Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I find them useful, yes, as with them it's much more convenient to use your preferred anchor point, and just adjust the sights.
I don't use them personally, because I just use the fork width that I am most comfortable with, but they are a good addition nonetheless.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi Mike,

Mostly I do a review of the position when a different type of band-set is used, or temperature changes.

- Once you dialed in with an ammo, band-set, distance etc. you don't have to adjust it all the time.

- It is tempting to make changes after a couple shots, but stay strong and shoot paper for a while before you make a decision.

- When an impact point is off, check your posture and release first and try to make sure you recognize the error before adjusting sights like crazy.

- Make sure you have a decent grouping. Somewhat smaller than a palm size. Once you have a grouping like that you can move the pin to reach the center of the target.

- It is easier to shoot with a sight if your goal is overall precision. Your group will be tighter. When shooting for accuracy and peak performance I can't say it is a necessity.

Personally I do enjoy shooting without a sight. It suits better with my habits and style BUT using sights for the last 3-4 months exclusively (on a Spanish shooter and a custom TTF of mine), really improved some of my aiming related skills.

As a side note: some Chinese shooters are fairly small and designed to shoot smaller ammo too. Look for the technical parameters before make a decision.

Happy New Year mate!

Have fun,

Mark

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've never used a slingshot with sights, but it looks like I would need to adjust my technique to make them work, and I can't come up with any reason why I'd want to do that other than just trying something different...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find them useful, yes, as with them it's much more convenient to use your preferred anchor point, and just adjust the sights.
I don't use them personally, because I just use the fork width that I am most comfortable with, but they are a good addition nonetheless.
Thanks, I've actually ordered the Toucan now, it's on special offer so it's an opportunity to try something new.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mike,

Mostly I do a review of the position when a different type of band-set is used, or temperature changes.

- Once you dialed in with an ammo, band-set, distance etc. you don't have to adjust it all the time.

- It is tempting to make changes after a couple shots, but stay strong and shoot paper for a while before you make a decision.

- When an impact point is off, check your posture and release first and try to make sure you recognize the error before adjusting sights like crazy.

- Make sure you have a decent grouping. Somewhat smaller than a palm size. Once you have a grouping like that you can move the pin to reach the center of the target.

- It is easier to shoot with a sight if your goal is overall precision. Your group will be tighter. When shooting for accuracy and peak performance I can't say it is a necessity.

Personally I do enjoy shooting without a sight. It suits better with my habits and style BUT using sights for the last 3-4 months exclusively (on a Spanish shooter and a custom TTF of mine), really improved some of my aiming related skills.

As a side note: some Chinese shooters are fairly small and designed to shoot smaller ammo too. Look for the technical parameters before make a decision.

Happy New Year mate!

Have fun,

Mark
Mark, thank you for all the details, very helpful!

I have ordered the Toucan Agile Rosewood, it's on special offer, so an opportunity to try something different, including the sights. It has a 10mm 304 stainless steel core so looks pretty rugged.

There's not much risk, if I don't bond with it, I am sure I can sell it on Ebay for a good price, it is a certain charm about it. :)

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never used a slingshot with sights, but it looks like I would need to adjust my technique to make them work, and I can't come up with any reason why I'd want to do that other than just trying something different...
Thanks Bob, I have ordered the Toucan Agile Rosewood because it's on special offer and an opportunity to try something different. It would be easy to resell if I don't bond with it. :)

Mike

·
Registered
403 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Some people swear they're the future to more precise target shooting. I've tried them on a few Toucanesque frames and I haven't had any luck. I find they obscure the target too much and they distract from any micro adjustments I make just before the release of a shot. I prefer a well dialed reference already in my sighting picture, using the bands and fork tips.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The thing us that at competitions, where the distance is a set 10m, sights are not needed. Now, if we add variable distance, then I can see their usefulness. Still, as 3danman said, I prefer my old fashioned reference point :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Some people swear they're the future to more precise target shooting. I've tried them on a few Toucanesque frames and I haven't had any luck. I find they obscure the target too much and they distract from any micro adjustments I make just before the release of a shot. I prefer a well dialed reference already in my sighting picture, using the bands and fork tips.
Thanks, I can try the Toucan, when I get it, with and without the sights.

I am also interested to see how well the band clamps work.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing us that at competitions, where the distance is a set 10m, sights are not needed. Now, if we add variable distance, then I can see their usefulness. Still, as 3danman said, I prefer my old fashioned reference point :)
Thanks, when I get the Toucan, I can try it with and without the sights. I have my doubts about their usefulness.

Mike

·
Registered
612 Posts

Mike
For sure! I would recommend hitting the clips with some sandpaper to knock down some of the edges, particularly if you're using a thinner elastic.

·
Registered
591 Posts

Mike
For sure! I would recommend hitting the clips with some sandpaper to knock down some of the edges, particularly if you're using a thinner elastic.
Thanks, yes, I do tend to round off any corners.

I shan't do any of that till I know I want to keep the beast - if I don't bond with it, I'll put it on Ebay UK described as "Mint".

Sometimes I put a bit of thin leather under the rubber to cushion a corner, or a bit of masking tape. I could do that anyway without marking the frame.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.