Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
So many people begged me to do a how-to for the Sling-X-Bow.

Of course people don't have welding gear and lathes, so a tutorial can't require such equipment.

I thought about this for a long time, as there were numerous issues to be solved. But then I finalized my blueprints and got to work.

I used wood and off-the-shelf screws only, plus common household tools.

Making it took six hours, because of the constant filming and also because welding stuff together is a lot quicker than drilling holes and fixing screws...

I used Stu's ratchet idea for the cocking, but made my own ratchet out of a length of wood. It is easy, you just push the frame to the front until it hits the stopper, and then it swings into the notch.

I made the frame, the lock base plate, the lock arms and the trigger plate out of multiplex (most of it I found in the trash of my favorite DIY superstore).

This is real solid, shooting hunter bands is not a problem, lots of reserve.

The video will follow tomorrow, here are some pics for now!

Jörg

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Joerg you have out done yourself once again!!!! Amazing!!! I love it!!!! I may need to try it if I ever get caught up....

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Here is the video, some shooting and the entire how-to.

The blueprints can be downloaded here:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2...YzYyNTQwNWE0ZGU0&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

I truly think this is the deadliest, most accurate projectile based weapon you can make from DIY supplies, with nothing but household tools.

You need very special wood for a good bow. You need turning and welding gear for a firearm. This crossbow, all you need can be found in any DIY store for less than 20 dollars, tops.

Good luck

Jörg

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Judging the measurements from the photo above it appears that the stretched band is 4 X the original length.

Correct?
Not quite. The photo is misleading as the rubber is a bit stretched (4cm) in non-cocked condition, so the ball does not fall out of the pouch.

Effective relaxed band length is 18 cm for an 85 cm draw. That is about 4,7 stretch factor. I could go to factor 5, but then the band life would shorten very much.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
That video is great. I like the trigger mechanism and the simplicity of design.

The delay from cocking to shooting doesn't seem any faster than my original Slingshot Bow that I made many years ago to test ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
That video is great. I like the trigger mechanism and the simplicity of design.

The delay from cocking to shooting doesn't seem significantly faster than my original Slingshot Crossbow (link) that I made long ago (link) to test ammo, though. I prefer your slicker metal version in those regards.

I think the delay, the smoothness of the draw and the compactness of the design can be addressed with a pump on a pulley.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The cocking is probably not faster, but a lot more easy and safe. If I understand correctly, yours is loaded be drawing out by hand and then, under full force, inserting the loaded pouch into the trigger.

If you do that with very strong bands, it is quite dangerous. The pouch may slip out of your fingers and then the ball goes off. It is also hard to secure the crossbow for the loading.

I originally started out with such a simple fixed fork, but I hit my thumb while loading. It hurt, and I had a blue nail for weeks.

The metal one looks cooler, but believe it or not the wooden one has less play in the mechanism and the trigger weight is lower, too. Plus, it is lightweight, 800 grams only (loaded).

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
That sounds scary. The way I did it was to place the fork against the ground like a traditional crossbow, draw the pouch with ball inside and hook the loop over the release. Sometimes I did the same with the fork in a vise; that was when bench shooting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.