Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom (a former environmentalist) has finally given me the OK on the hunting of the three invasive Asian carp species, once they reach my part of Lake Erie.

Is there anyone on here that lives in the path of invasion who shoots these nasty fish? I would love to hear your setup, as well as any tips you might have.

If you have hunted them, do you think that a Daisy B-52 and 3/8" steel ammo is sufficient to at least penetrate through the scales and into the skull or rib cage?

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
I think that would be a very poor choice as you also have the water to deal with.

A more effective setup would be to use an arrow setup similar to bow fishing. This can be done with a slingshot.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I think that would be a very poor choice as you also have the water to deal with.

A more effective setup would be to use an arrow setup similar to bow fishing. This can be done with a slingshot.
once again the wisdom of Hrawk is right on target, with the set up you speak of the asian crap would have to come to you and pose to get a fatal hit, arrows my friend!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Or he could shoot them out of the air! Have yall never watched them videos of them jumping like 6 feet in the air? People attempt to shoot them from the air with bows. If you havent seen a vid, then look it up on youtube.

·
See The Target
21,698 Posts
I live near the Illinois River and been bowfishing carp for 30 years.These are a hearty breed and would require a bow fishing rig.A lot of times these fish are spooked by the sound of the boat and will go aerial requiring some archery wingshooting skill.They are also shootable in the water at times depending on water clarity.If they reach the Great Lakes it will be an eco disaster.Plenty on of INFO ON GOOGLE and UTUBE

·
Registered
82 Posts
My mom mentioned to me that they go to very similar habitats to common carp, so my shooting is based off of that. At my summer house in Canada, there is a rocky point between two beaches. Carp (not Asian) have been seen feeding there. Also, there are these 2 ft. deep pools where carp come in. Then, it would be a simple matter of damming them off and putting some steel in their head (hopefully).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey, just be careful and ONLY EAT IF YOU KNOW HOW TO COOK THEM! They are bottom feeders and can have enough algal toxins in their systems to cause you to run to the hospital. My cousin was stuck in a hospital bed for week..... Anyways, you have to clean them right and cook them properly if you are to eat them. However, they are very bony fish and are probably not worth the risk. I might be a little over-cautious lol but that's because I've seen what they are capable of doing to your body. Good luck!

Oh, by the way, it's better to use a rigged up slingshot that can fire arrows that can be retrieved. Try looking up ''slingshot bowfishing'', that might help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, thank you for all your advice. I've got about ten years of waiting on my hands, so I can practice for every day and get MUCH better, then worry about pest control.

Hopefully, I won't screw up my first shot after all of this work...

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
Or he could shoot them out of the air! Have yall never watched them videos of them jumping like 6 feet in the air? People attempt to shoot them from the air with bows. If you havent seen a vid, then look it up on youtube.
forget the weapons, just use your hands . itll be like catching a football on a rainy day . im sure a few will just jump into the boat . fishicide .

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
forget the weapons, just use your hands . itll be like catching a football on a rainy day . im sure a few will just jump into the boat . fishicide .
[/quote]
Carp Sammich!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But I don't have a boat! The easily accessible are where carp go is too small and too shallow to go in a boat. Also, I forgot to mention that just offshore from the "hunting grounds" is a sandbar, where carp often root around, with their spine above the water. On a shot where its body is perpendicular to me, this would be a good shot to try and crack the spine with a shot.

·
See The Target
21,698 Posts
But I don't have a boat! The easily accessible are where carp go is too small and too shallow to go in a boat. Also, I forgot to mention that just offshore from the "hunting grounds" is a sandbar, where carp often root around, with their spine above the water. On a shot where its body is perpendicular to me, this would be a good shot to try and crack the spine with a shot.
What your proposing is inadequate to harvest the carp.It will result in an injured fish that escapes. Bowfishing rig is a must! Check your local conservation laws.More than likely this is illegal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am looking into the purchase of a SS that can be used for steel and arrows. From there, I will be quite cautious about my target practice and hopefully my hunting. In terms of bowfishing, it is good that I have one of those vests (for lures) as a disguise, as well as a rod and a pocket-sized SS. All I need to do is get past the people on the beach and be somewhat sneaky when I shhot

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.