Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
"500+fps Speed demon"
668 Posts
Depends on its intended use, target or hunting? Hunting i would recommend .44 cal lead shot or larger steel, target i would recommend anything thats safe and accurate to shoot!
Lead is toxic to humans and wildlife, i would recommend washing hands after use!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on its intended use, target or hunting? Hunting i would recommend .44 cal lead shot or larger steel, target i would recommend anything thats safe and accurate to shoot!
Lead is toxic to humans and wildlife, i would recommend washing hands after use!!
thanks i target so i will use steel

only one prob what size

·
Registered
551 Posts
lead is poisonous if you basically handle it and don't wash your hands, over and over and over.

not even regular shooters, according to members of firearms forums im on, who shoot weekly, handle lead bullets, and have had their levels checked, see any significant increase in lead levels.

just wash your hands.

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Cairo
If your only target shooting marbles are a good option and a cheap one at that, I have purchased marbles for $2.00 per 100
Thats not bad at all I'd say, if you want even cheaper make clay ammo. Not perfect but fun to shoot, does it really matter how precise? Afterall precision of shooting rests in the hands of the shooter more than the ammo and the slingshot itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cairo
If your only target shooting marbles are a good option and a cheap one at that, I have purchased marbles for $2.00 per 100
Thats not bad at all I'd say, if you want even cheaper make clay ammo. Not perfect but fun to shoot, does it really matter how precise? Afterall precision of shooting rests in the hands of the shooter more than the ammo and the slingshot itself.
i also hunt so i need a inbetween

·
Registered
606 Posts
Try everything and use whats at hand. Ebay is a good place to start for steel balls and you can get lead balls in .44 cal and 16mm off Pete at Hogancastings.

·
Banned
341 Posts
I shoot both, I have for years shot lead exclusively, now, I like steel also. In fact, I think when I get to shooting one type I tend to want to shoot that mostly. The lead hits hard, but so does steel if you go a little bigger.

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Cairo
[/quote]

You want to avoid toxic lead you can use 14mm steel balls plenty of knock down and 1/2 inch hex nuts are great up to 25-30 yards or you can use stones as I use when I hunt. Plenty of options to lead if you fear its toxicity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cairo
[/quote]

You want to avoid toxic lead you can use 14mm steel balls plenty of knock down and 1/2 inch hex nuts are great up to 25-30 yards or you can use stones as I use when I hunt. Plenty of options to lead if you fear its toxicity.
[/quote]

i dont fear it but i have this thing called a mom so.....

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It's mostly the airborn lead particles that are the problem. Shooting firearms indoors with a metal backstop and poor ventilation will often elevate your blood lead levels. I had this problem about 15 years ago. I stopped shooting handguns indoors and my lead levels returned to normal. However, I was still shooting large amounts of airgun pellets in my basement but I used a "silent pellet trap" (duct seal putty trap). The soft trap prevents airborn lead from being a problem. It works because my blood test showed very acceptable lead levels (same as non-shooters).

When using lead projectiles remember to:
1 - Wash hands after shooting
2 - Do not touch food while you are shooting
3 - Do not put lead in your mouth
4 - Do casting outdoors, preferrably with a fan pushing the fumes away from you

Cheers,
Northerner

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Lead toxicity is greatly over rated. As long as you don't eat it or get shot with it and remember to wash your hands after handling it, you shouldn't have any problems. I've been shooting and fishing with it since I was 7 years old, and casting and reloading with it most of my adult life and no problems yet. Most of the horror stories you hear are spread by environuts and are hugely exaggerated.

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Getting the lead out of your body depends on your diet. For me I would leave the lead alone. You get it on your pouch on your shooter on your fingers. Steel is lighter so it will be faster and if you hit something hard and you recover your steel shot you can shoot it again. Once the lead deforms it will have to be shaped again to fly straight. If you dont like steel it would be better to use an alloy. I would rather shoot a marble it is fast and it will kill a can just as dead as lead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.