Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a convo recently about finishing, or in my case... zealously "over finishing"
Hey it's my catty and I'll sand if I want to LoL. It is indeed a labor of love for me, I really *do* like nicely finished wood. Heart and soul they say. Even so it is a slingshot and should be shot, right? With that love...there is pain - can't be one without the other...today has been one of those days.

2000 bearings have passed over Mini Skitty Tail's forks and every moment, from just a board to the last finishing touch, has been fun. Shot 2001...fork hit. Dang it! 2002 ... *another* fork hit. Long story short- this dogs day in the sun is done. With a moral...inspect your fork, inspect your blasted fork , inspect your dang blasted fork!

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again
Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free...

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Have a proper burial for it or perhaps you could set it on fire, but you just have to let go. It is that reason I stopped using solid wood and I only use plywood. I dont know if you can break plywood with a fork hit. Actually I dont get fork hits at all anymore because I hold my shooter at a 30 degree farward angle. Zero fork hits holding it that way and better than that no finger hits either.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am so sorry for your loss. Have a proper burial for it or perhaps you could set it on fire, but you just have to let go. It is that reason I stopped using solid wood and I only use plywood. I dont know if you can break plywood with a fork hit. Actually I dont get fork hits at all anymore because I hold my shooter at a 30 degree farward angle. Zero fork hits holding it that way and better than that no finger hits either.
MST will be properly interred
on the North wall after a trip to the taxidermist.

I'm beginning to think I can break anything I don't want broken and it wasn't that long ago I said "no fork hits" too...followed by several plus a catty kiss from Hail.

and Sam... Kenny died a long time ago and somehow resurrected nearly *every* episode...but MST is only going to burn incense from here on out

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss. If you send me money I will spend half of it on flowers for the funeral and pocket the other half.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hi Skit Slunga
lick it stick it and give it a kiss send it over to me we can and will breath new life into her
a cast aluminium we will do it for you F.O.C dont like to see a grown man cry pm me
all the best
Hogancastings
Pete

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Hi Skit Slunga
lick it stick it and give it a kiss send it over to me we can and will breath new life into her
a cast aluminium we will do it for you F.O.C dont like to see a grown man cry pm me
all the best
Hogancastings
Pete
Hogan, do you also do frames in stainless steel ?

·
Registered
740 Posts
ohhoohh skit i know how you fell! I cracked 3 forks on the same day! Normaly i never hit my fork but on this day..

·
Registered
382 Posts
Needs a proper burial or may be just epoxy it back using a 2 part metal filled epoxy paste like XF753. I'd drill a few holes in both directions insert epoxy followed by two metal rods/pins (nails) epoxy the heck out of it. Can be sanded down later. I would try to CPR first before burying it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Well, it is a boardcut. Making another one is probably easier than repairing the broken frame.

If for some reason a repair job is desirable anyhow, then I would break it all the way into the two parts, drill an 8,5mm hole into the two halves (as deep as possible), and then I would cut off a matching 8 mm steel rod piece, then smear away with epoxy and press the halves together.

But again, it is probably easier to cut out a clone.

Jörg

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Slice it in half, put a steel core in the middle and epoxy and pin it back together.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Many Thanks for the condolences, well wishes, repair/resurrect thoughts and *ahem* make it right with flowers scheme ... I have a hickory back up made up (foreshadowing) but I believe the best thing for MST is to let rest in green sand.
mebbe the S'Kitty too if Pete sees fit? If my name goes on it somewhere others may like to try their hands on em too.

·
Super Moderator
6,513 Posts
PIN IT, PIN IT, PIN IT!!!!!!! Drill a few holes crossway through the crack,get some toothpicks and Gorilla glue,press them in, let dry, Dremel ,sand-cut some lighter bands and load them up and start shooting your favorite fork again!!!! Never give her up for dead unless she's broke completely in half and even then look at her twice!! Go get her RIck and bring her back!!! Flatband

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
PIN IT, PIN IT, PIN IT!!!!!!! Drill a few holes crossway through the crack,get some toothpicks and Gorilla glue,press them in, let dry, Dremel ,sand-cut some lighter bands and load them up and start shooting your favorite fork again!!!! Never give her up for dead unless she's broke completely in half and even then look at her twice!! Go get her RIck and bring her back!!! Flatband
I absolutely agree with Flatband!!!! I have saved countless frames through the years with the same method. I have even used bamboo skewers small and med. thickness to pin with as they are stronger than toothpicks.
I also use superglue gel and find it works well and is super fast to use. There is a gorilla glue brand (Cyanoacrylate gel) that is mixed so it is less brittle than regular superglue and is impact resistant.
Pallan65

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
Had a convo recently about finishing, or in my case... zealously "over finishing"
Hey it's my catty and I'll sand if I want to LoL. It is indeed a labor of love for me, I really *do* like nicely finished wood. Heart and soul they say. Even so it is a slingshot and should be shot, right? With that love...there is pain - can't be one without the other...today has been one of those days.

2000 bearings have passed over Mini Skitty Tail's forks and every moment, from just a board to the last finishing touch, has been fun. Shot 2001...fork hit. Dang it! 2002 ... *another* fork hit. Long story short- this dogs day in the sun is done. With a moral...inspect your fork, inspect your blasted fork , inspect your dang blasted fork!

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again
Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free...
So sorry my friend

Make another like it.
Do the same design. Make a laminate.
Use multiple layers of hard wood for the center , and then use the beautiful wood you like on the outside.
Stay away from the plywood laminates, only because they look like plywood.
Quality harwood centers, and hardwood sides, are virtually indestructible, and they are far superior in looks, and strength.
Hand made hardwood laminates rule.
No need for laser cut steel or aluminum centers made on a CNC machine by another vendor.
I can show how to make strong,laminate , hardwood, slingshots...with using your own hands...and basic tools.
Sorry to carry on...but I take pride in the way some of my slingshots come out with a little experimentation.

You can use wood....and they are truly...Custom Made.
Even though I hunt deer with a compound bow now...I still love the hunt with my Bear Kodiak recurve #45 LB. pull.
It just means more to me when I take a buck deer, on the ground...with my recurve...or my compound
PSE Nova.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So sorry my friend

Make another like it.
Do the same design. Make a laminate.
Use multiple layers of hard wood for the center , and then use the beautiful wood you like on the outside.

Hand made hardwood laminates rule.

I can show how to make strong,laminate , hardwood, slingshots...with using your own hands...and basic tools.
Sorry to carry on...but I take pride in the way some of my slingshots come out with a little experimentation.

You can use wood....and they are truly...Custom Made.
Even though I hunt deer with a compound bow now...I still love the hunt with my Bear Kodiak recurve #45 LB. pull.
It just means more to me when I take a buck deer, on the ground...with my recurve...or my compound
PSE Nova.
Aye Laddy... I've had a few Kodiaks and Mags, a Wing or two also...Simpler finer things is why I gave up the compound Bear LTD for recurves, then a Flatbow...then a ThunderStick and then an Obal Yukon. A 72" 70# Pearson my father bought ,used in 1942 ,hangs on the wall (hence my spool of flax linen) I string it up and shoot it every now and then...it takes weeks of prep for that old bow! I hand twist my own strings(someone named PapaBull taught me) as well as barrel taper and fletch my Port Orford shafts. Bare fingers and no sights. Hours upon months launching an arrow at variable ranges, looking for that one perfect snap shot.
We'll talk laminates soon - I have a few things on my plate that have to be settled up though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts