Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hello,

I have started to test the usability of balloons for slingshot bands. Only one type of balloons has arrived so far, but my tests have been quite discouraging. The stretch and the speed are disappointing.

However, a simple balloon band set may be great for kids to start slingshooting!

The short stretch (10 cm bands will stretch to 40 cm) is be very much OK for a little boy, and the draw is easy. Shooting marbles or small stones is fun.

Put a band set on a Cougar, here:

Of course the power set I made has two lengthes of balloons, a total of six balloons per side. Harder draw, but weak.

Regards

Jörg

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No... very weak in fact. I think that there are additional chemicals in the rubber used for balloons. They only stretch to 400%, not 550%, and the retraction speed is slower than natural rubber.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Joerg- you will probably do much better with unlubricated latex condoms. This is of course not for the kids, but I would love to see the results and video! If this works it would be great to know because in urban survival situations condoms should be readily available...

*edit* nevermind- I found your condom and broomstick video:

LOL I should have figured that you had already thought of it!

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
I used ballons as a kid when I couldn't find anything else. Good only for short range and very light ammo. I used whatever I could find when I was young, Innertubes, balloons, my mothers dishwashing gloves(she killed me for that),my father's old galoshes and raincoat (he killed me for that),. I also would look around in school for rubber bands and tie them all together. Surprising speed using ganged rubber bands. I wonder now how I got any studying done at all!
Flatband

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I used ballons as a kid when I couldn't find anything else. Good only for short range and very light ammo. I used whatever I could find when I was young, Innertubes, balloons, my mothers dishwashing gloves(she killed me for that),my father's old galoshes and raincoat (he killed me for that),. I also would look around in school for rubber bands and tie them all together. Surprising speed using ganged rubber bands. I wonder now how I got any studying done at all!
Flatband
By your account you are like a cat and have used 2 of your 9 lives, that we know of. Funny kid stories though! I can picture a little Gary, all into making his slingshot work and later, after the fun, RATS!!! Those gloves and galoshes were that important??? Huh?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I notice the bands pictured are very short. I got best results from longer bands.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I notice the bands pictured are very short. I got best results from longer bands.
Well, I tested this band set as well (12 balloons in total):

Still very lame. Also, you have to draw out and release immediately - even three seconds holding time will lead to an even weaker shot.

Jörg

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I believe it was ZDP who came up with it (iirc).
Or the Schwing Sling, Shlongshot, Love Launcher, Cupid's Bow, Casanova Catty. We could go on all night with this game (no pun intended this last sentence).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts