Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys finally invested in a band saw, I am not too impressed.... First of this thing terrifies me its loud and powerful. Having not used one since I left school I must say I'm not feeling this tool at all. I have tried cutting some wood blanks and some pen blanks and well lets just say I have wasted a lot of expensive wood today in retrospect maybe using the cheap stuff before my decent stash would have been clever. The problem I'm finding foremost is it is hard to cut in a straight line. I have used the flat guide on the bench but the blade 6mm seems to twist into a curve and regardless of my speed or aim I always veer into this long curve and the amazing piece of Zebrano i had is now in my "small offcuts bin". Now I think the problem is the blade the 6mm is not much more than a endless jigsaw blade (which flex) maybe I should get a wider blade that will cut more rigid? I have been adjusting all afternoon with the blade tension and balance etc so I believe that the optimal conditions are present its just the blade does not perform great.... Any help guys would be great and well I feel really let down this was quite a big investment for me and hacking my naturals that have been drying for so long into the scrap bin was not fun.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cut up the free stuff first , cut some frames curves corners inside outside curves , then attempt some straight lines , trust me it will come . It will then be the best tool you ever got to play with . I am using an 1/8 th inch blade on a cheap band saw cutting 2 inch oak and black walnut , I take my time and have fun . MM

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was what I needed to hear. I just assumed something so powerful would take the skill out of the cutting and bang.. there went some of my nicest naturals
I'll mess round on a load of old plywood cut some palm swells etc before I make cuts on my keepers. Thanks MeatMechanic

·
Registered
287 Posts
You will be amazed at the dumb stuff you will come up with to cut out , just have fun and yes I still have all my fingers ! MM

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a word or two,make sure your blade guides, top and bottom are adjusted properly, not too loose or too snug on the blade, this will prevent your blade from wandering. Sometimes it can be a bad blade,too much set on one side of the blade can cause a blade to cut more to one side or the other and you end up with an angled or curved cut.
Melvin

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Cut up the free stuff first , cut some frames curves corners inside outside curves , then attempt some straight lines , trust me it will come . It will then be the best tool you ever got to play with . I am using an 1/8 th inch blade on a cheap band saw cutting 2 inch oak and black walnut , I take my time and have fun . MM
totally agree, frustrating at first then you will use it almost exclusively!

Get more than one blade type, I use 1/2" 4tpi hook points for ripping to keep a straight line and smaller for curves.

Youtube is your friend for learning how to set up. The videos are long winded but absolutely amazing for learning the basics

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Interestingly it was your tutorial video Akm that got me convinced I needed a band saw. The speed and neat cut you make on your naturals just looked ideal compared to my 20mins hacking away with a coping saw I guess ill just keep at it and only venture onto forks after my skills improve, I think it also daunts me how many adjustments can be made on this machine I'm a mess-a-phobe, ill keep playing with the settings until I get that bored that I forget the whole reason I brought the dang thing.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Tell me about it... Its like the first time you got a mobile phone, nightmare... look at it now!

If you get real stuck PM me with the problem and I will try to help best I can. I am normally not too far from a computer most of the time.

One thing, you must make sure you have made yourself a FLAT EDGE before cutting anything vertically!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There is a massive band saw at my work 5inch wide blade, a while back i tried to split a yew log with it and it kicked back at me ,i lost a tooth that day ,OH THE PAIN.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is a massive band saw at my work 5inch wide blade, a while back i tried to split a yew log with it and it kicked back at me ,i lost a tooth that day ,OH THE PAIN.
that was something I did not need to hear! Ouch! That was a hard lesson to learn. Glad you are alright.

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I just sat through half hour of tutorial set up vids... feel much more confident now but slightly worried, Most of the helpful tips tension and the tracking I kind of understood from the how to manual. It was the whole guide pin thing that threw me I thought that they should be far from the blade and not nearly touching which seems silly now as they are there to guide the blade. thanks again for the advice and its cool to see some of the cuts that can be achieved with the kind of machine... by by jigsaw.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
sounds like the blade tension might be a bit low too. make sure to follow through the set up instructions that should have come with the saw. I agree that when out of tune a bandsaw can be very frustrating, but when they are tuned, the bandsaw is the most versatile tool in a wood shop as far as i'm concerned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hang in there! Once you get the proper setup on the bandsaw and have gone through a few board feet of scrap lumber, that will be your favorite tool! Not as easy to learn as it looks but when you get the hang of it, you will never part with it.

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just in-case anybody uses this topic for reference,,the problem was solved with a larger blade. 1/2 inch blade is a dream come true I have never had such a great cutting machine even if it is high maintenance and a pain to set up these crisp clean cuts are worthwhile..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts