Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
When I got my first SPS I was struggling to hit a 3 in spinner. But I kept shooting just it and now can hit a 1 in spinner without any difficulty. Can do the same with my Stealth Shot and Scouts. I may never be a match lighter, have broke a bunch. But that's ok. I'm happy with my Accuracy. Still have fun shooting. And if I ever have to hunt with a slingshot won't be shooting at Match size game. Not enough meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am happy with the progress of consistency regarding my accuracy. Does that count? I've only been shooting a few months but not matter how good I get, it'll never be good enough for me. I'm like that with everything I do. I can't just be "ok" at something. I don't have to be the best but I have to do it to the best of my abilities. Just how I'm wired. Some say it is a character flaw.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I am not happy with my accuracy. Ok, I have made much progress, but I still have issues I need to solve. Mainly a focus/aiming issue, as I am much more accurate and consistent when shooting targets smaller than 1.5cm. I know it makes no sense, but it's hard for me to hit bigger targets. I can do it of course, but I need to conciously focus, while on the small targets I just draw and shoot.
I have made progress today on that front, but it's still early.
So, not happy yet guys.

·
Premium Member
10,969 Posts
CJW this post is awesome It just goes to show that if you find a slingshot that fits your hand, we can reach our accuracy goal. I don’t set my goals so high that I can’t reach them without some serious, but fun practice.on the other hand, I will know more after my eye surgery this month. What my next goals are. I would bet you can light a match if that’s what you choose to do.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes, at the 10m mark, since that's the distance I shoot at the most. I hit with consistency on a GZK 4cm and 6cm spinners. When I hit the trails and shoot at random things at further distances, I'm not so happy. That's when start having near misses. But it's good to get out and challenge myself to various shots at various distances.

·
Registered
625 Posts
. When I hit the trails and shoot at random things at further distances, I'm not so happy. That's when start having near misses. But it's good to get out and challenge myself to various shots at various distances.
When I shoot at a tuna can hanging in a catch box shooting from 30 ft. to 45 ft. I am happy. Since I went to lighter bands and 3/8s ammo my shooting has gotten much better and more consistent by far. But like ShootnCoastie that hit to miss ratio drops like a 44 lead when I switch to my hunting bands and heavy ammo to go for a woods walk. If I choose targets out past 30ft or so I start getting lots of near misses with a hit more likely on the second or even the third shot. Now, a rabbit or even a squirrel is bigger than the tree knots or leaves or sticks I'm practicing on but I'd still like to be able to hit a tuna can out to 40ft. or so at least 7 out of 10 shots with heavy bands and ammo. On the first shot. So I have a ways to go and may never get there.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I'm not happy with my 10 metre accuracy. I constantly battle target panic and struggle to maintain full draw. The TP is something that I will always be working on and it is more ingrained at the closer distances. When I move the target to 20-30 yards I usually do okay, for now. Some days I can nail a pop can 70-80% from 20 yards, when using mild bands. I can even do fine on a pie plate at 30 yards but cramp up when moving back down to 10. It's a mental game. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
10,969 Posts
I like the post CJW started, “Are you happy with your accuracy “ if I specifically go out to improve my accuracy, it’s not as fun as plinking. I pick a target, usually made of paper to see if I’m off one way or another. I sometimes switch to a can just because I like the sound and the movement Depending on how I feel that day, after plinking targets, I set up a spinning target that will slightly challenge me. Once I become proficient with that target, I usually take a well needed break I sometimes listen to pbs radio, unless it gets political, or depressing everyday drama. I do listen to music, but only if I’m alone, mainly because what I like not too many people I know like what I like. one of the best videos I can recall is TreeFork lighting a match at first he didn’t think it light You just have to see it, so I won’t spoil the moment. I hope you can find it, or TreeFork will post it

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
I think a lot of shooters dwell to much on pin point accuracy right away instead of learning the fundamentals of Slingshot shooting. Before I got my first SPS I was a pretty good shot. When I got my first one I couldn't hit anything with it. Was so frustrated with it and looped tubes I was ready to throw it. But I watched MJ and Keith Dieton shoot them extremely accurately and told myself I'm a good shot and if they can get accurate with it than so can I. So I put away all my other slingshots and shot nothing but the SPS with 20/40 looped tubes. Took me probably 6 months before I could say I was really accurate with it. But I never gave up. It's still my primary shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm good enough to be able to poke holes in things from afar, and to impress people who don't know what they're looking at. That's good enough to have fun for me.

That said, I'm thinking about settling down a little. Right now almost every bandset I make has a different taper, elastic, or pouch choice. Experimentation is a lot of the fun for me but I'm going to narrow it down and start practicing with a more dedicated setup. I'm a full-time college student and now that the school year has started, my shooting sessions are few and far between. A dedicated setup and more focused practice sessions will help to maintain my skills mote effectively for the time being. Straight cut flats with 5/16" I think.

Good topic. I think some people jump into a hobby right into the deep end and they get burnt out when they realize how much work it takes to be decent at it. Alternatively, a shooting sport isn't very fun if you can't hit anything :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am not happy with my accuracy. Ok, I have made much progress, but I still have issues I need to solve. Mainly a focus/aiming issue, as I am much more accurate and consistent when shooting targets smaller than 1.5cm. I know it makes no sense, but it's hard for me to hit bigger targets. I can do it of course, but I need to conciously focus, while on the small targets I just draw and shoot.
I have made progress today on that front, but it's still early.
So, not happy yet guys.
It's easier to shoot when using some new small target first time. Concentration is higher level then as when shooting something bigger like beer can.

·
Registered
625 Posts
When I hit the trails and shoot at random things at further distances, I'm not so happy.
Three cheers for diversity! This is when I'm most happy. Trying to knock a cone off of a stump at 75 yards, and occasionally succeeding, tickles me. I love to watch the marbles fly...
75 yards?? 225 ft??? Hulla I'd be lucky to SEE a pine cone on a stump at 75yds. Unless it was jumping around like this :banana: And then,, I MIGHT be able to see it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
When I hit the trails and shoot at random things at further distances, I'm not so happy.
Three cheers for diversity! This is when I'm most happy. Trying to knock a cone off of a stump at 75 yards, and occasionally succeeding, tickles me. I love to watch the marbles fly...
75 yards?? 225 ft??? Hulla I'd be lucky to SEE a pine cone on a stump at 75yds. Unless it was jumping around like this :banana: And then,, I MIGHT be able to see it.
Im pretty content with my shooting after two day of massive rain I went to feed the cattle this morning and there where rats everywhere. I took 14 out of 16 shots from distances of 10 feet to 15 yards. Some of those where moving shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts