Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New topic. Has anyone ever thought of what may work as an alternative to the rubber/latex bands which are essential for all slingshots? I’m thinking of the theoretical possibility that, in the event of an apocalypse, those fancy Therabands will not be available. Excluding left over inner tubes, are there any natural fiber products ( trees) that can be used? I know that one can work from natural rubber but that is not easily available.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well that depends where you live! I have rubber trees where I am but gosh, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the processing of natural rubber because the smell is really unpleasant... processing rubber isn't rocket science, but you'd only get it to a raw sheets... and that's still not ready to be used as bands... For.me, I'd go back to my childhood of using the inner tubes of tyres or combining chains of rubber bands to put something together. Of course, it would never perform as well as the modern elastics we use now. I hope we never run out... I'd probably hoard elastics if I thought there was a risk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think that natural elastics degenerate with age. Do you know how to cultivate rubber trees? How easy is it to immigrate there?
I have not cultivated rubber trees but I understand they are not difficult, a lot easier than oil palm and some grow wild... and you can find it throughout the tropics.

And yes, natural rubber degenerates with age and UV exposure. It's a protein that makes it elastic and that will breakdown over time. Processed rubber usually contain additives and stabilisers to prolong.

And when there isn't any rubber, in a survival situation, you could always make a bow and arrows or you could fashion a blowpipe... There are other options for projectile weapons capable of taking game...

·
Registered
309 Posts
My assumption is that when the zombies start doing their thing and the online ordering of elastics stops, you could probably loot a few therabands from a sporting goods store to build up your supply, if its low. then you will have whatever the life expectancy of the rubber is to figure it out. If the bands become unusable in three years without proper storage, then you still have that amount of time to figure out how to get more or do without. I have no idea how long that would be. but I assume that if you have a pretty good stash available locally, it will be long enough that you should have bigger stuff to figure out for a while... But that being said, I definately appreciate wanting to be able to do for myself if the need arises.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am aware that there are many alternatives to the easy to make slingshot such as a crossbow, spear, shepherd sling. I cannot find any elasticated material that can be a substitute for rubber latex. None of archery variants rely on an elastic cord.
I suppose that I will have to move into the tropical jungle if the slingshot is my only hunting machine. I should ask Joerg Sprave what he thinks

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
In the case of a real apocalypse, chances are that we would rapidly return to square one i.e. throwing stones and using clubs to solve our problems: :headbang:

I think we'll be OK when it comes to rubber for slingshot tubes and flat bands in future, no worries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts