Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Here's one I've always wanted to have a frame made from-Genuine Arizona Desert Ironwood. They usually make knife scales with this wood because it usually is in smaller pieces. Difficult to find a suitable sized piece for a Slingshot. I had worked this one a while ago and it had some cracks in it. I pinned it ( 7 pins one side 2 on the other). Hard wood to work,very dense and very heavy and with a tendency for many cracks. (120-130 degree desert heat I guess I would crack too!). Anyway here is the finished piece. Awesome grain and color on this wood. The photo does not do it justice. One coat of Poly but you don't even need that, Just a high speed cotton wheel and she'll shine like glass. I just soaked her in Poly with the idea to seal any other hairthin cracks she might have in her. Wonderful character to this piece! Flatband
(click on the pics to make them bigger)

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
A very nice piece Flatband. Tex

·
Registered
855 Posts
Absolutely stunning, Flat! That's the best looking grain I've seen on any slingshot yet.
That does it! I'm going out tomorrow and hackin' me down an ironwood tree! I guess I should find out where and how it's legal to harvest them first...But still....
Just beautiful!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
OK flatband,

Maybe it's because I haven't seen enough wooden slingshots, but are you trying to make us covet? I want it.
I am drooling, can't you see?

Wow you have gold in my opinion!!

That is my vote for slingshot of the month of February. Some one will have to have something off the charts to change my mind.

Ray

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some kind of wood ain't it? Hey Pelleteer,if you happen to find any of this stuff laying around out in your yard, SAVE IT !!! I spoke to someone else from Arizona and he said they use it for firewood!
He has to be kidding me! I have another piece that is called "Copperwood". It also grows out in the Arizona desert. A knife maker gave me both pieces. Said the Copperwood( a type of ironwood) is even rarer then the Ironwood. I'll be working that soon. Thanks Guys! Flatband

·
Registered
855 Posts
Flat, nothing laying around in the yard (
), but there are oodles of ironwoods planted in the median of one of the main roads just up the street. Somehow, I think the city might get irked if they came by and saw them all missing...I guess I could sneak out in the night and unobtrusively cut myself a couple naturals, though...

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Pelleteer,
don't get in any trouble Bud. If you do happen upon a really nice(no cracks)piece,keep me in mind. I'm always on the lookout for stunning wood and this wood fits the bill. We'll work something out trading or monetarily! Cool! Flatband

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I know about that place Aaron-how about that Ironwood Burl? JEEZ!!!!!!
Flatband

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool stuff ain't it Thwupp-p? Thanks, Flatband

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Awesome! five stars and three thumbs up!

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Smit man! Flatband

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
That'd be his 'middle thumb'. I can understand why; it's a gorgeous slingshot. DI's not easy to use.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts