has helped me immensely, not only with smoothing but shaping too, is after I get through carving my forks with a Mora Craftline fixed blade, I use a round rat tail rasp to smooth and shape…..then I always scrape the fork with the flattened spine of the Mora , that I’ve rolled a burr on like a cabinet scraper.

I always scrape before any sanding, and once you start sanding, go progressively up through the grits till you achieve the desired smoothness, then apply your finish of choice.

That sling looks fine…. keep building brother.

Darrell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
876 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My first natty ended up looking like a lop-sided back scratcher. Yours looks like a good shooter.

If it shoots where you point it and it feels good in your hand, looks really don't matter. Yours has a certain rough-hewn charm. As stated by some very experienced builders here, sandpaper is your friend.

Are your bands secure? Add a some length to the bands and tuck the end back up over the wrap for the last couple of loops. Lots of videos showing "wrap and tuck" technique.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
After getting my rough shape from carving, I'll use a rasp and then a finer file till it's close to smooth and then I'll sand it.

You can sand with a higher grit paper, depending on how pretty you want it but I seldom sand higher than 220. A tip I got from Metrograde a few years ago was to sand to 220 grit then apply a thin coat of BLO and sand it into the frame and continue with the 220, the slurry of saw dust and BLO gives the effect of sanding with a higher grit but saves tons of time.

The frame you posted may not be as pretty as you'd like but will still shoot as good as any!! (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts