Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my left shoulder always a problem. I hold frame in left hand. I decided to try to switch hands. Didnt work out too bad. Used a scout xt for the big gap,, and I usually either hit the skoal can size target I was aiming at at 20 ft {garage} or had a frame hit right next to my index finger first knuckle. Thank God I was using the clay that isnt hardened. At first I couldnt figure out after Id had a flier why there was dirt powder on my frame,, until when it hit my hand a finger a bit , I realized it was the clay smashing lol

Ive only been shooting 8 months so maybe , either the switching w/ help the shoulder recover or Ill become a right hand hold,

any experience switching successfully?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is my mojave mo built pocket predator core Rooster. it's a dedicated RHH, i usually shoot LHH. a few months ago, i just decided to see if i could do it. i shoot it about the same as any other.

attachicon.gif
20210122_153418.jpg
I was very surprised It seemed so much the same. And my bad shoulder felt better it seemed after than before shooting,, maybe using muscles in the opposite direction may correct some impingement, still feels funny especially loading, but I see my rt shoulder is a lot stronger than left and to me its more effort to hold frame than to draw ammo

·
Master of Swine Fu
3,646 Posts
this is my mojave mo built pocket predator core Rooster. it's a dedicated RHH, i usually shoot LHH. a few months ago, i just decided to see if i could do it. i shoot it about the same as any other.

attachicon.gif
20210122_153418.jpg
I was very surprised It seemed so much the same. And my bad shoulder felt better it seemed after than before shooting,, maybe using muscles in the opposite direction may correct some impingement, still feels funny especially loading, but I see my rt shoulder is a lot stronger than left and to me its more effort to hold frame than to draw ammo

the "feels funny" will alleviate after some range/catchbox time.

·
Science is magic that works
1,018 Posts
Hi, I got one of those exercise bands for archery. It has a good handle like a bow grip, and has two bands for different pulls, I think one hand is a 20# pull, and the other is 30#, and you can pull them together for more force. I haven't tried to shoot with my other hand, it doesn't seem right, but this is a great workout, and a good warmup, and I can use it on both sides so the muscles are balanced. I also sewed two tabs on the band's to give my thumb and forefinger a real workout. You can get them
at most archery supply stores.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went out at lunch and was hitting can at 15 -18 paces, not everytime, but decent, had a few frame hits, my precious Scout lt & xt dont fit the same w/ frame in rt. hand , I must hold different. The aiming kinda feels more like a straight line now IDK but it will be fun learning, I did toss a can up and missed it by a mile lol that will take time, or Ill just do that w/ my original hold

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
I used to shoot either well in mynteens. Shoot light and often... and read Jack Koehler's books and eatch his videos.

Switching/adapting your dominant eye is key.

See it, hit it kind of shooting. Loads of missing it happens before the hitting part.

·
Mojave Mo
5,393 Posts
I prefer RHH but do switch to LHH on occasion. When I do I am much more methodical when shooting LHH. To me it isn't just muscle memory it is allowing my brain to mirror the motions. Many years ago I read an article on brain exercises. The result is that I switch my computer mouse to my left had every few weeks and keep it there until I stop noticing that it is there. I will also brush my teeth left handed for a week or two before going back to the right. The same with holding a fork and knife. I will also paint with my left hand to see how my brain and eye interprets what is going on. I usually don't like the result but I have been surprised a couple of times. Here is an example of the right side of my brain painting with my left hand. I call it my MoJackson Pollock or Mo's Thought Train.
7a86506a56352a69e3ea7e3534369c52.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I prefer RHH but do switch to LHH on occasion. When I do I am much more methodical when shooting LHH. To me it isn't just muscle memory it is allowing my brain to mirror the motions. Many years ago I read an article on brain exercises. The result is that I switch my computer mouse to my left had every few weeks and keep it there until I stop noticing that it is there. I will also brush my teeth left handed for a week or two before going back to the right. The same with holding a fork and knife. I will also paint with my left hand to see how my brain and eye interprets what is going on. I usually don't like the result but I have been surprised a couple of times. Here is an example of the right side of my brain painting with my left hand. I call it my MoJackson Pollock or Mo's Thought Train.

the painting is good! my ex wifes ex husband sells abstracts for a few hundred bucks, just got to find the market. After just 2 days, Im thinking this rt hand hold is how I should have been doing from the start.

·
Mojave Mo
5,393 Posts

the painting is good! my ex wifes ex husband sells abstracts for a few hundred bucks, just got to find the market. After just 2 days, Im thinking this rt hand hold is how I should have been doing from the start.
All of these conversations seemed to go into the 'Dominant Eye' formula. I often have wondered why we don't discuss the 'Dominant Hand' formula. Aside from a little arthritis in my thumb, I am right handed and am naturally more steady and confident using my right hand in most of my movements. I'm not a surgeon but I won't be firing my pistol in my left hand unless I'm in a wet paper bag trying to shoot myself free!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

All of these conversations seemed to go into the 'Dominant Eye' formula. I often have wondered why we don't discuss the 'Dominant Hand' formula. Aside from a little arthritis in my thumb, I am right handed and am naturally more steady and confident using my right hand in most of my movements. I'm not a surgeon but I won't be firing my pistol in my left hand unless I'm in a wet paper bag trying to shoot myself free!

I agree,, Rufus said it was the frame hand too , that made the difference, from the vids I seen of him

·
Registered
447 Posts
Last year I injured my shoulder exercising with Theraband tubing that was too strong. It was my left shoulder and I hold the slingshot in my left hand. I had to switch hands because I could not put any pressure on the shoulder. I switched holding to my right hand and used my left to draw. It was awkward at first but after several weeks it began to feel more natural. and I started to improve a bit. I am now back to a left hand hold . I practise both now though and have slingshots set up for both hands, so it can be done. I still prefer the left hand hold.

Also I do not seem to have a dominant eye as it depends on the method I use to determine the dominant eye. If I use my thumb to cover an far object and close my left eye my right eye is dominant. The thumb is covering the object If I use the other method where you form a little hole with your two hands and bring it back to the face I get a dominant left eye. So who knows. Can anyone explain this?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Last year I injured my shoulder exercising with Theraband tubing that was too strong. It was my left shoulder and I hold the slingshot in my left hand. I had to switch hands because I could not put any pressure on the shoulder. I switched holding to my right hand and used my left to draw. It was awkward at first but after several weeks it began to feel more natural. and I started to improve a bit. I am now back to a left hand hold . I practise both now though and have slingshots set up for both hands, so it can be done. I still prefer the left hand hold.

Also I do not seem to have a dominant eye as it depends on the method I use to determine the dominant eye. If I use my thumb to cover an far object and close my left eye my right eye is dominant. The thumb is covering the object If I use the other method where you form a little hole with your two hands and bring it back to the face I get a dominant left eye. So who knows. Can anyone explain this?
Just in from garage. Ive 1/2 clay flying everywhere, from hitting the fork. More hits than ever had when I very first started shooting. On my LT it would hit usually right where the screw, Ive got the hand tighten one,,,, is. I started turning pouch hand to where thumb was turning in towards body some and that helped a bit Kinda flumoxxed. any ideas? I know more practice, but Im raising elbow, dont know what else to try

·
Registered
447 Posts

interesting painting from another painter

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
any experience switching successfully?
I usually try shooting like 40 shots a day. And I switch hands after every 10 shots just for the h-e-ll of it.

This is why I never use those asymmetrical slingshot designs that are right hand or left hand only. I did make one

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/122794-first-time-working-in-wood/

but I don't use it all that much anymore. Losing the option to use either hand is mentally disturbing to me.

I also fire my pistol with either hand.

Dominant eye??? Don't know what that is... never been able to find mine. Both eyes work great, thank Allah, so I don't really care.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think I found the answer in a Nathan Masters vid. Ive always shot my scouts,,{which Im getting the fork hits on} choke or finger wrap ,whatever,, but my nattys I shoot thumb braced. He had a vid on this, I saw it later last night so I hadnt tried it. But realized almoct all my frame hits are the choke grip, it worked great before switching hands, Im sure I had fork hits , but not enough to be able to recall doing it, heres his vid https://youtu.be/-JZ3SdZnn9I for anybody who may run into this issue at a later date, maybe the vid will help

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive come to the conclusion that rehabbing my left shoulder would be easier than learning to shoot changing hands, I was just getting to where I want to be, and I just cant change hands, I was just lucky the first day , oh well

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi here is a picture of the archery bands I got. The two tabs have 3/8" and 1 /4" balls for finger grip strength . Way more powerful than what I shoot. Great workout before a session.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20210128_210227.jpg
attachicon.gif
1611885695100.png
I wanted a easy way out lol , but I guess Ill have to do the exercise. Im gonna try to make something like you got there w/ a harbor freight slingshot, I bought on a wild hair

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.