Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I always got the impression that a bigger pouch makes it easier to shoot better. But I guess that either is wrong or depends on how you hold your ammo or maybe its because you have more surface area to hold on to that makes it easier.
What do you guys think?
I guess maybe everyone will have different results depending on your form.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
In short - No :) Think there is a limit to where pouches get too large and can effect projectile alinement.

Though I do think there is a personal preference to pouch/projectile size which suites everyone. As I pinch the ammo there isn't much pouch which is actually required (a few mm wider than the projectile) -though I do prefer slightly longer pouches vs super short ones.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
In short - No :) Think there is a limit to where pouches get too large and can effect projectile alinement.

Though I do think there is a personal preference to pouch/projectile size which suites everyone. As I pinch the ammo there isn't much pouch which is actually required (a few mm wider than the projectile) -though I do prefer slightly longer pouches vs super short ones.
my pouches are cupped centering is always perfect not a issue for me

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The other possible issue is weight. Larger pouches have more mass - so could exacerbate hand slaps...
I never get hand slaps but I only shoot ott now and archery style stance draw to the face.
In comparison this is what I like to shoot and that's one I got from simple shot which is a good pouch if you like them smaller .

Attachments

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
I shoot only ott, too and get handslaps like hell when using a pouch that ist too heavy. That problem with slaps and heavy pouches is more noticeable when using very small frames so the pouch slaps back on your hand and not on the frame that looks out your palm. It's also important to use the correct ammo that fits the bands. Yes you can always use heavier ammo or lighter bands but i was never able to eleminate the handslap complete with very small ott frames (around 4.5" oal) exept using such light bands that shooting isn't fun anymore and throwing might be more powerfull :)

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I like big pouches for stones and big clay ammo/mud balls on natural forks and ttf.

I like my pouches to be just a tad larger that my ammo to sort of craddle it. Is that what you are thinking of Romanljc? If so I do agree, especially compared to those extra narrow pouches where the ammo protrude above and below the pouch.

But matching pouches-bands-ammo is very true... and takes a long time to get just right for each style of shooting.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I like big pouches for stones and big clay ammo/mud balls on natural forks and ttf.
I like my pouches to be just a tad larger that my ammo to sort of craddle it. Is that what you are thinking of Romanljc? If so I do agree, especially compared to those extra narrow pouches where the ammo protrude above and below the pouch.
But matching pouches-bands-ammo is very true... and takes a long time to get just right for each style of shooting.
yes more or less that's what I'm saying . this is going to be different for how you shoot and exactly what material and ammo bands you use. I use what I use after trial and and error over the course of years but there are guys I know that can shot any pouch any slingshot any way you can think of and be pretty accurate anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
The main requrement that I have for a pouch is that it not shed the projectile so, in a lot of ways, the projectile dictates the pouch. I shoot 5/16 and 7/16 steel balls almost exclusively so my pouches are pretty small.

Years ago, and lost back in the mists of time, I think I remember something about someone clocking a load with different pouch sizes. It's vague, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't any kind of significant difference in velocity. In the same thread, or in a related one, it was also discovered that widening the forks to accomidate a larger pouch actually and, counter-intuitively, increased velocity.

The slingshot in my bug-out-bag has wider forks and a larger pouch so that I can shoot stones if necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
[quote name="Winnie" post="1299096" timestamp="1553800097"]The main requrement that I have for a pouch is that it not shed the projectile so, in a lot of ways, the projectile dictates the pouch. I shoot 5/16 and 7/16 steel balls almost exclusively so my pouches are pretty small.

Years ago, and lost back in the mists of time, I think I remember something about someone clocking a load with different pouch sizes. It's vague, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't any kind of significant difference in velocity. In the same thread, or in a related one, it was also discovered that widening the forks to accomidate a larger pouch actually and, counter-intuitively, increased velocity.

The slingshot in my bug-out-bag has wider forks and a larger pouch so that I can shoot stones if necessary.

Nice bit of info. Seems like I saw that pouch chrony write up when digging around on the forum.

One more factor for pouches is the rigidity. I love the floppy microfibers from Warrior for small ammo. And the large pouches for stones and 5/8" marbles are stiff thick leather (usually cow hide and wet formed) on ttf heavy tubes.

Microfiber and thin upholstery leather for small frames and pfs with small tubes or narrow flatbands.

This is an awesome post. I gotta get some bench time today. Way behind on makery and there is a fine breeze blowing here.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My intuitive feeling is that the pouch size should ideally be fairly closely related to the actual ammo diameter being used. That said, there is always some leeway in terms of using slightly smaller or larger ammo without problems, but it is possible to create a perfect fit for optimum results.

A large pouch shooting small ammo is inefficient with regard to pouch weight (draw weight energy loss) and ammo center alignment, not to mention potential instability linked to drag caused by air resistance. A large pouch with small ammo is rather floppy to hold, and could cause fork hits too if the ammo moves out of place after the release.

In terms of precision, a good correlation between pouch size and ammo diameter should yield similar results, regardless of whether small or large ammo is being used. A correctly sized center hole in the pouch is essential. For instance, the pouches on Chinese band sets are amazingly short and narrow, but handle 8 to 9 mm ammo extremely well: the potential accuracy is excellent thanks to low pouch weight, low drag, and the fact that ammo centering and band alignment is far easier with such pouches (usually non-expanding microfiber materials, better than leather in my opinion).

There is no perfect ratio, but the key issue is to have a pouch length that will fully surround the ammo (both pouch ends make contact) when held between the thumb and the index finger, and a pouch width somewhere between 30 to 50% more than the actual diameter of the ammo being used - at least based on my personal experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts