Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,418 Posts
In general I'm a bit more cautious right now because of the Covid-19 virus. I'm shooting a bit more 5/16" steel than I usually do, and shoot my 3/8" sparingly and heavier stuff almost not at all. I do have a supply of marbles but in general I have left those for other chores should I need them.

What I do find myself shooting is light single tubes and Daisy BB's ! They are cheap as heck, fly really fast and are just fun to shoot. They do have enough snap for HOSP size pest if you choose to go after those.

Right now I'm having an issue finding a pouch that has a centering hole small enough. The hole in my BB pouch is enlarging and letting the BB fall through ... truly a bummer !! I will try to fix that issue tomorrow with contact cement and a piece of Tyvek :- )

I will post my conclusions.

wll

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I'm buying up all the marbles I can when I'm out in search of groceries lately lol..As for steel & lead I'm with @msturm my good ammo goes into the catchbox or into my game, if it isnt a miss. I've only ever once recovered my ammo once and oddly enough it was a 20mm clay I took a Starling with. Smashed his head like a grape and the ball didnt break I watched it bounce off to the side after impact and after a little poking around I found it haha..

You say that .177 BB x single tube setup has enough pop for Hosp's - have you ever taken one with that setup? The lightest ammo I've ever taken anything with was a Hosp taken from 20 ft or so, frameless 2040 with an 8mm 'target' clay & it was a heashot.

·
4,418 Posts
I'm buying up all the marbles I can when I'm out in search of groceries lately lol..As for steel & lead I'm with @msturm my good ammo goes into the catchbox or into my game, if it isnt a miss. I've only ever once recovered my ammo once and oddly enough it was a 20mm clay I took a Starling with. Smashed his head like a grape and the ball didnt break I watched it bounce off to the side after impact and after a little poking around I found it haha..

You say that .177 BB x single tube setup has enough pop for Hosp's - have you ever taken one with that setup? The lightest ammo I've ever taken anything with was a Hosp taken from 20 ft or so, frameless 2040 with an 8mm 'target' clay & it was a heashot.
No I have not but >>> the speed at which the BB is traveling is much faster then my old 102 or 105 Daisy as I remember and it a was a Hosp shooting machine (when I was 8 to 12 years old). I used to watch the BB's arc their way to the target,, and these BB's really zip coming out of this single tubes 2040 with a 500% elongation factor.

I traded a fairly new 105 (I think it was for a Daisy 880 .. which is a great pump up BB gun ;- )

And yes, the piece of Tyvek and contact cement worked great fixing my small pouch .. shot Lots and Lots of BB's today without a problem ;- )

wll

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
I always save my ammo, by using a catch box :) Where my range is anything other that 177 bbs, clay ammo and biodegradable airsoft ammo should be recovered. Therefore when I shoot steel I use a catch box. Honestly I still have steel from the first order I ever placed for ammo (Simple Shot). Though not much of it and I am not currently using it.

I am currently limiting my use of clay ammo, I like how it hits and that I can use it to chase cans across the range, I just don't have much of it on hand.

Good topic, never know for sure how long it will be til we can reup :)

Reactions: BushpotChef

·
Trying to find my way.
399 Posts
Hello, what is 'Hosp'?

When i go for translation, i get Hospital :D
I might be something else :D
English House Sparrow, they are an invasive species here in the USA.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
@Hobbit With A Slingshot Yup those suckers are just about at the top of my 'shoot on sight' list. My barn cats eat them like buffalo wings lol.

@wll no doubt I have a Daisy Model 25 I've have since I was a kid with 3 brass washers preloading an aftermarket spring I put in it, sends bb's at just shy of 480 fps & really does an awesome job on sparrows. It's also dead quiet an holds 50 shots so I can pretty much clean out the garden with it lol. Its kind of amazing how fast singles can send a BB, Im with you that its likely more pop than most BB guns for sure.

@raventree78 Yes sir, chasing cans is a great form of meditation IMO. It gets a little trickier every time you score a hit and have to shoot it from further and further until its outside your comfort zone. Have you tried rolling your own clay ammo yet or are you still buying premade?

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
I am using premade, need to roll my own one of these days :)

·
4,418 Posts
Yes, those little BB's are coming out quickly for sure, shot 'em today and will tomorrow also. I can shoot and not have to retrieve my ammo and it cost me pennies. if I shoot 150 shots in practice (that is a whole lot) ... it cost me between 22 cents and 30 cents. I buy my BB's at Wally World where they range in price from around 8 bucks to around 10 ish bucks for 6000ea

For me 150 shots is a whole bunch of practice for a session. After about 30-40 practice shots I'm tired, but I may come back later. 100 shots a day is really, for me more than I can handle and 100 shots is between 15 cents and 18 cents worth of shooting. All this while shooting at something where I don't have to retrieve the ammo.

On top of that a small handful of many, many BB's is very little weight so when hiking you can shoot to your hearts content and never worry about the weight of your ammo, not to mention the smaller, lighter and less obtrusive slingshot along with the lighter pull weight ---- you have a winner !. Put an extra elastic set or two in your vest pocket and you are down the road !!!

wll

News Flash.:

OMG, OMG .. i just checked the prices of BB's and with what is going on, the price of BB's is through the roof at ebay and Amazon ... WOW, this is crazy.

If I have some free time I may hit up Wally World up for another pack of BB's, for practice, I doubt I'll run out, but I'm not going to shoot my good stuff when BB's are\were so cheap !!!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Yes, those little BB's are coming out quickly for sure, shot 'em today and will tomorrow also. I can shoot and not have to retrieve my ammo and it cost me pennies. if I shoot 150 shots in practice (that is a whole lot) ... it cost me between 22 cents and 30 cents. I buy my BB's at Wally World where they range in price from around 8 bucks to around 10 ish bucks for 6000ea

For me 150 shots is a whole bunch of practice for a session. After about 30-40 practice shots I'm tired, but I may come back later. 100 shots a day is really, for me more than I can handle and 100 shots is between 15 cents and 18 cents worth of shooting. All this while shooting at something where I don't have to retrieve the ammo.

On top of that a small handful of many, many BB's is very little weight so when hiking you can shoot to your hearts content and never worry about the weight of your ammo, not to mention the smaller, lighter and less obtrusive slingshot along with the lighter pull weight ---- you have a winner !. Put an extra elastic set or two in your vest pocket and you are down the road !!!

wll

News Flash.:

OMG, OMG .. i just checked the prices of BB's and with what is going on, the price of BB's is through the roof at ebay and Amazon ... WOW, this is crazy.

If I have some free time I may hit up Wally World up for another pack of BB's, for practice, I doubt I'll run out, but I'm not going to shoot my good stuff when BB's are\were so cheap !!!
Haha that was a sharp left turn when you looked at Amazon LOL! But I totally agree .177 is the way to go for all out plinking, unless you can get some heavyweight airsoft ammo.. I had some serious fun with a Torque set up for airsoft for about a week with just a sandwich bag of bb's. I was stunned at the range you could get out of such light ammo moving so quickly.

Reactions: hoggy

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm at work and I decide to run over to Wally World to see if they had Daisy BB's in the 6000 pack and they had some, I bought 3 packs for $7.63 ea which included tax ;- )

So 150 shots cost me ~19c, 100 Shots cost me almost 12.7c ------- Your can't beat that with a stick.

I put 3/8" circle Tyvek patches over the placement holes in my small pouches I'm using and so far that has been working just great. I have been shooting that way for a couple of days and I'm very happy, no slipping of the Tyvek and no BB's getting stuck in the pouch hole that over time will get a bit larger.

3%20Packs%20of%20Daisy%20BBs%20sm.png

wll

·
Registered
194 Posts
I haven't hunted with a sling before as I don't feel quite up to standards yet, but I do feel I'm subconsciously hanging on to my heavier ammo although most of it ends up in my catch mat. I have 300 11mm steel about 200 10mm steel, a few hundred 9.5mm, 150 10mm lead and 200 12mm lead as well as a few 8mm steel and some marbles rattling around. It's more bands I'm in need of, I ordered some bsb white but it's no where to be seen. Still got a bit of gzk and 100% left and maybe 15m of 1842 and 10m of 2040. Delivery services are still operating in the UK at the moment but under huge demand and very very slow

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went out again today and practiced some more, the clouds were heavy so It was difficult seeing that little BB travel. I lasered the distance to the old barn side and it is between 30-33 yards depending on where I stand. I was shooting pretty good with my shots right around that old plastic bag hanging off a branch.

Even at that distance a hit from a BB going out as fast as it is going would "STING LIKE HECK".

I hope tomorrow is a bit warmer and not as windy, the bad weather really puts a damper on stuff !! I may put new 2040 tubes on this sling, but not sure as it is still shooting pretty good and why toss out usable rubber ?

More to come ;- )

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Not only am I saving up my good ammo, I just bought some more 3/8" steel. Even though the 3/8" size is not the "BEST" hunting ammo, it will do and it is much cheaper than 7/16" my favorite. 3/8" is good for 95% of the stuff that I would go after to hunt, that includes rabbits and pigeons. Where I live that is about what I see and although the bigger ammo is cool and delivers a real "WACK" it most times is not needed. You can get 3/8" steel moving pretty fast and it can put the hurt on lots of stuff. The ONLY other ammo I may buy is 5/16" (8mm) steel, I can carry a lot of ammo, can fly very fast with light elastic and is OK for small game up close. I can carry a smaller slingshot and lots of ammo and I do like that. marbles are great, but I can get the steel much cheaper than marbles and marbles take up a lot of room in your pocket.

Look at the Vietnam Slingshot hunting videos, you will notice most of the time they are using around 8mm size ammo and shoot down all kinds of birds for food, some of the birds are pretty darn big. Their philosophy may be a bit different then ours in that they hit them with enough force to bring them down/ break a wing or ? and then dispatch them then they get them, that way they are spending the least amount of $ for ammo

This will probably be the last shipment of 3/8" I will need to buy as I already have lots, and this is just the icing on the cake. Will probably get it in the middle of next week.

wll

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use my catch box so I dont lose ammo so fast but i did purchase some more and materials incase it becomes more challenging to acquire it later. I haven't tried alot if ammo sizes but at this point i shoot exclusively 7/16 steel

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I shot lots of BB's today (100+), a few 3/4" jawbreakers, and about 4ea 5/16" steel. I'm really going hardship on my good steel balls and marbles that's for sure. The BB's when shot at a dark area with light on the side or in back of you can be seen, so I can see where I hit ... at many targets or times of day that is not possible. The BB's do fly very fast, so they do reach the target quickly.

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my 3/8" ammo is on it way to the outpost, and I will have enough for my life time and now many others. When I get the boxes I will spray them with alcohol and then deposit them in the storage area. I'll be getting a shipment this Friday and on next Tuesday I believe. I checked prices of marbles also and they were a good bit more expensive then the steel I'm getting ... but I had to buy a lot to get the price I wanted. If I don't die with the Covid-19 virus or come down with some other ailment in the next 20 years, I'm OK ;- )

I'm still going to be practicing with BB's though, as they are super cheap and if you are shooting with the right backstop, you can see them fly. Waste not, Want not !

wll

1 - 20 of 24 Posts