Slingshots Forum banner

apologies up front

4721 Views 49 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  mxred91
It is sunday morning, the creative juices are flowing, and wood chips are about to fly. I want to apologize up front to all that will be inadvertantly copied today. I especially want to apologize to all of the forked limbs on trees, and most especially the letter 'Y'. As both will be a heavy influence on my design style. Honestly, I had no idea that I am about to copy elements of at least 90% of all slingshots in existence. So please know that I engage this process with the awareness that the only thing about what I am to create that is truly mine is the labor.

BTW- I hope the sarcasm is not lost on all. I am off to my happy place in the wood shop!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Seriously, I don't think many or hardly any really care if you copy a design for your own personal use. I know I don't care... But...
1) some people on this forum straight out copy a unique design that is in production... and then turn around and try to, or do sell it... in direct competition with the originator of the unique and original design. OR...
2) some people Lay claim to someone else's original design as being their own when pictures and or drawing were posted of that same thing previously. OR...
3) some people Will make a "clone" and its not made out of tested for that purpose and of that dimensions use, thereby making an unsure or even possibly a dangerous creation... based on an original design from the actual creator of said design.

In all three instances mentioned, I DO care... and so should YOU.
And here's the reason why.

IF TO MUCH UNAUTHORIZED, BLATANT COPYING AND SUB-PAR RESELLING OCCURS... THEN THE CREATIVE MINDS THAT BROUGHT TO LIGHT THE ORIGINAL AND MORE UNIQUE CREATIONS WILL NOT POST PICTURES OR EVEN DESCRIPTIONS OF THEIR NEWEST OR BEST CREATIONS.

In that case the truly creative aspects of this endeavor, that we all seem to appreciate, will begin to be more limited... and then eventually will grow stagnant... as we all "ooooo and ah" over the latest knock-off of someone elses work and concepts.
I for one, appreciate a "stage", or in this case a forum, where creations can be shared... without the fear and or irritation of intellectual property theft.

I KNOW for a fact this has already occurred and THAT is the real shame.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
tree limbs and the letter Y tend to be very forgiving, so have a ball.....just be very careful if any of your designs copy the letter Z he tends to be very grumpy....
I especially want to apologize to all of the forked limbs on trees, and most especially the letter 'Y'.
Dear Sir,

Please be advised that I've been retained in a legal capacity by the letter 'Y.

My client is aware of your latest undertaking, and has asked me to defend his intellectual property rights, and his physical likeness, with utmost vigor.

We are already engaged in legal action against the International Plumber's Union, for their unauthorized use of my client's likeness in their "plumber's crack" coat of arms ... ( Y ) ... and we're also suing The East-coast chapter of the Estrogen Society, for their unauthorized use of my client's likeness in their "décolletage" trademark ... ( o Y o ).

We'll be keeping our eyes on yew.

j/k
See less See more
Well if you're a little nervous about the letter Y, you can always go to the W -- I am sure Joerg doesn't mind.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/53-w-slingshot-made-from-wood-with-common-tools/page__p__113__fromsearch__1#entry113
See less See more
tree limbs and the letter Y tend to be very forgiving, so have a ball.....just be very careful if any of your designs copy the letter Z he tends to be very grumpy....
Gnarrr snarl.

Actually, it's usually not the copying that is the most contentious issue for me (if you want to copy my designs, contact me first and we'll work out if it's appropriate and if so how to make something safe), but people who say I have no right to ask people not to copy it without asking overstep the mark. I always just restate my position in both instances. I'm done yelling.

See less See more
Hey, the "W" is a good example how you should deal with these issues.

That wasn't my original design. Bill Herriman gave it to me a long time ago. Even though I have modified it in a million ways, I won't ever stop mentioning him as the original designer.

And of course I don't sell it.

Jörg
Home use is one thing, for sale is another ... no? permission or not?
Gnarrr snarl.

Actually, it's usually not the copying that is the most contentious issue for me (if you want to copy my designs, contact me first and we'll work out if it's appropriate and if so how to make something safe), but people who say I have no right to ask people not to copy it without asking overstep the mark. I always just restate my position in both instances. I'm done yelling.

[/quote]

Sorry ZDP I wasn't talking about you nor was I thinking about you when I made this statement, I was talking about the letter Z as in ABC etc etc....(it was supposed to be humorous)
I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on...
See less See more
Well that has pretty much made up my mind. I'm done with slingshots! I am working on my proprietary knife that is shaped like a spoon and functions like chopsticks. Bet no one has issue with that:)

Geesh!! If you can't laugh about it, I think I might just go hide and cry. Really people, its a freakin hobby for most of us. POINT TAKEN!!
Reactions: 1
Well that has pretty much made up my mind. I'm done with slingshots! I am working on my proprietary knife that is shaped like a spoon and functions like chopsticks. Bet no one has issue with that:)

Geesh!! If you can't laugh about it, I think I might just go hide and cry. Really people, its a freakin hobby for most of us. POINT TAKEN!!
No no no, please don't give up ... I dont think that was the intent here.

Some of us (myself included) were simply matching your own humor (while poking a little fun at some of the awkward complexities of intellectual property considerations), and some others are vendors here who design and sell unique slingshot designs for supplemental income. Some of the latter people were trying to explain a little of the 'lay of the land' with regards to professional etiquitte and attribution/partnership when it comes to closely overlapping or directly borrowed designs. The same sort of things happen when professional musicians work together if/when some of their works overlap with regards to riffs and phrases and lyrics.

If you're creating something for yourself, there's 0% to fret about ... however, some professional courtesy and discussion is appropriate if you borrow generously from other people's measurements and design features in order to establish a product line of your own that you plan to sell for income, in competition with said people. No more, no less.

I hope that helps add a little perspective.
See less See more
Good enough! However, I have actually explored utility and design patents for a slingshot I have designed that is unique. The advice of the overpaid patent attorney I consulted indicated that there is little patentable slingshot work left to be done in this world of ours.

Regardless, as I have stated before- no one has to fear me as competiton. I can't raise a family of four on slingshots alone and I don't care to try to make a business out of hobby.

The knife/spoon/ chopstick is MINE however! Ha
See less See more
This issue is eating the forum away like a cancer
out of interest who owns/is there the patent for a slingshot?
See less See more
Killer thread and perhaps the best one I've seen on this forum yet. It's got me chuckling. You know it's good when all you can do is shake your head and hope for a better day....
*sigh* Didn't want to say anything serious here, but I must admit that the joy i used to feel about making a new board cut has been replaced by dread and anxiety. Slowly the "fun" part of this hobby is being drained.
I love this thread i nearly wet myself laughing, i was never the naughty boy at school but mom used to say i was always best friends with the naughty one LOL. To tell the truth if i see something i like will i copy it sure but will i be making knock offs for ebay of course not. The thing is with me if someone tells me i can't do something i always will do it. I think if you copys someones work and then sell it as an original of theirs thats wrong but whats wrong for me is not for others. I want to buy one of Jim's slingshots can i make it sure but will i no of course i will not, thats just me. I really do think that if you make a slingshot and somebody copys it and it upsets you so much stop making them and find another hobby.

A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, typically done during one's leisure time
I just made absolutely perfect counterfeits of Dan's Scallops and Bill's Predator. But I'm calling them by some cool new names and selling them on ebay. Now I gotta worry about some people dissing my really cool and profitable hobby???

Why can't you all just leave me alone???
See less See more
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.