Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just try your best to break it. If you can't ... it's a slingshot. That's a great idea there. Keep us posted please.
well,I didn't try to break it but as I was shaping it a crack showed at the base of the fork.I glued it back together and cut out another from Mycarta and glued them together.Now it will stay in one piece!

·
Registered
128 Posts
All woods are not created equal. A half inch of Bamboo is a lot tougher than a half inch of pine. I have only had one home made slingshot frame split on me.....it was made our of Mahogany.GP
Any idea how it split? Forkhit? Was it wet? I have a mahogany slingshot too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All woods are not created equal. A half inch of Bamboo is a lot tougher than a half inch of pine. I have only had one home made slingshot frame split on me.....it was made our of Mahogany.GP

The wood was softer than I thought,I am not sure it is bamboo.The crack was there I think when purchased.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The wood was softer than I thought,I am not sure it is bamboo.The crack was there I think when purchased.
Doesn't look like bamboo to me, I have a bamboo slingshot too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just try your best to break it. If you can't ... it's a slingshot. That's a great idea there. Keep us posted please.
well,I didn't try to break it but as I was shaping it a crack showed at the base of the fork.I glued it back together and cut out another from Mycarta and glued them together.Now it will stay in one piece!
Where you cutting close to your outline? Sometimes that crack can happen because of grain defect. So I usually go wide on my outline, to rasp and file into shape.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where you cutting close to your outline? Sometimes that crack can happen because of grain defect. So I usually go wide on my outline, to rasp and file into shape.
I do the same,cut outside the line and file to shape.It is backed with brown Micarta now and should be great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts