Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a variation of Desert Ironwood called "Copperwood". A knife maker from Arizona sent me a blank of this stuff for a fork. Not as cracky or as smelly as Ironwood,but very hard and takes a great finish like it's more famous cousin. One little crack at the groove where the ties go. That was pinned and now it's solid. If anyone knows anything about this wood.please let me know. I did a search and all I found was wood treated with copper (pressure treated). This is not that green wood. Maybe the Arizona guys know about it? Pelleteer? Flatband

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm not familiar with anything specifically called copperwood. The grain and color, however, appear very much like our native mesquite. Perhaps "copperwood" is a nickname for mesquite that I'm just not aware of? It's certainly beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Scotty,
is mesquite heavy and very solid? Flatband

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Me confieso admirador de esta madera y vaya que le hiciste justicia Flatband. qué acabado les diste? porque por las bondades de la madera se puede prescindir del barniz, puede ser suficiente el pulido y con la grasa de la misma palma de la mano va adquiriendo mayor lustre. Me gustó mucho como quedaron.

I confess admirer of this wood and goes that you did Flatband justice to him. finished what is to them? because by kindness of the wood it is possible to be done without the varnish, the polished one can be sufficient and with the fat of the same palm of the hand it is acquiring greater luster. I liked much as they were.

Chepo

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
It does look like Mesqu1te heart wood and yes it is a solid and heavy hardwood. I have made several board-cut slingshots from it. Mesquite makes one of the best natural fork slingshots there is. We have three varieties here, Green heart, Purple Heart and Honey (local names). Flatbands wood looks like the Honey. For shooters in the northern regions, Mesquite is a similar tree to a Locust tree although I think that it is a little tougher. In fact I think that wood types from hot arid regions, are generally tougher that wood types from cooler areas. It is also somewhat costly. -- Tex

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Bill. I've been trying to find something on this (Copperwood) but come up empty. I guess it is a Mesquite honey type like you said. It is pretty stuff and very dense. Flatband

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Gary -Flatband I must say you are not a slingshot maker but an arteeessttt!!!!(artist). WoW your slingshots are great. I would be afraid to shoot them. I would have to display it. You have bragging rites bud.

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Roy! Thanks for the nice words Bud! Wood is so cool! Flatband

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sorry, flat. I haven't been around much recently (just happened to log in today and see the question). Tex got it, though. Mesquite is indeed hard, dense, and heavy. It's also good for cookin' steaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts