Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just got this piece from my Apple tree and are thinking about making an ergonomic wide gap tournament Spanish style -inspired kind of OTF out of it. Am mostly using dead materials like plywood and plastics so I got some questions for all you natural carving Pros ????

The 33cl can of Ramlösa is just for size comp and tribute all the Sopranos fans out there ????????????

Any idea how long it will need to dry in room temperature?

Should I remove the bark or shop it up with the bandsaw to speed up the drying?

Is it better to dry it in outdoors temperature?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
That's an interesting piece of wood. It doesn't look like just a simple Y fork so it would be a little difficult to say how long it would take to dry.

I'd seal the ends with glue, leave the bark on and just wait. Usually speeding up the drying also speeds up the cracking.

If you want to start making a frame, maybe go back and find one that is smaller and closer to the shape you want and dry it in the microwave at 30 second bursts. You can carve the same day Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I leave the bark on and put some white glue on the cut ends. I like to cut them extra long so if the ends split while drying the splits will be cut off on the final product. I store them in a dry place and forget about them for quite awhile.

You can dry forks in the microwave. Do a search.

I try to find forks that are already dry- brush piles, dead trees.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, big thanks everyone!

I´ll follow your advice and seal the ends with glue. Waiting until next summer is no problem, I got plenty of ongoing projects so to speak. This piece got interesting shape and worth waiting for, several fork options to choose from and enough material for quite advanced designs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.