Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made or modified these from about 2000 to 2011. The first on the lower right is a Texas pocket style Flip. The second is just a example of my style of natural. The rest are my Shooting Star classic's. of different native American woods and a couple of modified ones. These were in my box for my kids!

Food Wood Ingredient Cookie cutter Font

Attachments

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
really nice Tex, I believe there are several that appear to be from Curly Maple maybe ?

( really like the next to the last one, bottom row right.......natural fork )
The two top and bottom middle one's are tiger grain or curly oak instead Maple and was one of the prettiest pieces of wood that I ever saw. I bought it at Lowes after a contractor put it back and said "look at what they are trying to sell for top quality hardwood)! My favorite from this bunch is the middle top one, it is Spalted Birds Eye maple!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This Spalted Bird's eye Maple is my favorite of the bunch, not because it is the prettiest one , but because I shoot it the best. You see every slingshot that is wood or partly wood shoots a little different. Now I do think that this one is pretty though!

Wood Creative arts Font Art Metal
Wood Tool Metal Art Still life photography

Attachments

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,453 Posts
really nice Tex, I believe there are several that appear to be from Curly Maple maybe ?

The two top and bottom middle one's are tiger grain or curly oak instead Maple and was one of the prettiest pieces of wood that I ever saw. I bought it at Lowes after a contractor put it back and said "look at what they are trying to sell for top quality hardwood)! My favorite from this bunch is the middle top one, it is Spalted Birds Eye maple!
I hear ya Tex, I went to Suwanee Hardwoods here in Georgia a few years back looking for some Cherry boards, and spotted a 1 x 12 board about 8 ft long leaning in the corner of their warehouse, and upon closer inspection ( I could tell it was highly figured from a distance ) it turned out to be a really nice piece of Quilted Maple that the shop guy said was just a piece of

" trash " wood as it wasn't clear lumber they could sell.

I told him I would take it off their hands if he'd help me pick some good " clear " Cherry lumber, and he agreed.................best deal I ever made as that is a gorgeous piece of figured Maple, and I still have it, LOL.

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:3482]

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
The two top and bottom middle one's are tiger grain or curly oak instead Maple and was one of the prettiest pieces of wood that I ever saw. I bought it at Lowes after a contractor put it back and said "look at what they are trying to sell for top quality hardwood)! My favorite from this bunch is the middle top one, it is Spalted Birds Eye maple![/size]
I hear ya Tex, I went to Suwanee Hardwoods here in Georgia a few years back looking for some Cherry boards, and spotted a 1 x 12 board about 8 ft long leaning in the corner of their warehouse, and upon closer inspection ( I could tell it was highly figured from a distance ) it turned out to be a really nice piece of Quilted Maple that the shop guy said was just a piece of
I told him I would take it off their hands if he'd help me pick some good " clear " Cherry lumber, and he agreed.................best deal I ever made as that is a gorgeous piece of figured Maple, and I still have it, LOL.

Heck of a find for sure. I imagine we could get better deals at lumber yards because we only need scraps.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,453 Posts
The two top and bottom middle one's are tiger grain or curly oak instead Maple and was one of the prettiest pieces of wood that I ever saw. I bought it at Lowes after a contractor put it back and said "look at what they are trying to sell for top quality hardwood)! My favorite from this bunch is the middle top one, it is Spalted Birds Eye maple![/size]

Heck of a find for sure. I imagine we could get better deals at lumber yards because we only need scraps.
Yessir, in fact, Suwanee Hardwoods used to have a " scraps " bin outside you could pick through and get some really nice boards for cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts