Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,273 Posts
Does anyone have a wire bender to make wire slingshots ? I posted this a long time ago but I did nothing about it.

I would love to be able to "Roll My Own" as they say., using 3/16" to 1/4" steel rod stock. I have been thinking about this more seriously as I would love to manufacture them on a production basis for slingshot folks who would want a very cost effective, super tough low profile slingshot. These would be a bit like my Chinese "Cheapo's", but slightly longer and slightly wider with an improved attachment.

If any of you have a wire bender and make wire slings for yourself, please post, I would love to hear about your adventures. I'm only interested in cold rolling of the wire.

wll

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
If you are going to do a lot of them, I would say you need to built a jig so that it is faster and less work and they all come out the same. I would recommend a good heat source also or you may be bending weak spots into your work.

·
Mojave Mo
5,254 Posts
Yea I am on the same trajectory. I saw that my wife ordered a B-Day present for me in the form of an Easton Wire Bender. There are many types on the market, and used ones on eBay. Manually torking on a metal rod is a pain in my hands, and I am seeking mathematical perfection in my makery. On standby I have 3 heavy duty short bolts that can be the beginnings of a benchtop wire bender, just gotta make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yea I am on the same trajectory. I saw that my wife ordered a B-Day present for me in the form of an Easton Wire Bender. There are many types on the market, and used ones on eBay. Manually torking on a metal rod is a pain in my hands, and I am seeking mathematical perfection in my makery. On standby I have 3 heavy duty short bolts that can be the beginnings of a benchtop wire bender, just gotta make it happen.

As much as you enjoy the wire frames, I think a bending jig would work great for you. Have you tried Maps gas (I think it's called. Comes with a built in striker)? I believe that would be the cats pajamas for small work like slingshot frames.

·
Mojave Mo
5,254 Posts

As much as you enjoy the wire frames, I think a bending jig would work great for you. Have you tried Maps gas (I think it's called. Comes with a built in striker)? I believe that would be the cats pajamas for small work like slingshot frames.
Yeah. I need to weld my own finger hooks. Although my last welds took place in '79 or so.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My first homemade slingshots back in 2011 were cold bent stainless steel rod slingshots, using both 6 mm and 8 mm thick rods.

This was only possible thanks to a well-priced bending rod with appropriately sized dies made in the US: I purchased mine at Amazon - a cheap, yet very effective tool for anyone who has a fairly heavy duty, solidly mounted vice:

http://www.bacindustries.com/product3-bending-forming-tools-rod-mighty.php

Cold bending 8 mm steel or stainless steel rod is fairly hard work with this bender (but not with a professional grade bending rig with more leverage).

I would recommend making a wood platform rig with marked bending angles to be installed around the bending platform: accurate bending is essential for the best results.

Alternatively, you can also use 6 or 8 mm aluminum rods for slingshot frames intended for lighter band sets. Take your time with aluminum, as it can break (snap) suddenly if it is cold bent too fast.

Always wear working gloves and safety glasses when cold bending, just in case. :hmm:

Last but not least, I posted a making tutorial video several years ago for the suggested rod bender I use - here is the link:

·
Mojave Mo
5,254 Posts
My first homemade slingshots back in 2011 were cold bent stainless steel rod slingshots, using both 6 mm and 8 mm thick rods.

This was only possible thanks to a well-priced bending rod with appropriately sized dies made in the US: I purchased mine at Amazon - a cheap, yet very effective tool for anyone who has a fairly heavy duty, solidly mounted vice:

http://www.bacindustries.com/product3-bending-forming-tools-rod-mighty.php

Cold bending 8 mm steel or stainless steel rod is fairly hard work with this bender (but not with a professional grade bending rig with more leverage).

I would recommend making a wood platform rig with marked bending angles to be installed around the bending platform: accurate bending is essential for the best results.

Alternatively, you can also use 6 or 8 mm aluminum rods for slingshot frames intended for lighter band sets. Take your time with aluminum, as it can break (snap) suddenly if it is cold bent too fast.

Always wear working gloves and safety glasses when cold bending, just in case. :hmm:

Last but not least, I posted a making tutorial video several years ago for the suggested rod bender I use - here is the link:

Thanks!!! I have been racking my brain trying to remember which member put this design together. Smart. No welds. Easy tye, grippable, cool!

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, thanks a million for all your information on benders used and the very fine tutorials by Henry and Pebble Shooter ... you guys are amazing. I'm going to get a bender and see what I can do, then go from there ;- )

Thanks again guys for the info, and if anyone else has something to add please post it as this could be a learning experience for many of us ;- )

wll

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.