Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm making a little shooter and fancied using leather tabs with looped tubes. I wanted a way to attach the tabs that looked clean, so wrapping with rubber is out. I had considered drilling a hole and then screwing a wood screw through the tab and into the fork, but I wasn't sure how durable that would be. Can you all give me ideas or previous builds to use as a reference?

I searched and saw someone recommend Chicago screws, but I'd have to order them and I'm not sure what length I'd need exactly. Any other recommendations are appreciated. Material is Oak, forks approximately 1" thick.

Thanks!

Reactions: Tag

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the spanish style, but I want the option of changing the tabs out if they get old. I like the nut and bolt idea, and it wouldn't rely upon the strength of the screw threads holding onto the wood. I'll swing by Home Depot tomorrow and see what I can find. Any other suggestions out there?

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Sorry, i read the material is oak so i suggest it will be a natty shooter?
In my opinion there is nothing cleaner than to wrap and tuck the leathertabs. You can use waxed cordage if you dont like rubber to wrap.
But screws or metal clips or something like that is everything but not "clean" on a natural fork.
I would even prefer to drill holes in the fork tips of a natty for tube attachement than to work with screws and clips.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
A good stiff tab will last for years. However, I use dental floss a lot. Pre-wrap a few rounds on the fork and rub a small amount of school glue on it and let dry. Place your tabs and wrap neatly with the floss. The waxed kind sticks to itself, then another light coat of school glue rubbed in and dried is smooth and clean looking. I superglue mine, but this way you can cut it a lil' and the wraps will peel off and any residue is water clean up if you want to change back.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Chicago bolts (or binding posts) - They can be quite long - so check the length you'd need. Also look for leather binding bolts which can be a lot smaller. Though depending on the depth of the fork - bicycle chainring bolts.

I must admit that on the one frame which I have Chicago bolts I do have them work loose - and they aren't unobtrusive. Mo's bolts he uses actually look like they do the job well.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, i read the material is oak so i suggest it will be a natty shooter?
In my opinion there is nothing cleaner than to wrap and tuck the leathertabs. You can use waxed cordage if you dont like rubber to wrap.
But screws or metal clips or something like that is everything but not "clean" on a natural fork.
I would even prefer to drill holes in the fork tips of a natty for tube attachement than to work with screws and clips.
It's actually a board cut. I wouldn't be messing up a pretty frame like that with screws!

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really great feedback guys! Thank you. You're starting to sway me towards making my wrap n' tucks look cleaner. I really like that dental floss idea. I don't want to go through the hassle of using screws and bolts if their going to work loose either. I'll play around with it and let you know what I come up with!

Reactions: Tag and MakoPat

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
You can use that chinese elastic ribbon stuff too. Just make sure you wrap it really tight if you're drawing a lot of weight. Worked well for me, and if desired, I believe it can look just as clean as the dental floss method. I was not concerned with aesthetics on this bb shooter.

Hand Wood Finger Gesture Plant

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I used to use tabs a fair bit, I used the Chicago screws, only because they had a clean looking finish on them. If you can't get them a 3/16" nut and bolt work works just fine with a couple of washers and to make it look nicer use a beehive nut. You want the bolt to be a snug fit, I drill my holes 5 mm. Below are a couple of examples, notice the 2 different ways of attaching looped tubes and for single tubes attach them the same as the flat band.

Product Blue Bag Collar Body jewelry

Product Sleeve Red Thigh Electric blue

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Wood

The 5 mm hole also lets you use it for the match stick method if you get tired of the tabs.

Plant Yellow Grass Tool People in nature

Attachments

·
985 Posts
I used to use tabs a fair bit, I used the Chicago screws, only because they had a clean looking finish on them. If you can't get them a 3/16" nut and bolt work works just fine with a couple of washers and to make it look nicer use a beehive nut. You want the bolt to be a snug fit, I drill my holes 5 mm. Below are a couple of examples, notice the 2 different ways of attaching looped tubes and for single tubes attach them the same as the flat band.

attachicon.gif
Gypsy tab-1.JPG

attachicon.gif
Gypsy tab-2.JPG

attachicon.gif
Gypsy tab-3.JPG

The 5 mm hole also lets you use it for the match stick method if you get tired of the tabs.

attachicon.gif
P1000869.JPG
I wanted to like your post, but it wouldn't let me. Great ideas, and the pics really help me visualize it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I like Chicago screw (steel or brass ones anyway) and there is a whole section at Lowes with specialty bolts and nuts. Brass 10-24 with acorn nuts because you can drill a smaller hole. Also some knurled brass nuts with the 10-32 black allen-drive bolts look awesome. Be prepared to spend 30 minutes and like 4 or 5 USD. (Hahaha)

Also make or buy some rubber washer or get vinyl washers. I will take some pics tomorrow.

If you want pm and I'll send an assortment asap.

PS- I have a boat load of aluminium Chicago screws. I am willing to give most of those away. They require a very gentle touch.

PS- I took found sone pics on my phone.
Paracord tabs and a paracord/leather tab can be clean.

Here are some links to Lowes for pics of the items. I am not affiliated with Lowes... they just have a store near me.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-Count-10-Brass-Standard-SAE-Cap-Nuts/3012499?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-Fasteners-_-3012499:Hillman&CAWELAID=&kpid=3012499&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=578&k_clickID=go_625706834_34613750110_111132558790_pla-78266456166_m_1025954&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhKviBRCNARIsAAGZ7Cfem4DhmMKK2FaCSqOQ0nd8O6vn21TqU3LTbyc_ATz7cB_FPwgVCjcaAtIUEALw_wc

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-8mm-1-25-x-30mm-Allen-Drive-Cap-Screw/3012887

PS-ps- how thick are the forks? And are you making ttf or ott Roma tabs?

Attachments

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like Chicago screw (steel or brass ones anyway) and there is a whole section at Lowes with specialty bolts and nuts. Brass 10-24 with acorn nuts because you can drill a smaller hole. Also some knurled brass nuts with the 10-32 black allen-drive bolts look awesome. Be prepared to spend 30 minutes and like 4 or 5 USD. (Hahaha)

Also make or buy some rubber washer or get vinyl washers. I will take some pics tomorrow.

If you want pm and I'll send an assortment asap.

PS- I have a boat load of aluminium Chicago screws. I am willing to give most of those away. They require a very gentle touch.

PS- I took found sone pics on my phone.
Paracord tabs and a paracord/leather tab can be clean.

Here are some links to Lowes for pics of the items. I am not affiliated with Lowes... they just have a store near me.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-Count-10-Brass-Standard-SAE-Cap-Nuts/3012499?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-Fasteners-_-3012499:Hillman&CAWELAID=&kpid=3012499&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=578&k_clickID=go_625706834_34613750110_111132558790_pla-78266456166_m_1025954&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhKviBRCNARIsAAGZ7Cfem4DhmMKK2FaCSqOQ0nd8O6vn21TqU3LTbyc_ATz7cB_FPwgVCjcaAtIUEALw_wc

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-8mm-1-25-x-30mm-Allen-Drive-Cap-Screw/3012887

PS-ps- how thick are the forks? And are you making ttf or ott Roma tabs?
Hey MakoPat! Sorry for the late reply, I must have missed the notification. I really like the idea of using chicago screws as they're low profile, but Home Depot didn't have the size I needed. I could have used a hacksaw to take a 1/4" off the female part, but didn't want to mess with it that much. I did attempt some acorn nuts and bolts. While the attachment method seemed really secure, it felt too bulky for the frame. It's a 1" oak board-cut with narrow forks, and it was just looking too clunky. It was purely aesthetics though. Here's a picture of the first attachment method, and then the para-tabs I settled on thus far. I'm not giving up on the bolt attachment though! I really like it, I think I just need to make a frame better suited for that setup.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Forgot to attach pics. Here you go! Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone. They'll all get incorporated into future builds I'm sure.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts