Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to re-wrap this, so I thought I would take a picture and ask a question of any slingshot historians out there. This particular one is marketed by Dankung under the name "Platinum Color Slingshot." This model is made of very high quality 17-4ph stainless steel. It's highly magnetic and is polished like an absolute mirror. I hate to cover it, but it's slippery and needs it.

I bought it because I liked it, and I had vague memories of seeing ones like it years ago. We're talking like in the 70's. Is that possible?

I know this isn't the first variant of this style. I've seen lots of questionable cheap ones and I know there was another one with a teardrop-shaped finger hole. It was also steel, but darker.

Seems like the ones I saw in the past were Oriental make, for sale in pawn shops, martial arts stores, Army Navy stores. places like that. At the time, there were a lot of those stores and they sold stuff just like this. If it did exist in the 70's, it wouldn't have been made in China, more Japan, or even the US... Who knows really?

The very fact that it appears in questionable, ultra-cheap versions indicates the design is an old one. Old designs have been around long enough to be copied and manufactured by many different factories. Only an older design would make it into quasi-underground counterfeit production. Take for example the Buck folding 110 knife.

Anyway, this design certainly isn't particularly well known, even though it has a unique, instantly recognizable look. I think this one was actually made by a company called Conglin, who called it the "Thunderstorm."

There is no way to ever check on this kind of thing. Do any of you older farts remember this design in the way back, or do you think it's new and I'm just imagining things?

50510637_10217585497773407_4615623549955

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
The first I saw of that particular design was about 5 years ago... introduced after I and a few others were producing the "big ear" thumb supports.

Sure, it's quite possible that the design is old, and just reintroduced... but I hadn't seen it before we were already using the concept.... and I did do quite a bit of due diligence in my search first.

I've got many examples, here's a couple:

x25.jpg

x59.jpg

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
This 'thumbpad' model appeared in the Chinese market on AliExpress about 3-4 years ago. It debuted as a right hand hold only in a taupe or titanium color. The listing wasn't very clear so I ordered one hoping it was ambidextrous ... nope, had to sell it off. About 6 months later, a left hand hold appeared but I sold that too - heavy and not especially comfortable. I believe Dankung added your shiny 'thumbie' to its line about a year or two ago and I also see it listed on Ali E.

Conglin is a huge Chinese conglomerate that mfgrs everything from cement to sewing machines. They're credited with making the popular POM X6 models that DK sells for 12 bux.

I don't remember anything close to this in the 70s - the biggest splash was made by the Pocket Rocket - a prong frame, which Marksman admittedly copied and introduced as their Wrist Rocket. Trumark might have spun off of that as well. Gary 'Flatband' Miller is the forum historian and would have better information.

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
The 'cauliflower ear' thumb rest is created by adding material, not removing it, which gives it a heavy unbalanced feel IMO, but some people like it.

Reactions: woodbark and Tag

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
I agree with AEM - I got an Embryo' - thought it would be the coolest frame ever (looks like some sort of gas cylinder tool) - but for me the thumb rest actually doesn't allow me to really grip the frame so makes the frame whip away from the thumb on release. Also its heavy... and mine seems to have a coating similar to cooking pots which is actually very slippery. I find gripping mine with my thumb wrapped around the outside edge of the tab works best - I may at some stage grind the tab down so it works better for a thumb support.

Though I know a few guys that really like it. And they are well made.

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Too early for that model in the 70's. Maybe late 90's early 2000's possibly. I never saw one like that back in the 70's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking you're right. I have no direct memory of this, just a vague feeling. False memories are a weird phenomenon. The more you think about it and try to remember, the more you seem to...

I know I had one of the wooden marksman models by the 6th grade (1970-71) and I had one of the aluminum Wrist Rockets by the next year. The time frame I "Remember" this from would be the late 70's to the early 80's.

In 1977, I got my first job. I was assistant janitor in the Commerce building in Mobile Alabama. I had to go stay with my aunt and uncle to get it.There were no jobs in S Georgia, where I'm from. The Commerce building was right downtown and I had to take a bus. Mobile Alabama is a sizable city and, in the 70's, VERY dangerous. I'm a woolly guy, but I was only 17. After a few close calls, I knew I had to have something to defend myself. I went into a downtown pawn shop and there was every weapon known to man. Even at 17, I knew that if I hurt someone, even in self-defense, I might find myself in serious legal trouble. Knives and guns were out of the question. It was there I thought I remember the sling. I looked at all kinds of Oriental looking weapons.

I ended up buying a police blackjack. The flat kind with the lead weight. Some called it a "Sap." I figured I could bob someone with it without causing serious injury. That would enable me to run away. Fortunately I never had to use it. I still have that sap.

More and more, I think I'm wrong. I wonder when the first looped-band Chinese slingshots started appearing in the American market? I have no idea.

As an aside. I remember the Shepherd's Sling (The type David used) became popular when I was in the seventh grade. The popularity didn't last long, probably because no one could hit anything with it. You could just launch rocks like rockets. I know this is true, because I almost got hit by one walking across the school's green.

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.