Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Wow! That is a dandy. Do you get many bounce outs? I have been using a heavy plastic drum (maybe 30 gals) that I cut a rectangular hole in the side. T-shirts in back and towel in front. It doesn't leave much room in front for a spinner set up like you have. Fine for shooting beer cans though. Maybe if I really get into this, I will build a box similar to yours.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Not many bounce outs. I shoot from inside my garage out the back door. So I'm covered from the rain and sun. It's about 40 feet. Have a ceiling fan above me for summer shooting. Have Led flood lights mounted on back of garage to light catch box at night. And my beer refrigerator about 20 feet away in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
That looks like fine catch box but don't you have trouble with balls rolling out since there is not a lip or retaining wall along the bottom of the box? I need to get me some of those spinner targets.

GP

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
That looks like fine catch box but don't you have trouble with balls rolling out since there is not a lip or retaining wall along the bottom of the box? I need to get me some of those spinner targets.
GP
There's bar magnets running the length of the catch box front. The steel balls are drawn to the magnets . There is a 1in lip at the front of the catch box where the magnets set.You can see two spare magnets at the right of the catch box on the table.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Drum with the bum cut out of it so the ammo drops into the bowl. Temporary position under the house while I renovate, it's dark there which is good and I shoot from way back down the driveway with the light behind me so I can clearly see the trajectory. People walking by can see me and I'm not comfortable with that. So I park the ute on an oblique angle and hide behind it...not ideal.

Do a lot of shooting at work. The last of the autumn leaves cop a hammering.

0037E811-133A-4CF7-BF22-F0F352A12AE8.jpeg

Attachments

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
GP
There's bar magnets running the length of the catch box front. The steel balls are drawn to the magnets . There is a 1in lip at the front of the catch box where the magnets set.You can see two spare magnets at the right of the catch box on the table.

GOOD IDEA

·
Registered
185 Posts
Drum with the bum cut out of it so the ammo drops into the bowl. Temporary position under the house while I renovate, it's dark there which is good and I shoot from way back down the driveway with the light behind me so I can clearly see the trajectory. People walking by can see me and I'm not comfortable with that. So I park the ute on an oblique angle and hide behind it...not ideal.

Do a lot of shooting at work. The last of the autumn leaves cop a hammering.

attachicon.gif
0037E811-133A-4CF7-BF22-F0F352A12AE8.jpeg

I don't like being watched either, idk why but it just rubs me the wrong way. One of my troubles is if the neighbor is out, I go right in haha, maybe to avoid the small talk or claims of property damage. (my neighbor is a good 30 yards to my right, tried to say my soft clay ammo damaged (looked like weed trimmer damage on base of siding) the right side of his house...which is the side that faces opposite of me so I am not sure how he jumped to that conclusions. I shoot in my backyard, well away from anyone's house, let alone their property and into open emptiness. so now I just feel uncomfortable haha)

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
That's a very nice box CJW. Mines just plywood but I'm happy with it. It's deep and I get very few bounce outs and the ammo roles into the bucket on the front.
For shootin' Gangsta! Right?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Dang!

Well, I was happy until I looked at the posted photos. If ignorance is bliss, then knowledge must be envy.

And I am definitely suffering from a massive case of catch-box envy!

I have two (one in the basement and one outdoors), both cardboard boxes, reinforced with cardboard and gaffer's tape, with a dowel run through it for a couple of old T-shirts and a piece of string to hold a paper target, which is taped to a target frame made from - you guessed it! - cardboard and gaffer's tape. When I start getting bounce-outs, I know its time for a new paper target.

It would be nice to have a more permanent set-up - but given the choice between building a catch-box and shooting, I'd rather be shooting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts