Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys.
I was wondering, is it possible to use a fork tip reference when shooting the occularis tips ott?
In my mind it seems impossible, anyone that shoots that way please chime in :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Some don't like ocularis tips because of this issue, me included. OTT flatlands shooting gangsta with Ocularis tips makes for a messy sight picture for me, especially since I twist the pouch. I think ocularis is more suited to TTF.

Luck Over Skill had somebody make him an ocularis frame with squared off fork tips for the same reason, so you might explore a custom or homemade option. Or if you don't mind giving it a try yourself, some people have no trouble with this. A floating anchor might remedy it too.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, when it gets here I will discover myself I guess. I do think that ott will be more viable by sighting along the bands, I will be loosing the 10cm fork width though.
We will see. Worst case scenario, it will be a ttf only option :)

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Put a clear ball in the ocularis plug and look through it. Instant sight :thumbsup:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use the notches as a 'guide'
Same here. I don't shoot it often but when I do it is set up OTT. Even with the round fork tips you can still get decent band alignment. I prefer OTT with flat fork tips but the AO will work if you spend some time with it. I've even cut a few cards with an AO when I was still feeling it out.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I am sure I will be able to "hit" cards (I stopped trying to cut one for the time being, I do hit them though), I am just not sure if I will be able to get a consistent low anchor point with it.
Nathan had a very low anchor point, and honestly, I don't know how he manages not to shoot too high.
Just to be clear guys, I bought it for two reasons. First reason is that I had to get something from SS, as I promised I would when I got the scout clone. And second reason is that I just wanted to support SS.
I've got stuff from Pocket Predator, Wasp, Proshot. I couldn't let SS out ☺
Oh, will a 10mm bb work in the plugs?

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Yes, 10 mm balls should work.
Nathan doesn't fork reference, that's why he can anchor low, hold at a weird cant, and have his bands at different angles and still hit everything.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nathan doesn't fork reference, that's why he can anchor low, hold at a weird cant, and have his bands at different angles and still hit everything.
Yeah, that's what I can't understand, the way he is aiming.
My wild guess is that he is sighting the target somehow between the forks, but that doesn't really explain the low anchor point, which I am testing now.
His style is the only one I can't emulate, because I really can't understand it ????

·
Freezin' my Butt Off
709 Posts
My wild guess is that he is sighting the target somehow between the forks, but that doesn't really explain the low anchor point, which I am testing now.
His style is the only one I can't emulate, because I really can't understand it
Don't aim! It takes waaay longer to get accurate, but you can get a shot off in an instant, and won't need reference points.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
His style is the only one I can't emulate, because I really can't understand it
Don't aim! It takes waaay longer to get accurate, but you can get a shot off in an instant, and won't need reference points.
Well, I've tried that, when I shoot in an instant I still aim, but instantly, seriously now :)

·
See The Target
21,440 Posts
Heya guys.
I was wondering, is it possible to use a fork tip reference when shooting the occularis tips ott?
Focus on the target while being aware through your peripheral vision of the band alignment and the spot where the top edge of the top band touches the top fork . That is your reference . Don't think about the roundness of the fork .

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heya guys.
Focus on the target while being aware through your peripheral vision of the band alignment and the spot where the top edge of the top band touches the top fork . That is your reference . Don't think about the roundness of the fork .
Yep, that's my normal aiming method, but I am trying to find a way to get a higher reference point so as to lower my anchor point.
Probably I will revert to my usual way anyway, who knows.
One thing I will try though, is eliminating all reference points, as MJ said. This is the one thing I've never tried. I do expect a lot of flyers if I do that, but it'll be fun ????

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The axiom occularis arrived. I decided to shoot like Nathan, because why not?
Guys, I don't get it. I anchor low at the corner of my mouth, I shoot way high. Then I decide to go Nathan all the way. I disregard the frame, only using the edge of the top band as a guide for windage. The frame held so low that no reference can be made. Yep, I cant miss windage easily, and I had a few hits on a 4cm spinner.
It really makes no sense though. This way of shooting is epitome of inaccuracy, yet, somehow, the shots are too good for the first time shooting like that.
I am not sure I want to practice this thing, it's against everything I've been practicing till now, yet it's so exciting I can hardly describe it. Just focus on the target and nothing else, the frame hardly visible, let go, hit. This adrenaline is too much.
Oh, and the occularis system really needs some extra rubber to work, I don't like this fact much.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys please help. A few more shots, and I even abandoned that line as a guide. I just focus on the target, nothing else.
Can you explain why the shots go straight? I really don't get it. Windage is a joke, comparatively speaking, and I DONT use even the bands to aim. WHY?
Of course I emulated even the way Nathan had the bands on. I just can't emulate the 45° angle he is holding the frame, I am holding it more like 30°.
Anyway, is this instinctive or aiming? I was laughing at instinctive shooting till today, but now I am not so sure. I am confused to say the least.
What I know for sure is that it is so exciting I can't even describe it. I should stop shooting this way though, or else it will be my main way of shooting, and I am not sure if it will be good in the long run. Maybe shoot this way for a few weeks only?
I shouldn't have bought this frame....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me get this straight. I shoot a new frame, new elastic (SS black), the huge, unwieldy pouch it came with the frame, using a new technique that doesn't allow the use of a reference point, and I am more accurate than before. Yeah, I know, 20-30 shots are not a good indication, still it makes no sense. I am more than excited as you can see. I hit my spinners with confidence while I can't even describe how the heck I do it.
Just tell me what's happening. If I didn't know any better, I would think I am dreaming...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Are you having fun? Are you enjoying the experience?

Sounds like you are waaaay overthinking this and some strongly held preconceived notions are creating cognitive dissonance.

Who would imagine that an unwieldy pouch, rounded fork tips and new elastic could be accurate without effort?

Don't forget to enjoy yourself and have fun

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you having fun? Are you enjoying the experience?

Sounds like you are waaaay overthinking this and some strongly held preconceived notions are creating cognitive dissonance.

Who would imagine that an unwieldy pouch, rounded fork tips and new elastic could be accurate without effort?

Don't forget to enjoy yourself and have fun
It's the most enjoyable shooting I ever had till now, that's for sure. Pure adrenaline flowing with each shot.
It's just so different than what I'm used to, and you know about the power of habit :)
Oh, this pouch is sooooooo comfortable!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts