·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
That's a pretty cool site! It's also a good illustration of why non-cored boardcuts aren't a great idea. It's pretty much impossible to get the grain running the right way on both forks with most modern designs.
As far as naturals go, the wisdom I've always went by is that if the tree produces fruit, nuts, or flowers then it's strong enough to make a natural out of. Of course, maple doesn't do anything of those things and it's fine,too :)
Mostly just don't use evergreens or willows and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Thank for posting the link. It's a good reminder to be cautious when cutting frames from boards.

Quite some time ago there was a discussion about wood grain that resulted in a great option being suggested by someone. Straight grained boards can be cut so the grain runs straight through both forks. This requires the board to be cut down the center and a wedge cut from each side. The 2 pieces are glued together to give a herringbone appearance.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Wow! Thank you. I thought I knew all the wood working and carpentry sites... but I am happily wrong.

This is a majorly neglected topic when we share with beginners. This link makes that a lot easier. Seeing is understanding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts