Slingshots Forum banner

Any Words of Advice Before I get into Frameless Dart Shooting?

3K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  The Norseman 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any words of advice before I get into shooting darts frameless? Kevlar gloves maybe? Dang, I just don't know where to stop...

Reactions: Tag
#3 ·
I say enjoy yourself. Severe nerve damage to your hand and fingers may last forever, but so will the entertainment you provide to your friends and family. I have an uncle who has "flop hand," incurred during a nail gun accident. He never let it get him down though, in fact, he became the life of the party! He could do fish and bird impressions, crack walnuts, and some light ventriloquism, with his flop hand portraying the character of Howard the Eel to much local acclaim. The loss of the use of one of your hands isn't the end of the world. You won't be able to shoot anymore, frameless or otherwise, which sucks, and girls in your peer group may find your flop hand repugnant, but what a story you'll have to tell! Have fun! :)

#4 ·
At my age I have had many injuries . I've learned that hands are complex and even require a Specialized Hand Surgeon for some injuries . Hand injuries can accumulate some hefty medical bills . I like to do a benefit/risk analysis when confronted with such questions .I think you should wait till the age of eighteen so you can make a more adult informed decision and have the resources to assume the consequences . :twocents:

#6 ·
At my age I have had many injuries . I've learned that hands are complex and even require a Specialized Hand Surgeon for some injuries . Hand injuries can accumulate some hefty medical bills . I like to do a benefit/risk analysis when confronted with such questions .I think you should wait till the age of eighteen so you can make a more adult informed decision and have the resources to assume the consequences . :twocents:
But then I'll be on my own insurance by then! I don't want to have them raise my rates! ;)

#7 ·
Dang, I just don't know where to stop...
Right where you are. I know you see some of the guys do it Norseman but they have been shooting many many years and they are still taking a huge risk. I don't see the payoff in doing this.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
"A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. It seems to me most strange that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."

...and when many die in the cause of ambition there are always those in the crowd exclaiming," How EXCITING this is!"

Ignore all of these Naysayers. :thumbsdown:

You Be You Bro! :banana: :thumbsup:

:imslow:

#12 ·
How much shooting of darts have you done with a frame? Seems to me that would be the place to start. I really hope you are just yanking our collective chains but if not at least get accustomed to shooting darts with a frame, which is actually dangerous enough anyway....

#14 ·
In Greece medical care is free.....you can come here Norseman.....
Seriously now, even free, having your health endangered isn't worth it. That being said, I would probably shoot some darts frameless if I had some, then again that doesn't mean that it's the smart thing to do.
Anyway, let me propose something. Allow yourself to shoot darts frameless, heck, even hand grenades, only when you are able to hit a 3cm spinner 9/10 every single time. 90% hot rate should be the absolute minimum, even if you are ill, your bands are in shreds etc.

#18 ·
Dont do it!!!!! Haha ..if you dont listen to me .. then make sure you make the darts right .. I'll show a pic of the ones I use .. for the fletchings use broom bristle .. you have to cut the notch right .. or there is more of a chance of hangups.. dont try to flip your hand aggressively .. just a natural movement from the release .. be safe bud oh ya .. and I'd use a frame first! there is a video of me shooting a couple frameless.. also make sure you use a good "pouch" for lack of a better term ..
4f4bbebd379f0371a5ee9c8b4e16371d.jpg
82ffa9046722d02572e017597ae2bef1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#19 ·
As others have said, dont. Not that it cant be done, just that even the most experienced admit they do it of their own volition. Not something to take advice on. If you have confidence in your skills and have spent the necessary time practicing; you'll know yourself. Alot of damage can come from just a spherical shot smashing your hand, nevermind a dart or even a hex nut. Frameless in my mind is meant to be a minimalist pursuit anyhow, getting by with the bare essentials.

Now on to an actual answer you could cut some hardwood dowels to 4" and notch and fletch those. Wrap some tape around the tips and hammer away at the catchbox. Accuracy wont be great because theyre light, but if your technique is sound you'll be able to tell. Beyond that, they have leather/metal hand guard 'half gloves' for shooting fish darts, no idea how tough they are. Anyhow practice up, use a frame, wear saftey glasses. And remember: .44 leads are probably more effective, accurate and alot more safe than any dart setup.

$0.02 from a fellow frameless shooter. :)

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

#22 ·
I did not know you were 14 buddy !! I say u talk to your parents about it. .. controll alt delete what I said ! But your much braver than most men .. I sulute you!

Lol I agree. Alot wont even shoot framless nevermind darts - forget the darts Norseman youre already ahead of the game!

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

#23 ·
I have never stuck myself ... and I hope I never do Haha.. I think the risk is when your learning .. after you got it .. you got it !! Butbits just getting it that really is kinda nerve racking ! .. just keep shooting man .. and when your 18 you will have some years in .. then u can shoot spears if u want Haha

#24 ·
Just so you guys know .

You are giving all your advice and suggestion to a fourteen year old kid .
Good thinking Treefork, I should have thought to mention that as well.

#25 ·
I did not know you were 14 buddy !! I say u talk to your parents about it. .. controll alt delete what I said ! But your much braver than most men .. I sulute you!

That's right Joe :iagree: , spot on brother. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.