Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have had some fun reading about slingbows here and a common subject I find is "big game" hunting.

I have had quite fun with homemade flechettes and wonder why those are not used for bigger game that some people hunt?

To me it seems like the power of flechettes is much higher then arrows as you can use a longer draw then a slingbow.

Aiming would be more like a conventional slingshot which would maybe be better for some?

It would be easier to carry and not so bulky as having 30" arrows with you.

The only downside I see is the are hard to train with as they are not good for shooting archery targets with and are a real pain to get out of wooden boards.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I think flechettes would do very well for hunting a lot of species. If you take a garbage bag and stuff it with old shirts, towels or fabric in general and practice with flechettes that are blunter than the hunting ones, you'll have a good cheap target that won't over penetrate or be hard to your ammo back from. Also when its shot up you can just transfer the rags.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think flechettes would do very well for hunting a lot of species. If you take a garbage bag and stuff it with old shirts, towels or fabric in general and practice with flechettes that are blunter than the hunting ones, you'll have a good cheap target that won't over penetrate or be hard to your ammo back from. Also when its shot up you can just transfer the rags.
That's a good idea, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I made two "hunting" flechettes for testing.
One long 3080grain pana type of dart with a slot for the string.

And one 1100grain with a 1" 2 blade boardhead.

The was very slow but did penetrate a 30mm particle board and got stuck about one centimeter into the second board, but it did break when I tried to remove it at the slot.

The 1100gr dart did hold up better, on the first shot it did get stuck but on the second shot it did blow a big hole in the 30mm board and was very easy to push through.

I do however have no idea of how many particle board it need to penetrate for be good for something like a dear?

Now I just have to figure out how to up load the pictures...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts