Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out to one of my favorite spots this morning and saw that somebody had set up a bunch (8 plus) nice liquor and wine bottles. One had been smashed, but the rest were waiting there apparently as targets.

There was a pile of 9mm casings about 10 yards back. Comparing the number of casings spent to the proportion of bottles smashed left me a bit underwhelmed.

So I moved the bottles to the side and went back to 15 yards to thwap a few spinners and cut a tall skinny can (10 oz sparkling water can, thin profile with 12 oz can height).

I did leave the bottles hoping that whoever comes back will clean up the mess should they hit a few next time.

I'm not always above temptation though. Earlier this summer I came across a couple of still full bottles of some sorta beer like crap (bud light lime light or some such stuff) baking in the 100 degree sun. It looked like some teenagers had left them. So, to indulge myself and save them from this toxic stuff should they return, I did have a crack at those. And it was pretty cool. After baking in that heat they EXPLODED! Then, after a moment of enjoying myself, I spent the next little bit picking up glass in the stench of that sun baked "beer".

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Good for you. The whole world seems to be full of broken glass. You even see it out in the desert. Remember the pull tabs? They were everywhere. Wonder where they all went.
I used to coach a lot of youth sports and had a few kids that had bad run ins with broken glass. You are dead on right, the world is full of it. One of my pet peeves after seeing too many stitches caused by inconsiderate idiots.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cool. Good for you. The whole world seems to be full of broken glass. You even see it out in the desert. Remember the pull tabs? They were everywhere. Wonder where they all went.
Believe me , they (pulltabs) are still there , just covered a little with dirt. Get a metal detector and you will see what I mean. The Creator has a sense of dry ironic humor and made the sound of many pull tabs very close to the sound of a gold ring on a metal detector,,,,maddening in a public park these days.(n)

If a slingshot gathering ever occurs in the Southwest I have access to 10 acres in the Zuni mountains with a pile of 10 years of daily wine bottle accumulation that a bunch of delinquents could have a ball with after we lay out a sizable tarp. It would be good way to begin the recycling project:)

·
See The Target
21,561 Posts
I would take my dog out to the woods to work out . He found a broken bottle that really cut his paw deep . A trip to the vet and hundreds of dollars later was first hand experience of the hazard to pets and wildlife . No bottle shooting for this animal lover .

·
Mojave Mo
5,017 Posts
A few years back I found a great place to shoot in the middle of a toxic waste dump that others had used for shooting bottles. I set all the bottles I could find up on a little hill for me to lay waste. They looked like an army of hooligans coming over the bluff. I took them all down and posted my success and photo evidence here on the Forum. Suffice to say the fallout from my actions resulted in significant sling trauma for a few months and I still can’t even drink from a bottle to this day. I never went back, moved out of that state, and then I heard from a friend that they buried the toxic sludge and built a playground on top of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts