Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the intentional risk of firing up slingshoothers everywhere I am going to stand firm and ask WHY are you shooting BACKWARDS??!

I have seen the question pop up here on The Forum and noticed that the conversation typically leads to the choice of the 'dominate eye'. My studies will disagree with that theory.

Using MY example of being Right Handed I will divulge my theory so that you may attempt to shred my experience and insight. I am Right Hand Dominate. This means I do almost everything right handed that requires dexterity or practice or hand strength. When I need to engage the power of my Right Hand preference then I switch to being 'Left Handed'.

As a baseball player I was taught to bat 'left handed' as in that movement you need to engage the right side of you body to essentially 'pull' that bat through to contact the ball. I also play golf from the 'left side'. I swing an axe from the 'left side'. I hold a pistol in my right hand, rifle on the right shoulder. I shot my bow holding with my right hand, and of course my slingshots.
We discuss the holding of the pouch quite often, but what about it if you cannot hold your frame steady on target? My left hand isn't dramatically weaker than my right hand. However dexterity and sensitivity is less than in my dominate right hand. I see this as an advantage in that I don't rely on my practiced knowledge that I can pinch something and lift it better with my dominate right hand. When I am pinching a pouch with my left hand all I think about is letting it go as quickly as possible. I know I cannot hold it forever so all I focus on is releasing my pinch in one smooth movement. In my thinking I have created less room for a bad release due to over-holding my pouch.

So there you go. All you LH shooters that are RH dominate need to chuck your slingshots and start shooting RH. And if your LH dominate and you are shooting RH then load up those slingshots and ship them to me so that you can start over!

No need to show up to my house to ding my mailbox! Just post your comments below or PM me for the place to mail your RH slingshots!!!
Mojave Moonshine Mo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't know, I think good shooting is mostly in the pouch hand. The fork hand really just needs to point in the general direction of the target and the pouch hand can be manipulated to put the shot on target. Trying to line everything up the same way every time just makes it easier to figure out what to do with the pouch hand in relation to the fork hand.

But then there is a Rufus Hussey video on youtube where he pretty much says just the opposite. So, maybe I am backwards...

Reactions: MOJAVE MO

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In my case, the pouch is steady with an anchor point on the cheekbone with my right dominant hand. However, a shaky non-dominant left hand (arm) can make accurate shooting a bit of a haphazard task: I have had to work on this issue.

Being right-handed, I have less control with my left hand, but have found that lifting two 3 kg training weights (6.6 pounds) and holding these with both arms extended to the side several times for 10 minutes each day has strengthened the muscles of my left arm to the point that I can remain very steady on target with a slingshot, even with fairly stout flat bands.

The result is tighter groups on the target. The same simple exercise also applies to archery (bow weight and draw weight) and handgun shooting: it will yield better results for those shooting heavier L-frame revolvers or heavier pistols - not to mention better control of recoil with larger calibers.

Ultimately, it's a case of training "muscle memory" of the "weaker" (non-dominant) arm and hand, as well as endurance during longer slingshot shooting sessions: 40 to 50 shots per session works quite well for me, with an emphasis on tight groups at 10 yards on corrugated cardboard. Shooting regularly helps to maintain the shooting skill level acquired.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I shoot pistols with my right and sight with the right eye, slingshots and bows? I am holding with my right hand and aiming with my left eye. I shoot a long arm on my left and aim with the left eye...but my right hand is getting me on target. Its a wonder that I can hit anything.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I am getting the idea that I should restart the conversation from a different angle....?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Mmm... No! I think you're good. I'm following and if you know me... Meh! (Of course that is not a recommendation to your point.) :drinkup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.